Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

well............technically you can't surf but the cops can't be bothered because its a Shed load of paper work that just isn't worth the effort when they have people being shot and stabbed. Basically liberty justice and freedom is starting to turn the tide against facism or common sense is taking hold again

Oh,fricking.yawn. Fascism? Liberty? Good god. Crucify the government for being ineffectual and then when when they act decisively they are fascist. Look at it another way, thank *** we have been asked to do some things to protect the greater cause for a few weeks and thank god we are not the US or the UK where latest reports said that a weeks delay in lock down has caused about. 20,000 deaths. But don’t let that change your view. Yea we’re all oppressed and under the thumb, big Gov is here to strip you of your liberty and it’s your right not to have not responsibility to anyone.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh,fricking.yawn. Fascism? Liberty? Good god. Crucify the government for being ineffectual and then when when they act decisively they are fascist. Look at it another way, thank *** we have been asked to do some things to protect the greater cause for a few weeks and thank god we are not the US or the UK where latest reports said that a weeks delay in lock down has caused about. 20,000 deaths. But don’t let that change your view. Yea we’re all oppressed and under the thumb, big Gov is here to strip you of your liberty and it’s your right not to have not responsibility to anyone.

:thumbup:

............Live your life cos you ain't getting one second of it back..............

True that.

So this thread still has not answered my dilemma of phoning the cops about the home owner smuggling in labour to complete his refurb in our complex.

What sours this, is I am in construction related industry as well, and would love nothing more than get back into completing some projects, but alas.

As for riding outdoors, I have not done so. I almost went this morning, but I just cant get out of bed.

But Cape town sounds like a hectic place to ride. Bicycle ownership sounds like it is through the roof. 

Maybe tomorrow, just to see what all the fuss is about.

what's your concern:

compliance with regulations,

or health of everyone involved.

if he doesn't give a damn about consequences, and if you really cared about the latter aspects above, why should you need a discussion before doing the right thing? ;)

probably not intended but funniest sentiment on the hub for 2020

...and definitely not directed at Dirt Tracker you but from what I have seen (and I have been allowed to travel a bit), the majority of people are unable to social distance, practice hygene or possibly even care.  Mostly because poverty doesn't allow for the luxury of space, running water or the ability to give a sh!t.  In these areas let's say I have passed by and seen a complete thumbsuck of 10 000 people.  Less than 1 percent had masks on before or after getting on the taxi/bus.  Point is I'm not seeing much being done for the greater cause apart from those of us who can afford to.  The masks you see in the shops are not being worn back in the townships I have witnessed

**please don't pick my stats apart, they are my guess from seeing several areas across a couple of provinces.  That said probably as accurate as any government statistic being bandied about

probably not intended but funniest sentiment on the hub for 2020

...and definitely not directed at Dirt Tracker you but from what I have seen (and I have been allowed to travel a bit), the majority of people are unable to social distance, practice hygene or possibly even care.  Mostly because poverty doesn't allow for the luxury of space, running water or the ability to give a ****.  In these areas let's say I have passed by and seen a complete thumbsuck of 10 000 people.  Less than 1 percent had masks on before or after getting on the taxi/bus.  Point is I'm not seeing much being done for the greater cause apart from those of us who can afford to.  The masks you see in the shops are not being worn back in the townships I have witnessed

**please don't pick my stats apart, they are my guess from seeing several areas across a couple of provinces.  That said probably as accurate as any government statistic being bandied about

When we get young engineers job showing with us, I like to take a detour to a site .... take a route via Kayamandi and the likes ..... One moment your are in a 1st world university town, 1km later your are in the midst of Africa with live chickens, seeing how it is slaughtered and put on the grill, and being sold to the locals .....

We certainly have two VERY different worlds in one country ....

BUT .... we are now also feeling the effects of this on various project sites .... constant positive tests, vacate the site, sanitize the site, evaluate those possible exposed ..... open the site, few days to the next positive test .....   I did a site inspection on Tuesday last week, Wednesday that site was closed .... 

At this rate there is absolutely no way of achieve critical project dead lines .....

• 3 weeks later...

I'll keep 'masking up' so the Karens and Kens stay calm but... 'warns against'

https://thenationonlineng.net/who-warns-against-use-of-masks-during-exercise/

Riding when the trails are busy I use my buff when close to others ... my hart rate stays elevated by about 20bpm for 3 to 4 hours after the ride. My "chest" feels uncomfortable for the same period.

This week I did two mid.day rides, with very few other riders on the trails ... thus had the buff down most of the time. My hart rate recovered quickly, and no uneasy feeling in my chest.

YES, I will continue to use the buff when riding close to others ... BUT, I certainly will try to ride at times with minimal other riders on the trails..... sticking to the IDT during busy periods

Riding when the trails are busy I use my buff when close to others ... my hart rate stays elevated by about 20bpm for 3 to 4 hours after the ride. My "chest" feels uncomfortable for the same period.

This week I did two mid.day rides, with very few other riders on the trails ... thus had the buff down most of the time. My hart rate recovered quickly, and no uneasy feeling in my chest.

YES, I will continue to use the buff when riding close to others ... BUT, I certainly will try to ride at times with minimal other riders on the trails..... sticking to the IDT during busy periods

You are using your noggin my friend, I'm sure however the Hub 'rona police will be here any minute to show the error of your ways [emoji12]

It's almost as if some preferred not knowing that there is a virus with no proven treatment for all (no magic pill to make it go away) and no vaccine. And would've preferred people just dying more than usual during flu season without knowing why.[emoji849]

The issue is that treatment is only needed for people that have not been looking after themselves or have co morbidities. For the rest 95%+ it sorts itself out. Some with a longer timeline than others and more serious symptoms. So scare mongering is still the issue. Look after the vulnerable and just get on with life.

At the rate things are hotting up in my immediate area:

-Three of my colleagues that used to sit (Pre-Lockdown) in the same office as me, about 2m away, are now in Self-Isolation with one already feeling "seriously ill" awaiting his test result from Monday. He most likely got it from his daughter who had a sick classmate.

-On out Street WhatsApp group, there is a family who all contracted the disease including a 14yo girl who is on a ventilator in critical condition.

I will definitely avoid people as much as possible. No trails(people at my local trailpark were seriously inconsiderate with the previous outing w.r.t. masks and distancing), only run/ride when roads are quiet. Mask+goggles+shield when going to the shops. Reducing my trips to the office from 3 times a week to maximum once a week from here onward.

These are not normal times in GP, what we could "get away with" until a month ago is most likely not worth the risk right now.

The issue is that treatment is only needed for people that have not been looking after themselves or have co morbidities. For the rest 95%+ it sorts itself out. Some with a longer timeline than others and more serious symptoms. So scare mongering is still the issue. Look after the vulnerable and just get on with life.

As long as you also note that there are a fair number of healthy, fit and youngish people with no co-morbidities that die from it. In a somewhat unpredictable way. We don't know why and we are still learning more about it every day.

As long as you also note that there are a fair number of healthy, fit and youngish people with no co-morbidities that die from it. In a somewhat unpredictable way. We don't know why and we are still learning more about it every day.

Yep and as with any new virus there are many unknowns and developments as time goes by.. people just seem to look past things because oh well not many get too sick and it's only the elderly or those with comorbidities ..the virsus is constantly throwing the healthcare professionals curve balls and as many have stated it will be a long time before it is fully understood. Edited by Gen