Masks when riding

I made some masks yesterday out of old technical shirts and some other tech fabric for the liners. 3 layers with a sleeve for an internal filter if necessary.

I included some wire framework to keep it away from my mouth so it doesn't feel like I'm being waterboarded.

It is super easy and anyone who can sew/has a wife/partner/housemate who can sew should look into it.

With some basic mods it is secure, easy on and off, comfy and effective.

Even if you don't agree with the rules, can't see the rationale, are still unhappy with life, you can make the most out of what you/we have within those rules.

Some of you on here are distasteful and pretty much all that is wrong with our country. If you can, wear one. If others don't, wear one.

It's absolute hogwash saying 'if everybody isn't adhering to the rules they are pointless'.. Imagine if every single driver on the road was drunk? If only 20% of the population wore masks and they all lived in your neighbourhood, wouldn't that make you feel better?

If so, then don't worry about what is happening 30km away from you in an informal settlement. These measures are for YOUR well being and those immediately around you.

Anyway, I'm done. I haven't hung around these forums for a few days as the tinfoil hat brigade and the 'my rights' social warriors have just ruined all forms of internet for me.

Peace guys and gals, stay safe, stay healthy and for those of you who can, you stay classy and thanks for stopping by!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did yours take to get delivered from when you ordered? I ordered a bit over a week ago and haven't received anything yet...

Around a week I guess.

Correct me if Im wrong, but this is for N95 masks not cloth masks. The latter offers almost no protection against virus transmission.

I've seen this graphic a few times posted as some sort of factual basis... meanwhile it was just thrown together by a graphic designer based on who knows what, to be sold on stock graphic website

https://www.dreamstime.com/face-mask-protection-efficiency-infographic-vector-illustration-image175813532

I made some masks yesterday out of old technical shirts and some other tech fabric for the liners. 3 layers with a sleeve for an internal filter if necessary.

I included some wire framework to keep it away from my mouth so it doesn't feel like I'm being waterboarded.

It is super easy and anyone who can sew/has a wife/partner/housemate who can sew should look into it.

With some basic mods it is secure, easy on and off, comfy and effective.

Even if you don't agree with the rules, can't see the rationale, are still unhappy with life, you can make the most out of what you/we have within those rules.

Some of you on here are distasteful and pretty much all that is wrong with our country. If you can, wear one. If others don't, wear one.

It's absolute hogwash saying 'if everybody isn't adhering to the rules they are pointless'.. Imagine if every single driver on the road was drunk? If only 20% of the population wore masks and they all lived in your neighbourhood, wouldn't that make you feel better?

If so, then don't worry about what is happening 30km away from you in an informal settlement. These measures are for YOUR well being and those immediately around you.

Anyway, I'm done. I haven't hung around these forums for a few days as the tinfoil hat brigade and the 'my rights' social warriors have just ruined all forms of internet for me.

Peace guys and gals, stay safe, stay healthy and for those of you who can, you stay classy and thanks for stopping by!

Listen boet... I will find where you live and come point my finger at you very hard if you don't at the very bloody least post a pic of your DIY face mask  :thumbup:

Correct me if Im wrong, but this is for N95 masks not cloth masks. The latter offers almost no protection against virus transmission.

Just checking before I answer you: did you read the heading of the infographic?

Listen boet... I will find where you live and come point my finger at you very hard if you don't at the very bloody least post a pic of your DIY face mask  :thumbup:

I'm going to make a few more tomorrow... I will post then!

Listen boet... I will find where you live and come point my finger at you very hard if you don't at the very bloody least post a pic of your DIY face mask :thumbup:

Small fishing village, population less than 500. Just look for the heat maps...

Depends what is used as a filter I suppose. I can say lots of people are using spunbond, but I reckon that the 100gm will be better suited than anything with less gms. Basically similar to medical masks, being one of the fabrics that is used.

Then you get stitchbond which is a filter material and most likely the better option of the 2.

I also read online that the vacuum/hoover machine bags that are hepa rated are the ideal filter for N95 and fabric masks.

However most if not all of these materials is in extremely short supply.

My mrs made some masks and ordered filters online so we can just add filters, she used a few of my old race shirts which have nice breathable material. I personally tie them to a cap or helmet, it just holds the mask in place more securely.

So far I have not been finding it much different to a normal run. I will see when the first hill sprint session happens. Yesterday I had a long run with surges towards the end and even at 3:45/km it was bearable.

When you feel better, consider a few basic realities ...

- kids carry germs !!  Everybody knows how flu season it is the kids that bring the flu home "from school" .... and as soon as your family is over it, the next kid brings it again ....

- at some point or anotherr one of the parents in your street will be exposed to Covid ... their family has a very good chance of being infected before they are diagnosed .... by which time those "10 kids in the street" has spread it to their homes and parents ....

- so YES, these "stupid rules" are here to protect society against "----" parents that are not sheeples and dont have a cooking clue about basic safety !!!

- masks .... I will wear my mask outside.  Cloth in low risk, and N95 in higher risk areas.  NOT because of "some rule", but because medical experts that I TRUST advised me to start using N95 masks in FEBRUARY already.

And YES, I am having a bad day with "google experts" stuffing it up for the rest of us that actually want to get on with our lives !!!   Let's face it, right now you have TWO options :

1) take care of your health, based on real medical evidence, over and above any rules from the government

2) show your disaproval in public by "not wearing a mask", and messing it up for the rest that want to make the best of the allocated three hours ....

3) and if you truly need to prove you are not a "sheeple", just go ahead and put yourself and your street in danger ....  sadly THIS is the reality in most complexes, informal areas, etc etc ...) Just pray this does not lead to a spike that leads to an extended LEvel 4, or even areas\provinces going back to Level 5

for the slow readers - I am NOT a sheeple that started wearing a mask on 1 May.  I started wearing a mask in MARCH, as well as gloves.  And if it was not for the reading glasses I would have worn eye protection as well.  I do this because I have underlying medical conditions and at high risk, AND because my work takes me to risk areas ...

PLEASE be SAFE out there.  There are some BASIC principles at play, to stop the spread of this thing.  Proving your dislike of the powers of the day is miss-placed at this time ....

ChrisF , a little perspective from up country .

Baragwanath hospital  , as of this past Saturday was treating 2 Covid19 cases .... The biggest hospital in SA ..... Killing mosquito's with cannon's ......

Baragwanath hospital  , as of this past Saturday was treating 2 Covid19 cases .... The biggest hospital in SA ..... Killing mosquito's with cannon's ......

So do you think that it is going to bypass SA?

Why do you think that is? Would it have to do with the early action and stringent application of precautionary measures vs the slow action of other countries, or are we just lucky? Maybe just behind the timeline everyone is expecting?

I'm of the opinion that all those saying 'end this lockdown, look at the numbers' bla bla would be the same people crying into their grande ventii orangemochafrapuccino if the government relaxed everything and tens of thousands of people were dying every week with outraged cries of 'you have failed us, look at the dead!' 

There is no pleasing some people and they will cherry pick the 'stats' or situation without looking at the 'why'.

Those using the 'numbers' to prove all sorts of government conspiracies..... sure. Using government provided numbers to condemn them for falsifying things.... the irony.

Just wear a mask, follow the rules and make the most of what you can.

Further to this...minister of health on TV stated in SA (presumably currently) 30 people in ICU with 15 on ventilators.

Baragwanath hospital , as of this past Saturday was treating 2 Covid19 cases .... The biggest hospital in SA ..... Killing mosquito's with cannon's ......