Road tyre brand and model, width, your body weight and tyre pressure

Mamil

Summer Yksion Pro UST tubeless tires 25mm, 95psi back, 90psi front. 86kg 

Winter Conti 4000S. 90psi back, 85psi front, 86kg+ (winter riding is slower and less hills, black ice!)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

81kg

Continental GP 4000  ((n my opinion a better tyre than the GP5000  :ph34r: )

28mm (Scott Foil rim brake  / Supersix rim brake)

rear 6.2 bar

front 5.9 bar

you one of the very few people who think that...

Real question:

There are some very precise measurements being quoted, but how accurate are they ?

I tried two pumps and their (analog) gauges differed by about 10% and neither was what my digital Topeak read.

I am going with the digital one.

I have to aggree with you RE the 4000 and 5000 - my 5000's felt horribly squishy and unstable and punctured frequently. Wasn't happy.

81kg

Continental GP 4000  ((n my opinion a better tyre than the GP5000  :ph34r: )

28mm (Scott Foil rim brake  / Supersix rim brake)

rear 6.2 bar

front 5.9 bar

Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x23c:

+- 7 bar on my newish analogue Track pump.

+-85kg in "racing tim"

Edited by Wannabe

There are some very precise measurements being quoted, but how accurate are they ?

I don't think 100% accuracy is that much of a factor. Most of us will use the same pump all the time so the relative pressure will be the same not so?

Weirdly I have 2 pumps. One is for the roadies and one is one of those air tank boys and that lives with the mtb's.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Wow, that must an absolutely terrible ride! Why on earth would you pump them so hard?  :eek:

I have just always had them at that pressure and don't like the feel of soft tyres. I ride my 25mm tubbies at 9 bar!

I have just always had them at that pressure and don't like the feel of soft tyres. I ride my 25mm tubbies at 9 bar!

You mean you don't like the feel of comfort and grip while cornering?  :eek:

To be honest never tried lower pressures. I just sort of inflate to just below the suggested max on the tyre.

I'll drop the pressures for this weekend's ride and see.

Edited by Prince

25mm GP4000s II

Tubolito Tubes

Weight: 69kg

TRAINING

Front: 6bar

Rear: 6.3bar

RACING

Front: 6.6bar

Rear: 7bar

all about gaining comfort on my training rides.

in races i inflate higher

Edited by Furbz

To be honest never tried lower pressures. I just sort of inflate to just below the suggested max on the tyre.

I'll drop the pressures for this weekend's ride and see.

you have not lived. might be slightly more rolling resistance, but the comfort gained is something you cannot turn your nose up to. especially if its a training ride

you have not lived. might be slightly more rolling resistance, but the comfort gained is something you cannot turn your nose up to. especially if its a training ride

Pretty much all of the studies show that lower pressures have lower rolling resistance on everything except perfectly smooth roads so inflating your tyres harder doesn't even give you less rolling resistance unless you are doing track cycling.

Pretty much all of the studies show that lower pressures have lower rolling resistance on everything except perfectly smooth roads so inflating your tyres harder doesn't even give you less rolling resistance unless you are doing track cycling.

all this talk of rolling resistance of fatter lower pressure tyres, has there been any studies that look at the aerodynamic pros/cons of running fatter rubber ?

Link to these studies, please? Keen to read them.