E Bike cheats

waynen

Perhaps more a case of organisers not addressing the need for a separate category than ebike riders looking to cheat?

Organisers need to catch up with times, if you own an ebike and there is no specific category....what do you do?

Maybe there are not yet enough ebikes participants in SA, yet

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there shouldn't be an e-bike category since someone will win the category and then a few years later start to complain that they didn't get A prize 

E-bike riders need to register as an ebike rider and NOT get A time when they finish , they also need to be listed LAST on the results list 

...but we should just stop riding races and start riding for fun , cause that's what seems to be missing for most people , the FUN 

Another cry baby e bike thread.

I was just in Lake Como riding some truly ridiculous climbs. It was truly fantastic to see those climbs and those views accessible to people who could not otherwise get up there. E-bikes were EVERYWHERE.

If they weren't on e-bikes they would have instead been in cars clogging up all those hairpin bends. Viva E-bikes!

Ebikes in mtb races & ebikes on trails - 2 completely different subjects

hahaha, I struggle on climbs, like really really really struggle. On the rare occasion I will do well, but thats due to a number of factors. 

However, right now I am not interested in an ebike, there are people who are and people who hate them. 

Everytime one comes flying past me will I am gasping for air and cant locate my asthma pump, I think to myself, try that without your engine!

What does it matter if people ride races with e-bikes.

Are you upset that they are having more fun, cause it's not like they are on the podium.

I am PRO ebike ... for various events and various reasons ....

BUT, I had a momentary rethink this morning ..... we took part in the Staalwater FUNRIDE outside Caledon.

There was enough hills to keep everybody honest !!

The headwind was a REAL factor for the first half of the race, sorry, funride !!

I did this ride with Maritz (8 year old), doing the 15km ride.  My hand on his back up steep hills, me taking the head wind, and him slip streaming into the head wind .... now if we it was a "race" and if we were anywhere near the top of the field that would qualify for all kinds of cheating ....

There were many more parent-kid groups riding, and we all chatted and helped each other out, motivating and encouraging the kids into that head wind .... that head wind had adults walking !!

As it happens with these events, towards the end of our ride the longer distances started finishing, and passing us at speed.  RESPECT to those young riders finishing the 40km in record time in very trying conditions !!!

And then two people came past us .... and yes, when I saw the ebike I was "less rational" than I am typically on these threads .... I have NOT seen the gent on the ebike "helping" his partner up hills or into the wind !!!  And yet, I can only wonder how the rest of the 40km field feels about the "pairing" ending very high up the field ....

To be CLEAR :

- I have NO issue with anybody riding a funride on an ebike !!

- I am way too slow to worry about position .... so whatever they get up to, certainly wont make or break my day ....

- I can fully appreciate why an up and coming rider working on a race CV takes a strong view when such riders skew the stats ....

- I take a very dim view IF a pairing uses an ebike to give the other an unfair advantage .... (for me this is a non-issue anything outside the top 10....)

PS - I was not going to sour a good day out by worrying about an ebike !!  Saw them dissapear from view and from my mind, and ENJOYED the rest of the FUN-ride.  We stopped for water, and sweets, and still came in mid-pack .... frankly the position is a NON-issue.  What is important to US - Maritz hung in there, kept his sense of humour, and only walked two short sections .... LESS than many of the adults.

When i clicked on the name to see who the race snake was there was a pic of a man boobed chap on an Ebike.

Be honest, it was the man boobs that really pissed you off, not the ebike Edited by Markellis

hahaha, I struggle on climbs, like really really really struggle. On the rare occasion I will do well, but thats due to a number of factors. 

However, right now I am not interested in an ebike, there are people who are and people who hate them. 

Everytime one comes flying past me will I am gasping for air and cant locate my asthma pump, I think to myself, try that without your engine!

Hiehie .....

I know that feeling ....

My normal response (thinking) : GLAD this is one more ride that I can manage this climb under my own steam.

Now this is a very real thought, with Maritz steadily getting speed, and slowly getting the stamina .... all too soon I may "need" an ebike to keep up with him, or he will have to stop and wait every so often .....

Another cry baby e bike thread.

I was just in Lake Como riding some truly ridiculous climbs. It was truly fantastic to see those climbs and those views accessible to people who could not otherwise get up there. E-bikes were EVERYWHERE.

If they weren't on e-bikes they would have instead been in cars clogging up all those hairpin bends. Viva E-bikes!

he said "racing" not tooling around with george clooney in lake como ....... -_- 

#namedropmuch

No sweat, IMO as long as they not awarded podium by relegating a non ebike rider to miss out then I don't see an issue and if you do beat someone on an ebike think of the brag rights you can boast about. With orgs realizing that its growing many are starting to include them as separate category but where there is not one I'm not aware of a single event that's had a ebike rider credited with podium. 

They don't allow them in sanctioned races. They're banned in all forms of racing overseas, why would some dip$h1t here try use it to improve his lousy time?

Pathetic.

He probably owns a BMW

Sorry with respect i must say that you are incorrect, for the majority of people that have entered a race their position is relevant and would prefer to be 650th and not 655th if 5 people had cheated in front of them.

What actually got me to post my rant was, this morning I rode a popular route in KZN, when i checked my Strava i saw that for one of the climbs A Hill (top SA rider) was 42 seconds and the KOM was 32 seconds. When i clicked on the name to see who the race snake was there was a pic of a man boobed chap on an Ebike.

For me in the first instance i want to improve myself and i give you 100% for that, but i also want to fairly compete against my fellow cyclists.

Every Segment on Strava is a challenge and i want to beat my own time and improve my position.

What does someone on an ebike have to do with you achieving your target time?

Focus on your fitness then ebikers won't be a problem.

Hiehie .....

I know that feeling ....

My normal response (thinking) : GLAD this is one more ride that I can manage this climb under my own steam.

Now this is a very real thought, with Maritz steadily getting speed, and slowly getting the stamina .... all too soon I may "need" an ebike to keep up with him, or he will have to stop and wait every so often .....

I suck on the ups, but I am half decent on the downs. I will get an ebike one day, but not anytime soon or in 5 years, probably around 10 years from now, unless I get a fat tyre HT which I will use for commuting.