Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Again, it's OUR social responsibility to do EVERYTHING we can to make this successful. It's not about what's convenient and what's not. If its vague and you have the means to contribute to a more successful lockdown, as far as I'm concerned it's your duty to do it.

Affording to run a car..... if you have a car and were planning on walking to the shops it's likely within 5km. 3 weeks of lockdown means at most 4 trips to the shops. 40km of car running costs in 3 weeks??? I don't buy that as a valid reason to walk to the shops.

Again, I think this is very simple. It's not about what you can/can't do/get away with, it's about what you should/shouldn't do.

I'm going to be walking to the shops. Checkers is 300m from my gate, so driving is a waste unless I'm doing a big shop. As a guy living alone, I just need to take a bag to the shop to get my provisions. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, it's OUR social responsibility to do EVERYTHING we can to make this successful. It's not about what's convenient and what's not. If its vague and you have the means to contribute to a more successful lockdown, as far as I'm concerned it's your duty to do it.

Affording to run a car..... if you have a car and were planning on walking to the shops it's likely within 5km. 3 weeks of lockdown means at most 4 trips to the shops. 40km of car running costs in 3 weeks??? I don't buy that as a valid reason to walk to the shops.

Again, I think this is very simple. It's not about what you can/can't do/get away with, it's about what you should/shouldn't do.

I think you misunderstood me. I accepted your point first time around.

My follow up comment wasn't about me or you. I was thinking about people who don't have cars or struggle to cover the costs (some people are without incomes during this time). There are lots of them in this country. Probably even the majority. I was just noting that the lockdown regulations don't give these people many guidelines on how to act. There's lots of stuff about motorized transport though and even a number of exceptions to cater for it.

For example, it could be a good idea to guide people (or even regulate) on which side of paths and roads to walk on when going in a direction, like cars. This could avoid unnecessary passing.

Problem is that not one person is in prison after the whole state capture saga. Many people (incorrectly) believe that politicians don't have to follow rules / laws they don't have to either. I think a lot of people will break the law as they think they are entitled too. Hopefully people start looking at the bigger pictures but looking at the Makro ques I have lost some faith

China, in all the years, a lot of South Africans, me included, ignored the laws we wanted to. This is not new

I'm going to be walking to the shops. Checkers is 300m from my gate, so driving is a waste unless I'm doing a big shop. As a guy living alone, I just need to take a bag to the shop to get my provisions.

Hey speaking of guy alone.. how does lockdown work with shared custody of children?

Hey speaking of guy alone.. how does lockdown work with shared custody of children?

TBC. 

The only way I can think of doing it is to go to the shop at the same time. 

BUT. I'm fine with him being at his mom's for this time. I saw him this morning for a last few hours, and he's set up there with my doggie (who is now showing his age more and more  :( ) and a "work space" on my ex's desk and under his bunk bed. I'll definitely miss him and be calling him, though. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

My follow up comment wasn't about me or you. I was thinking about people who don't have cars. There are lots of them in this country. Probably even the majority. I was just noting that the lockdown regulations don't give these people many guidelines on how to act.

For example, it could be a good idea to guide people (or even regulate) on which side of paths and roads to walk on when going in a direction, like cars. This could avoid unnecessary passing.

I think the local police will understand the local demographics.

The people walking in Hammanskraal and Mamelodi will probably be given more grace as they could very well be walking to the shops.

The Tannie walking in Waterkloof should be asked very clearly to which Grocery store she is walking to and they will easily check up on her as there shouldn't be too many people walking in that suburb anyway during the lockdown.

100%. If you live in a township, I suppose you're being encouraged to shop locally, so the walk is short but left to your own cogniscance. But if you live in the more affluent, or remote suburbs, and you don't have access to a car, it's all a bit vague. There won't be a taxi service to use...

My follow up comment wasn't about me or you. I was thinking about people who don't have cars. There are lots of them in this country. Probably even the majority. I was just noting that the lockdown regulations don't give these people many guidelines on how to act. There's lots of stuff about motored transport though and even a number of exceptions to cater for it.

As the pandemic numbers spiral at an alarming rate upwards... I think you will become thankful of having your car and getting in and out to the shops quickly and treat the inside of your car as a safe zone!!

Do you usually walk to the shops unless you are doing a big shop?

Almost thought you were going to ask a question about a different kind of hub where premium is free for the next few weeks.

hahahahahahaha

There must be a massive spike in their views!

Do you usually walk to the shops unless you are doing a big shop?

When I'm at home, yes. When I'm out and about I obv don't come home first and then walk to the shops. 

Also depends on which shop I want to go to, or if my closest one doesn't sell what I want. 

As the pandemic numbers spiral at an alarming rate upwards... I think you will become thankful of having your car and getting in and out to the shops quickly and treat the inside of your car as a safe zone!!

Don't forget to wipe down your steering wheel, door handles, gear stick, seatbelt, radio buttons