Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only issue with the buff is that it causes a bit of steam in the nostrils.

This opens my sinuses and a serious increase in quality and quantity of snot rockets.

How do you prevent sucking the buff into your mouth when you're taking deep breaths? Especially when it is soaked from sweat.

How do you prevent sucking the buff into your mouth when you're taking deep breaths? Especially when it is soaked from sweat and snot.

If you don't have a panic attack from the self inflicted water boarding, think of it as altitude training   :ph34r:

Of course an N95 mask is what is maximally effective - the whole game is risk mitigation and to argue that not having fabric in front of your face when exhaling forcefully in a public space where others are inhaling forcefully is just plain old wrong headed sophistry and one of the primary reasons I hardly check in here anymore.

I also like breathing which is why you need to do as much with your breath as you can to ensure that you don't breathe on me.

My buff at the end of the ride is saturated around my mouth - that's not all sweat - significant proportion is the moisture from my breath - moisture that if I am infected would contain the virus that the 50% of you lot who are faster than I am would inhale if you overtook me. Instead it's sitting on my ZA flag buff currently in the washing machine.

It's not a pleasure to have worn the f#@kin thing. I love it as much as you do but ...

IF YOU FIND THE MASK ANNOYING WAIT UNTIL THEY INTUBATE YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE. 

The key part is the "if" nobody is saying its useless, we're saying it's not nearly as useful as government is making it out to be.

Think about runners and riders, most of us are wearing buffs, if that's even 5% preventative I would be impressed.

A guy in the shop now was wearing what I use as shop town to wipe down my chain after a wash, that blue and white thin cloth that comes on those big rolls. I'm not sure which is worse that or a buff.

I also have a very nice mulit layer, quite thick mask that I will never wear again as it makes breathing quite laborious, every breath literally pulls it onto ur mouth and nose like a mini vacuum seal.

Now while that would be among the better of the not really good choices, I kinda like being able to breathe.

As humans we are going to wear the thing that is the least irritating, which is why an N95 would be good, it's designed to be minimal impactful on the ability to breathe while providing the maximum possible protection.

So sure, it is better than nothing, but only kinda.

Edited by Mamil

Of course an N95 mask is what is maximally effective - the whole game is risk mitigation and to argue that not having fabric in front of your face when exhaling forcefully in a public space where others are inhaling forcefully is just plain old wrong headed sophistry and one of the primary reasons I hardly check in here anymore.

I also like breathing which is why you need to do as much with your breath as you can to ensure that you don't breathe on me.

My buff at the end of the ride is saturated around my mouth - that's not all sweat - significant proportion is the moisture from my breath - moisture that if I am infected would contain the virus that the 50% of you lot who are faster than I am would inhale if you overtook me. Instead it's sitting on my ZA flag buff currently in the washing machine.

It's not a pleasure to have worn the f#@kin thing. I love it as much as you do but ...

IF YOU FIND THE MASK ANNOYING WAIT UNTIL THEY INTUBATE YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE.

None of us have said stop or even don't wear them, we're saying stop believing it's actually effective. It's better than nothing sure, as you said risk mitigation, but that's all it is.

Its not going to protect you, it's not going to prevent you from getting sick. It's simply a minor reduction in the risk, the best thing to do is simply stay away from people as much as possible.

When you go out, do what you can to protect yourself, but stop deluding yourself and others into thinking a piece of cotton, weather or not you can breathe through it, can protect you from a viral pandemic.

None of us have said stop or even don't wear them, we're saying stop believing it's actually effective. It's better than nothing sure, as you said risk mitigation, but that's all it is.

Its not going to protect you, it's not going to prevent you from getting sick. It's simply a minor reduction in the risk, the best thing to do is simply stay away from people as much as possible.

When you go out, do what you can to protect yourself, but stop deluding yourself and others into thinking a piece of cotton, weather or not you can breathe through it, can protect you from a viral pandemic.

That is very true.

A mask is not a replacement for social distancing. That is worth remembering.

I wear my mask not for myself, but for everyone else. Especially considering that our neighbourhood has a significant amount of people above 60.

oh and as I get home I open strava and see that a "friend" went from Burgundy Estate (which seem to be a hotspot) to Noerdhoek this morning

Shew thats rich coming from you. Maybe you should make your strava private (:

My reading of various sources tells me the mask offers negligible protection to the user.

I wear a perspex shield when in public, except the one day a week when I must consult people face to face where I rely on good ventilation, handwashing, social distancing and alcohol solution spray down of furniture and doorknobs and fixtures between appointments.

This is as much mitigation as I know how to do.

Oh - and telling people to put their f$#king masks on - not because I care about them - it's me I'm worried about.

My m.o. when running is, as I can see the road behind the cyclists, to move (in good time, clearly communicating intention) to the middle of the lane if road is clear, to enable the cyclists to keep his line. If it is not clear I will jump on the pavement. In any case I will actually shout eg 'car coming' if I see a possible situation can develop.

(This however does not work so well when a peleton appear, or when encountering 'casual' riders. Works well when encountering single and fast (perhaps the more 'serious') guys.)

Long story short, for me it is about 'situational awareness', and to act accordingly.

You are the 1:1000000000000. Yesterday I encountered a chop running in the road, straight at me, with cars passing me to my right. This idiot shrugs at me when I did not give way. All he needed to do was to step onto the pedestrian walkway which he chose to ignore 3 steps to his right. It took a mighty effort to not stop...

Shew thats rich coming from you. Maybe you should make your strava private (:

This was yesterday, today is another day  :blush:  :blush: 

Fact is in two hours we encountered about 10 people and in 10 mins back in my neighbourhood hundreds... we actually then called it a day because it was too busy, even though we only had 200m to do to finish the 1000m elevation we wanted to do...

Anyways, yes we were two, yes we probably doubled our radius for the first time since the begining. Not proud we broke the rules but it was ******* nice to be able to ride without constantly checking people's faces see if they had a mask or not, trying to avoid them with max distance available, or trying to anticipate dogs reactions every 2 mins to avoid a crash. Worth it, and since nobody seem to care about the rules, I allowed myself one little getaway !

I'm in a very populated area with half my radius being the ocean. Anyways, no good reasons to break the rules, it's stupid but it was ******* good (like lots of other illegal things  ;)).

I'm not gonna do it again every day but glad I did it today! I wasn't gonna post about it coz I know it's wrong but since you called me out ! Good job detective ;) 

Edited by Jbr

Wait! So you have spent the last several weeks throwing a daily tantrum about other people breaking the rules and you are guilty yourself????

Credibility... Poof!

Wait! So you have spent the last several weeks throwing a daily tantrum about other people breaking the rules and you are guilty yourself????

Credibility... Poof!

hahaha only today, the previous days I was the perfect citizen ! Today I broke bad decided since noone gives a **** then why bother

Edited by Jbr

I’ve built mine and got over it - the issue of people breaking the rules. Guilty, as charged - it’s over, time to move on and look forward to getting those 21 hours Government took away, from us, back.

eaab736f1ba5e35928b01cf6abe63766.jpg

Have you got a reference for this? I read recently that this theory had been superceded as a measurement issue...

r

I did some intervals today

At least 1x weekly in off-season

Always a useful graph especially in times of health risks and well-being

Sauce: ResearchGate

20125-inline-graphs-2.jpg