Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew. I aint no morning dude but was up 530am and on the road 630am. Had my rear lite flashing but didn't need the front not to lite the road anyway as was enough sunlite was quite surprised. At least one +ve from lockdown, I got riding early and enjoyed it - lotsa riders out and was a friendly vibe (in Jhb). Nothing like overtaking a roadie on the road, on a mtb with knobblies, haha.

Yip, the roadie is still the gold standard that all the mtb riders want to try and drop.

Must have been a mtb rider on his mates roadie. He he

Edited by Coolspin

Atlantic seaboard was just as busy as yesterday, maybe even more cyclists today. I'm more likely to catch pneumonia than corona with on these cold mornings.

Blouberg promenade (if I can call it that) was chockas, even worse than yesterday. Folks were now stampeding both sides of the road, on ocean side and on Doodle's side...I pulled my buff higher, and increased cadence.

somehow "liking" this post seems wrong ...

pity that a portion of the populus is intent on messing it up for the rest ...

dammit, the sea WILL be there next month .... the 5km radius ALSO extends INLAND .... absolutely no need to act like a real bunch of SHEEP that herd up naturally against the nearest fence ....

Atlantic seaboard was just as busy as yesterday, maybe even more cyclists today. I'm more likely to catch pneumonia than corona with on these cold mornings.

nice try ....  :whistling:   ^_^

THIS is my normal winter commute, 5:30 depart from home.  Did not get ONE cold\flu from the commute since 2017.  :thumbup:   :clap:

Layer up with TWO layers of "plastic" tops over your normal top.  It takes maybe 500m to build up core temp, and then you regulate your body temp by playing around with the zips on these two tops ....  And the buff helps to keep your ears from freezing off.

PS - the current 7 degrees is actually still very nice.  July \ August it gets properly crispy out there in the early morning.

PPS - Last year we did the Patatfees ride in Ashton ... was barely above zero when we enrolled.  FLIPPEN cold for the first section of the ride.  Yet nobody complained about the time nor the temperature ....  :thumbup:

guess we just dont like to be told when we may and when we may not do stuff ...  :devil:

Went to the shops this morning just past 10ish and saw an old toppie on his bike (full kit and cleats the lot) looking hellish embarrassed - if thats possible to judge when driving slow enough by to give him the eyeball. I hope he was just victim to an unfortunate puncture or the like (as was joked here earlier about missing the cutoff) and not just being dumb. shame.

I noticed far more groups this morning, mainly walking. Groups of friends (I assume), families with other families, groups of kids. 

Blouberg beachfront was chaos. A poor guy on a TT bike T-boned a car that had pulled out in front of him and then sped away. He could move, but didn't look in a good way as he was taken away in an ambulance. Hope he is OK. His bike frame had snapped in three places.

My wife almost got hit by a car barrelling through and over the centre of a traffic circle this morning.

A dude on a bike, going the same direction as me up a hill went straight through a red light (but I mean nonchalantly). If the car coming from the side for whom the light was green was on his phone or not paying attention - it was only 5 or 10 metres away, it would have been game over.

Same as people walking 5 abreast down a road.

We've kind of lost our sense of ... I don't know; Law? Normality? Reason? during this strange time.

Very misty, loads of cyclists without lights and cars driving very fast. Crazy.

G’z JHB is so rustig, more so than there for a change. Good luck there.

I really wanted to go for a walk of light jog or something this morning..but yesterday I bumped my ankle against the sliding door (no, I don't know exactly how it happened) and the damn thing is swollen and sore.. I swear I am my own worse nightmare...[emoji2957]

Coming back from my ride this morning, I decided to extend my ride with a few km/ minutes by riding through the burbs / between the houses. I encountered not one, but three groups of runners that took over the whole road, like a bunch of cyclist can only dream of. 

Ringing my bell to alert them of me approaching from behind, was not all that well received by quite a few of them. 

Coming back from my ride this morning, I decided to extend my ride with a few km/ minutes by riding through the burbs / between the houses. I encountered not one, but three groups of runners that took over the whole road, like a bunch of cyclist can only dream of. 

Ringing my bell to alert them of me approaching from behind, was not all that well received by quite a few of them. 

Did you also take part in the Spes Bona funride this morning?

Easy to clear the road completely...as you approach, make loud coughing noises, and spit once or twice... :ph34r:

The Strava flybyes for my ride this morning are epic: 318 flybyes for a 2 hour, 32km ride!   :lol:  :nuke:  

Great atmosphere, people have been super friendly. It's really nice seeing everyone out.

Mask usage in my area yesterday was around 5% (everyone). It was much better today, probably around 70% mask usage.

A big number of yesterday's athletes decided to remain AWB (Agter Warm Boude) this morning. Suits me.

Still, some of the roads looked like the Spar big walk, but as someone who likes to go on human safari I quite enjoyed seeing people again.

I've found that a rung bell and a loud "good morning" gets people to break rank easily, but I wasn't exactly racing through the crowds. Having my boy on the star seat and my wife jogging with might also have had a positive effect.

64840188f3939ce57eae1e95b96769e8.jpg

Afterwards I took Baloo for a run. He definitely became unfit as the 2.7k we did has him sleeping all day. There is so e green belts near my house that was more quiet than the popular one with the mtb track, was a jol running with Baloo on the long lead.

9e2dc7d5946bd66e54996d61f549688f.jpg

Very misty, loads of cyclists without lights and cars driving very fast. Crazy. 

People have been locked inside for the past month, so don't realised how dark it is @ 6:00 and that you need lights and that there are cars (and rules of the road etc).

Drivers seem to be used to quiet roads and not having to look out for anyone and have forgotten general rules of the road.

Bad combination !