Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Wish I could post videos here - but a colleague'a wife manages some supermarkets so is driving around quite a bit in the Cape today - people playing soccer, out on the streets having some brewskies, hanging about...

8AM I was hanging up some washing and saw a laaitie riding his bike around the estate.

Lovely to know people are respecting the lockdown.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I could post videos here - but a colleague'a wife manages some supermarkets so is driving around quite a bit in the Cape today - people playing soccer, out on the streets having some brewskies, hanging about...

8AM I was hanging up some washing and saw a laaitie riding his bike around the estate.

It's not entirely surprising, our government has spent over a decade instilling a sense of lawlessness and civil disobedience in us. Add to that the utter destruction of our public education system.

There's photos and videos of people wondering around near strands this morning, hek we've had 70 arrest in our province alone.

We sitting with people who understand and don't care or just too stupid to understand.

Those of us actually staying indoors are going to suffer the most as if **** like this keep coming on we gonna be stuck till July.

I ran last night and will run again today.... :devil:

In my yard  :clap:  it was cramped it was *** but myself and the missus managed along with my girls. 

I schooled them though, my 8 year old was always "I'm the fastest and fittest in the family" so I schooled her hard hahahahaahah.

We signed up for the 21 day marathon thing 2kms over 21 days.

Stay safe peeps.

Those of us actually staying indoors are going to suffer the most as if **** like this keep coming on we gonna be stuck till July.

I hear your frustration, but I don't think that will be the full story. If we adhere to the rules and isolate then we would most likely be healthy and alive, whereas those outside have a much higher chance of catching this Virus... which I have heard could be quite nasty...

Edited by Swift&Aero

Personally I just don't see the #lockdown being respected for very long. 

Firstly a guy like Cele doesn't have the respect of the thinking population.

Secondly there are just too many points of contact that still exist  for the #lockdown to be very effective. The challenge as always remains policing the limitations on gatherings. Those should just have been banned.

Close places where people gather  enmasse (events, malls, sports facilities etc) that would have already limited peoples movements.

I doubt that there would be a sudden influx of runners and cyclists because unfit , unhealthy people aren't going to get fit overnight.

The people working in factories manufacturing our basic goods are massively at risk so I would hope that measures are in place to ensure their environment is sanitised regularly.

Lets see where this rabbit hole takes us. Just one death in SA last night due to CORVID19. A manager at SANLAM apparently

Personally I just don't see the #lockdown being respected for very long. 

There will always be idiots breaking the rules, but I suspect once people you know start getting sick & dying most people tend to re-evaluate their priorities. Unfortunately many will regret not taking this serious sooner.

I hear you frustration, but I don't think that will be the full story. If we adhere to the rules and isolate then we would most likely be healthy and alive, whereas those outside have a much higher chance of catching this Virus... which I have heard could be quite nasty...

I was thinking more long term as not everyone is able to work from home and should the lockdown be extended to 3 months which is already an option it's going to be harder and harder for smaller companies to afford to pay staff sitting at home.

More and more businesses could go bankrupt, it's already a possibility that edcon may not reopen, so sure from a health aspect we will probably be fine, but that's short term. How far is the business rescue fund going to go.

I am one of the lucky ones, all I need is a laptop, Internet, electricity and coffee and I can work. Financially, if anything this time would be a positive for me as I can't spend any of it, but I am pretty sure I am in the vast minority.

This was his response:

“I ride in the cradle of human kind in the rural area early morning complete before seven in the morning , I put no one at risk”

I agree with him on merit, he isn’t putting anybody at risk. But it is against the rules.

But he started at 6, rode for 2h11, how could he be done by seven, was he ridding through a time vortex, doing laps of a black hole?

This was his response:

“I ride in the cradle of human kind in the rural area early morning complete before seven in the morning , I put no one at risk”

I agree with him on merit, he isn’t putting anybody at risk. But it is against the rules.

And so says 15,000 PPA members.... till we all get to Chappies at 7am

hahahahaha reading so many comments about 'I MUST JOG' etc from all those packed tidily away in their homes with a bed, a couch, a fridge full of food and wifi....

One thing this has highlighted is how the privileged like to play the victim, assume their needs above others and will justify ways to bend the rules to suit their narrative.

You don't NEED to jog or cycle outside. Please. Just follow the guidelines and stop whining like spoiled brats.

My nanny is pregnant. She shares a converted garage with 5 other people. She is due in 8 days so it could happen any day during lockdown. I cannot fetch her and due to the virus she may be without transport to the hospital and without proper care at the hospital. I am not allowed to assist. I have asked. 

So many stories like this where survival is the goal, not whether you can stay fit enough to run comrades after all this.

Perspective is a crazy sobering thing. Watching the wealthy whine is getting tiresome.

(Says the privileged guy whining about people whining)....

I was telling my wife about your Cycle Tour Bmx exploits and now I read this. You're an amazingly good person, with a very good perspective on life

This was his response:

I honestly don't know which is more stupid, his response or actually loading the ride on Strava