Safety / Self-defence gear on MTB

dannygirl

After a close call above Coetzenburg a few weekends ago where a rock-wielding tikkop tried to relieve me of my bike, I've been thinking about options for improving my personal safety when out alone on the bike.  

At this stage, the only viable option is directional pepperspray mounted on the handlebar - but this requires that I get fairly close to the perp. 

Any other ideas / suggestions? 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lady commuter recently successfully used pepper spray to get away from 2 x scumbags on the cycle lane.

https://twitter.com/CTCycleLanes/status/1185433782523961344

If you go this route, get the stream type and not a spray.

It is not a guarantee, but it certainly is better than nothing ... keep it on your hydration pack shoulder strap/band for ease of access and so that it is always on your person.

I velcro a stream type pepper spray to the top tube. Have practiced grabbing it and flicking the trigger to active and shooting and I hope never to be in a situation where I have to decide whether I'm going to use it.

I velcro a stream type pepper spray to the top tube. Have practiced grabbing it and flicking the trigger to active and shooting and I hope never to be in a situation where I have to decide whether I'm going to use it.

The only reason I am not very keen on this is if you get knocked off the bike and are then separated from the pepper spray

As Soap would say...

'I think knives are a good idea. Big, f**k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S**t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.'

As Soap would say...

'I think knives are a good idea. Big, f**k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S**t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.'

Or bring the Bren gun

or a blue tooth speaker playing Celine Dion ... that will teach them

Celine-Dion-2-AP.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

This is just WRONG !!!  :eek:

There was a time when she was a sexy young lady .... and could have sworn it was not that long ago .... demmit, where did the years go ..  :ph34r: