Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

FYI

Have a traditional trainer and want to jump on Zwift? You'll just need a speed sensor attached to your rear wheel. Follow our guide on pairing your speed sensor here ????????and see you in Watopia! ????????‍♀️????????‍♂️

Sauce @Zwift

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our rain water tanks have been empty for just over 6 weeks ....

Please send some of that rain this way.

If I could I would. Seems like it is never going to end.

I've been making micro adjustments to my cleat position on the left foot as its been bugging me. 

Made another adjustment yesterday and was looking forward to testing it this morning.

My problem is the pain cave is setup under the lappa, but I lock the bike away in the garage overnight.

Both lappa and garage are at least 10m from the house and 10m from each other, by the time I get everything setup under the lappa I'll be drenched in this rain. So I'm waiting for a gap later to do a quick session

Was busy preparing a lamb curry in the slow cooker for dinner and noticed the rain had stopped for a bit.

Wife confirmed lunch was still 30 - 40 minutes away so decided to grab the opportunity and do a quick ride. 

25 minutes is better than nothing.

FYI

Have a traditional trainer and want to jump on Zwift? You'll just need a speed sensor attached to your rear wheel. Follow our guide on pairing your speed sensor here and see you in Watopia! ‍♀‍♂

Sauce @Zwift

but will it work with just a speed sensor ?

obviously you won't get the full experience.

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

but will it work with just a speed sensor ?

obviously you won't get the full experience.

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

So this worked. When I tried Rouvy it would not pick up the Cadence sensor, but Zwift did.

My Trainer is not listed on Zwift, but I chose a random Minoura trainer.

Even though it picked up my cadence sensor what it displayed on the app was about 10 RPM slower than what my garmin was telling me, speed on the app was probably about 5km/h faster than the garmin told me.

Estimated power was WAYY higher than I think it should be.

Then came the problem that I was going a fair bit quicker than everyone else and also not slowing down on the hills. Using the gears to adjust how easy or hard I was riding just made the speeds unrealistic.

Changing the resistance of the trainer means unclipping one foot, stretching it back and flipping the resistance lever with a tow. Not great.

So my conclusion after about 40 minutes is that without, at the minimum, a power meter, its boring.

So this worked. When I tried Rouvy it would not pick up the Cadence sensor, but Zwift did.

My Trainer is not listed on Zwift, but I chose a random Minoura trainer.

Even though it picked up my cadence sensor what it displayed on the app was about 10 RPM slower than what my garmin was telling me, speed on the app was probably about 5km/h faster than the garmin told me.

Estimated power was WAYY higher than I think it should be.

Then came the problem that I was going a fair bit quicker than everyone else and also not slowing down on the hills. Using the gears to adjust how easy or hard I was riding just made the speeds unrealistic.

Changing the resistance of the trainer means unclipping one foot, stretching it back and flipping the resistance lever with a tow. Not great.

So my conclusion after about 40 minutes is that without, at the minimum, a power meter, its boring.

Took a few rides but I got everything tuned up to a relatively realistic feeling. Having spent last winter doing 2 to 3 rides a week on a wattbike I had some idea of how I feel at certain wattages.

My garmin won't connect to my garmin sensors while they connected to zwift so cannot really compare the numbers, but when a hill comes along I very easily drop to sub 10kph and really need to put down the power to speed up on some hills.

Saw a cyclist yesterday upon travelling home from work (essential service worker) heading towards Riverfields MTB park in Glen Marais.

Hooted at him but he seemed oblivious to my cave man hand signals, best of all, Metro Cop drove straight past him and did not give a damn.

(Rode an old looking 26 inch dual sus bike)

Interesting read on the risks of contracting Covid while riding and running... way riskier than I would have guessed

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

Scary... the amount of people in CH out cycling, running and walking at any given time of the day is very high at the moment.

The work from home effect...

I set up a slack line in my garden today.

It was hard in varsity, and it is still hard.

By the end of play I could walk between the A frames with the strap running on top of them.

That was a few hours ago and I still have jelly legs.

c431984b34df21e2a834cf59ffb14a93.jpg

I set up a slack line in my garden today.

It was hard in varsity, and it is still hard.

By the end of play I could walk between the A frames with the strap running on top of them.

That was a few hours ago and I still have jelly legs.

c431984b34df21e2a834cf59ffb14a93.jpg

Have you got it tied to your gate post? Surely that's not strong enough. I would love to pull mine out... But I've got nothing to attach it to

Interesting read on the risks of contracting Covid while riding and running... way riskier than I would have guessed

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

When I read this I wondered if infected people will actually be able to run?  Fever / HR / Pace etc?  (Even when asymptomatic - how will running be impacted?) 

Pace will have a impact on the 'slipstream' drift.  

When I read this I wondered if infected people will actually be able to run?  Fever / HR / Pace etc?  (Even when asymptomatic - how will running be impacted?) 

Pace will have a impact on the 'slipstream' drift.  

Like a normal virus, you don't want to raise your HR and put your body under additional strain. 

Obv asymptomatic people won't know, so there may be a danger to them if they exercise and have it. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem