UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

I heard Rob say something about the British men not having a spot at Olympics? Did I misunderstand completely or is there something to that statement?

That is where the commentators would make it easier for everyone... explain why they say what they say. They might assume they are only talking to the converted, and forget that new people don't always know everything from just watching.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is where the commentators would make it easier for everyone... explain why they say what they say. They might assume they are only talking to the converted, and forget that new people don't always know everything from just watching.

Ja, they went on ad nauseum about hardtails on that course, and then when Rob actually says something interesting he doesn't expand on it. 

A decent, well maintained dropper should not fail over the course of a race weekend. Its possible they trained for a few days on a very wet track before the sun came out for the race weekend. But then surely they should have been cleaned up/serviced before what was a totally dry race. 

Neither post was fully down which suggests that it was simply a failure at the actuator. Either internally or the cable itself. The latter isn't uncommon especially when the bikes are dismantled and reassembled so often. Things like fasteners are not deigned to be continuously threaded. Teams are running on reduced budgets so components life will be more in the spot light  in 2021 and 2022 as shortages affect them too.

Ja, they went on ad nauseum about hardtails on that course, and then when Rob actually says something interesting he doesn't expand on it. 

ya abut that's what creates the edge of the seat experience as you sit there beer in hand waiting for said expansion.

Personally i really like the Rob Warner Bart Bretjens combo. In order to fully appreciate what Rob does one has to follow his ride insights segments on RedBull.tv. Really good stuff in there. Bart is really insightful but one does have to pick through his Dutch to English translations.

On them taking so long to determine LuKas dropper failure: remember they're following the race on the TV just as you are and are trying to pick up on many things. They're following footage from every camera on the course on a few large screens that splits the view into 4 or 6 segments while trying to deliver live and exciting commentary. it could be a lot worse, we could have Gerald De KOK

Neither post was fully down which suggests that it was simply a failure at the actuator. Either internally or the cable itself. The latter isn't uncommon especially when the bikes are dismantled and reassembled so often. Things like fasteners are not deigned to be continuously threaded. Teams are running on reduced budgets so components life will be more in the spot light  in 2021 and 2022 as shortages affect them too.

Perhaps they need to dismantle the bikes - hardtails at that - a little less often. You know "if it aint broke don't fix it" kind of thing. 

I have found my Spaz command post droppers to be very reliable - even when the one failed because of lack of service, it still locked in place and could be manually raised if it was down. I guess a cable issue could be more of an issue though...

Perhaps they need to dismantle the bikes - hardtails at that - a little less often. You know "if it aint broke don't fix it" kind of thing. 

I have found my Spaz command post droppers to be very reliable - even when the one failed because of lack of service, it still locked in place and could be manually raised if it was down. I guess a cable issue could be more of an issue though...

Most droppers as you rightly say should be reliable. The gas strut is a simple and very well proven device. Cables can jam and the little pinch bolt retained actuating nut can break off or the cable can break at that point. It happens and a few mechanicals does make for some exciting racing

ya abut that's what creates the edge of the seat experience as you sit there beer in hand waiting for said expansion.

Personally i really like the Rob Warner Bart Bretjens combo. In order to fully appreciate what Rob does one has to follow his ride insights segments on RedBull.tv. Really good stuff in there. Bart is really insightful but one does have to pick through his Dutch to English translations.

On them taking so long to determine LuKas dropper failure: remember they're following the race on the TV just as you are and are trying to pick up on many things. They're following footage from every camera on the course on a few large screens that splits the view into 4 or 6 segments while trying to deliver live and exciting commentary. it could be a lot worse, we could have Gerald De KOK

JUST HOW DID YOU KNOW I HAD A BEER IN MY HAND .......... MIND BLOWN

for a first ever uci xco race that was fantastic. included a puncture too it seems. I assume he will get an olympic slot with this result

Assume you mean first ever Elite XCO WC race?

He won U23 WC and World Champs last year

Assume you mean first ever Elite XCO WC race?

He won U23 WC and World Champs last year

And Hatherly held the U23 WC in 2018, but Rob has never been too excited about him.... Bart however does notice him and brings up his name when applicable.

Rob has a moment whenever Annie Last is seen in a bunch of riders, at the back of the race ... and then nearly faints when he sees Pidcock.

Next best thing to a Brit is a NZ rider ... so when he sees Anton Cooper his voice also peaks.

Now this is all good, but these racers are all fighting for airtime during a race or on media outside of a race to highlight both themselves and their sponsors ... so blaring wildly when you see your UK rider and over sell them compared to the others who are also in the race in a close proximity in the race is rather unfortunate.

That's just my take on it. 

And Hatherly held the U23 WC in 2018, but Rob has never been too excited about him.... Bart however does notice him and brings up his name when applicable.

Rob has a moment whenever Annie Last is seen in a bunch of riders, at the back of the race ... and then nearly faints when he sees Pidcock.

Next best thing to a Brit is a NZ rider ... so when he sees Anton Cooper his voice also peaks.

Now this is all good, but these racers are all fighting for airtime during a race or on media outside of a race to highlight both themselves and their sponsors ... so blaring wildly when you see your UK rider and over sell them compared to the others who are also in the race in a close proximity in the race is rather unfortunate.

Talk about NZ riders......Mr Gaze hasn't featured at all.  Zero air time being at the back of the race.

I only remember them mentioning N1NO, MvdP and Pidcock every 10 seconds

Cooper rode a great race though... and with the size of those quads, def wouldn't be too keen on taking him to a sprint finish  :eek:

So SASCOC has the final say for Alan's chances.

Think mens hockey, from a few Olympics back.

attachicon.gifXCO.PNG

so he is stuffed in other words

so he is stuffed in other words

Not necessarily. Depends how SASCOC thinks; they have been known to say medal chances only, plus all their tjommies.