Willie Smith Vlog: Bus takes out fellow rider

Vetplant

I'm not gonna get in a debate about who's right or wrong.. But I would tell you that if that was me on a bike then I would have been as far left as possible

Same here.

Someone's example of riding far to the left and still nearly getting run over by a lady on the phone refers. If you were more to the right you wouldn't have had a near miss, you would've been under that car..

Having said that, I'm not taking sides as to who was right or wrong in this instance. I just hope the rider heals soon and that the bus driver gets taken to court for his actions

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that there is NO requirement for us to ride there.

The bus was wrong, no need for should / could.

In a perfect world it would be perfectly fine and safe to cycle just inside the yellow line but unfortunately we don't,we live in a lawless society with some people who have no respect for each other or the law,so my take is that whoever cycles so close to the yellow line is plain irresponsible and is looking to be hit by a vehicle.

There are lost of opinions stated as facts here...

Simple risk assessment:

- How big is the risk of a collision for me on a specific piece of road? Where can I go to mitigate that risk?

- Hoe catastrophic would that be for me? On my bike I’m by far the softest target on the road.

EVERY TIME I’m out on the road riding, I choose to decrease my risk. Simple. I would NEVER ride that far right when there is so much space available to the left.

I’m not blaming anyone, but sometimes being right is less important than being safe.

MY sentiments exactly.

To hijack this thread for a moment.

Is it not illegal to cycle in the yellow lane ?

(Talking from a strictly legal perspective)

Does anyone have an actual fact on this question? I'm of the opinion that we ride illegally in the yellow as a courteay/preservation mechanism.

I did read recently that driving temporally in the yellow to allow faster cars by is legal but who has the truth on cyclists in the yellow?

Thats not a phone, he is holding a squirrel. Speculation helps on one.

Can you be more mindful on posting such left field, hilarious comments in the middle of such a serious thread on a weekday. I just laughed out (really) loud in my very quiet office. 

Does anyone have an actual fact on this question? I'm of the opinion that we ride illegally in the yellow as a courteay/preservation mechanism.

I did read recently that driving temporally in the yellow to allow faster cars by is legal but who has the truth on cyclists in the yellow?

I copied this from the act available here 

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/201409/act93of1996.pdf

"driver" means any person who drives or attempts to drive any vehicle or who rides or 

attempts to ride any pedal cycle or who leads any draught, 

pack or saddle animal or herd or flock of animals, 

and "drive" or any like 40 word has a corresponding meaning; (ii) 

Here are the definitions of the roadway from the same act

(xviii) "edge of the roadway" means the boundary between the roadway and the 45 shoulder, which is indicated by an appropriate road traffic sign, or in the absence of such sign- . (a) in the case of a road with a bituminous or concrete surface, the edge of such surface; or · (b) in the case of any other road, the edge of the improved part of the 50 road intended for vehicular use; 

(xxxi) "kerb line" means the boundary between the shoulder and the verge or, in the absence of a shoulder, the part between the edge of the roadway and the verge;

(lxii) "roadway" means that portion of a road, street or thoroughfare improved, constructed or intended for vehicular traffic'which is between the edges of the roadway;

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Rules-on-the-Road#part1_1

Vehicle to be driven on the left side of roadway

Any person driving a vehicle on a public road shall do so by driving on the left side of the roadway and, where such roadway is of sufficient width, in such manner as not to encroach on that half of the roadway to his or her right: Provided that such encroachment shall be permissible-

Then here they talk about the shoulder

Prohibition on driving on shoulder of public road, except in certain circumstances

1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

2) The driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction-

(a) while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and

(b) if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;

© if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

If we apply what they say here then technically we can be in emergency lane "to allow faster drivers to overtake"

If we adhere to these rules 

https://businesstech.co.za/news/motoring/165365/this-is-when-youre-allowed-to-drive-in-the-emergency-lane-in-south-africa/

The exception

The yellow lane may never be used as a passing lane on a freeway with the following exception, 

noted Herbert. On single carriageways, vehicles may move into the yellow lane to allow faster 

moving vehicles to pass. However this too is governed by limitations.

It may only be undertaken:

To allow another vehicle to overtake.

If there is no chance of endangering anyone’s life.

During daylight hours.

If you have a clear 150m of visibility in front of you 

(Thus it may not be performed on a blind rise or in heavy rain or fog).

Edit: duplication

Edited by Quagga

And that's exactly the problem, we as cyclist expect everyone else to obey the laws on the road. If they had kept further to the left, and didn't ride next to each other all this would have been avoided..some basic road rules for you..read point number 2 and number 5. At least two violations by the group, but no lets rather blame someone else...

Reg 311.

1. No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.
  2. Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.
  3. No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.
  4. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.
  5. No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.
  6. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handlebars of such pedal cycle.
  7. Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.
  8. A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles shall do so in such manner that all the wheels Special provisions relating to freeways.

Boet, the group was in the yellow lane which is not the road way so breaking none of these.

They should have been over the yellow lane actually in the road. 

Your victim blaming here is painful. The bus driver did not pass another road user with appropriate space. 

Stop being a bell end.

In a perfect world it would be perfectly fine and safe to cycle just inside the yellow line but unfortunately we don't,we live in a lawless society with some people who have no respect for each other or the law,so my take is that whoever cycles so close to the yellow line is plain irresponsible and is looking to be hit by a vehicle.

Wow, you took the victim blaming to another level there, I presume you feel that any woman wearing a short skirt asked for it and was irresponsible as well?

The bus is actually moving across the yellow line towards the cyclists putting their lives at danger.

The 2nd photo shows the cyclist had to swerve towards the bus to avoid hitting/riding over the falling cyclist, but still maintaining his position behind the yellow line avoiding the bus moving towards the inside of the yellow line. All the cyclists were inside the yellow line when the bus passed.

Clear as daylight the bus driver is 100% in the wrong here.

Cant believe this is still being debated

These pictures from Nathrix's post show that the bus driver is at fault by moving towards the cyclists while he was passing them.

There is no attempt to keep a safe distance between himself (the bus) and the cyclists

post-182-0-11399600-1575628689_thumb.png

This is how the gap should like, its the responsability of the overtaking vehicle to maintain this gap

post-182-0-92671000-1575628903_thumb.png

Edited by SwissVan

To all who were hurt please heal as swiftly as is possible.

Don't forget, having confidence issues once you are healed is normal. Please talk to a professional if necessary, it helps a lot.

Good luck with the recovery.

Let us know how it goes.

These pictures from Nathrix's post show that the bus driver is at fault by moving towards the cyclists while he was passing them.

There is no attempt to keep a safe distance between himself (the bus) and the cyclists

Ich bin völlig einverstanden.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.32.33.png

If I look at this picture, the only glimmer on an excuse I can give for the bus driver was that there was a vehicle approaching from the other side.

Still does not excuse his behaviour though