Are bicycle shops open?

Shaik

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ou maat, ek is seker jy bewe soos n laaitie op kersaand vir daai nuwe RC... ;) 

Have a bike on order from them as well.  They informed me that the they will be able to ship from level 3 and collections can take place from level 2.  Hopefully we'll get to level 3 soon...

So what's covered by these certificates? Repairing bikes used in performing an allowed service or commuting to an allowed service?

Perhaps winter clothing too? It's bitey out there in first half of the morning slot.

Singletrack seem to have acquired the necessary paperwork, as per their fb post.

c24f57d1c5e51eac0f7be77d2db6627b.jpg

I would tread with serious caution here.

The certificate only states that the shop has SUBMITTED information to CIPC.

The onus is still on the trader to trade within the constraints of the lockdown levels and if caught out the punishment is severe.....

they seem to be treading a fine line yes.

The onus is still on the trader to trade within the constraints of the lockdown levels and if caught out the punishment is severe.....

they seem to be treading a fine line yes.

Very fine.  It is one thing certificating your shop - it will be something else proving that your services are "emergency" or "hardware" and that your customers are allowed to be there.  Some cycle service suppliers, as well as automotive repairs, are being offered at your house.  I don't read this as being allowed at Level 4.

Various players in the industry have presented the minister with legal arguments and we should get a better picture soon.  Until then I will remain closed.

This is the official certificate that is issued, it is the followup on the original certificate that was issued for the 1st lockdown. This is the last legitimate certificate.

The only contention could be if they were registered under Business Category X but are trading as Y.

Here's hoping that CWC can get some form of licence to start processing there online orders.

Have a **** load on back order.

Hope they'll still be around by the time level 3 kicks in

I had to buy a battery at a motor spares shop and had to fill in a form and the understanding was I broke down in the parking lot - the spares guy kindly fitted it for me...I can't see buying brake pads for my mtb as being an emergency as I am not a bike messenger...

For me this still seems to be handled from the wrong angle.

We should be hammering the point that cycle commuting is the best way for people to get to work without spreading disease. It's a huge opportunity to get the masses on to bikes.

The trickle up effect to the fancy race sector of the community will be there too

Hope they'll still be around by the time level 3 kicks in

^This exactly, my wife was trying to get me to order new curtains for most of the house because a local decor place has a "lockdown special" where you pay now and then they will come and fit after lockdown.

Im not going to do that because (1) I am concerned about future financial situations and (2) if they go insolvent before this all ends I end up losing quite a lot of money.

I know these companies are trying to get some cash flow to survive, the reality though is that some wont make it and the people that are waiting for goods after the lockdown will lose their money.

We just got notified that our LBS, will be open from tomorrow 3 May, for "winter clothes" and protective wear.

Ask them if you can buy something new that's definitely not essential and that they should be able to see you don't need. And wait for their answer

Should be interesting either way

Ask them if you can buy something new that's definitely not essential and that they should be able to see you don't need. And wait for their answer

Should be interesting either way

We emptied the shop before lockdown of everything valuable, scared of possible break ins etc.

Will only take the workshop equipment and spares back Monday.

We just got notified that our LBS, will be open from tomorrow 3 May, for "winter clothes" and protective wear.

Can I get the name of the shop please.

Any idea where I can get winter gear in Cape Town?

Edited by Reecethelurker