Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

I wonder of all those who posted on this thread what % do wear masks and what % do not wear masks.(While cycling)

Apparently according to FB no cyclists wear masks so that means that very few of you are out riding.

On my Monday afternoon ride the trails were busy, more so than some Saturdays ....

I saw THREE people with masks on ... or at least pulling it up when they came close to other riders. Then there was one family, mom, dad, two kids that were all wearing their masks. So including myself, only 8 people were wearing masks or at least pulling it up when approaching other riders. Many had no mask or buff at all

So as for Monday afternoon 90% of Tygerberg MTB club riders were ignoring the most basic conditions for access to the trails, as per the clubs official communication.

We are guests on these private properties. Least we can do is to respect the requests from the Club and the land owners.

EDIT - the official communcation from the Club on 28 May 2020 :

post-110956-0-99070800-1591770912_thumb.jpg

Ek sak my kop in skaamte vir die gedrag.

GrannyGear ... your brand is done no favours when your riders behave in this manner.

I see this type of behaviour and I see Tygerberg has the highest Covid positive numbers in the Western Cape .... mooi man, mooi .... :(

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Masks aren't so much to protect yourself but to protect others from you unwittingly spreading the virus. Not wearing one in proximity to others basically says I don't care about you or anyone you might come into contact with.

The current rules that you cover your face at all times in public might be over the top - it certainly seems so pedaling along hundreds of metres from the next person, but to pull your buff or mask up when near to others is not unreasonable.

Similar to the cycling in groups.  It is against the temporary laws, which may be a bit strict. Joining with people from maybe one other household, maintaining distance and face covering seems OK to me.  Large groups from multiple homes, which we have all seen many of, with no distancing and masks is just brainless.  Also arrogant, entitled, and selfish, which is not a great combination but seems quite common and is one of the reasons this country has been down rabbit holes in the past.

I hear your sentiment, but I am not caring too much about protecting other people from myself if they don't care to wear masks. That's why I wear a mask. To protect myself from gits and morons who think this virus is not as bad as it's being portrayed.

I know someone personally who lost a parent due to this virus. Take it serious, or don't. I am not to fussed either way about other people anymore.

I am with ChrisF on this one. We live in the part of the country with the highest infection rate, and as of yesterday SA was at the 22nd worst place on the global ranking of 218 countries / territories. Think about that for a second, then decide to be blasé about wearing a mask again.

The new temporary field hospital at CTICC is already treating Covid patients. The explosion has begun.

Maar ja mense, jy het nie 'n masker nodig nie, dis sommer 'n stront storie, die virus...

The new temporary field hospital at CTICC is already treating Covid patients. The explosion has begun.

Picked up something scary in the newspapers yesterday.

The "Hospital of Hope" (CTICC field hospital) is only for OVERFLOW patients !!  These are patients in the recovery phase, that are moved from full hospitals.  The fact that patients are already filtering in here is NOT a good sign for what is happening in the main hospitals ....

At a doubling rate of about every 8 days (and steadily getting faster) it is anybodies guess if our hospitals are going to be flooded by the end of June.

Consider a situation where your super dooper  top of the range medical aid cant buy you a bed in private hospital .... a day when the Hospital of Hope becomes a primary treatment facility.

NO,  I am not some "fear monger".  But I do have reason to believe that our health facilities are about to be tested to the max ! 

Now for those that are open minded and still reading .... This is even more reason to exercise !!  Healthy mind and healthy body !!  But let's consider those around us while we are out there.  :thumbup:

This is not about blindly following rules ... there are times when "less" is okay, just like there are times when I have to wear a proper N95 mask on some sites ....  but wearing a buff near others certainly is a no-brainer  :thumbup:  :thumbup:   Stay safe out there guys and gals, would love to see ALL of you out on the trails at the end of this  .....

PS - if the rest of the world's curves are any indication, our next 4 weeks are going to be "hectic" in the Western Cape, followed by four weeks of steady decline .... let's HOPE we follow this pattern, and that this thing dont drag on for the full winter.

Edited by ChrisF

Picked up something scary in the newspapers yesterday.

The "Hospital of Hope" (CTICC field hospital) is only for OVERFLOW patients !!  These are patients in the recovery phase, that are moved from full hospitals.  The fact that patients are already filtering in here is NOT a good sign for what is happening in the main hospitals ....

At a doubling rate of about every 8 days (and steadily getting faster) it is anybodies guess if our hospitals are going to be flooded by the end of June.

Consider a situation where your super dooper  top of the range medical aid cant buy you a bed in private hospital .... a day when the Hospital of Hope becomes a primary treatment facility.

NO,  I am not some "fear monger".  But I do have reason to believe that our health facilities are about to be tested to the max ! 

Now for those that are open minded and still reading .... This is even more reason to exercise !!  Healthy mind and healthy body !!  But let's consider those around us while we are out there.  :thumbup:

This is not about blindly following rules ... there are times when "less" is okay, just like there are times when I have to wear a proper N95 mask on some sites ....  but wearing a buff near others certainly is a no-brainer  :thumbup:  :thumbup:   Stay safe out there guys and gals, would love to see ALL of you out on the trails at the end of this  .....

PS - if the rest of the world's curves are any indication, our next 4 weeks are going to be "hectic" in the Western Cape, followed by four weeks of steady decline .... let's HOPE we follow this pattern, and that this thing dont drag on for the full winter.

You are aware of the fact that this is why the lockdown was initially done? It was to allow for preparation, nothing more. 

But also note:

Media Release: Update on the coronavirus by Premier Alan Winde 9 June 2020

As of 1pm on 9 June, the Western Cape has 12 250 active cases of COVID-19, with a total of 33 892 confirmed cases and 20791 recoveries. 

Hospital admissions 1156 of which 220 are in ICU or high care.

This will continue to grow, unfortunately the vat % will not be from the people bitching and moaning here as they are doing the social distancing and wearing face masks (mostly) When out cycling or running or whatever probably not so much, but in reality we/they are still 100% better of than 90% of the populace. Why do you think the hotspots are where they are?

Crawling back into my hole now, it is difficult to reason with some people. Especially as I am an idiot according to some.

You are aware of the fact that this is why the lockdown was initially done? It was to allow for preparation, nothing more. 

But also note:

Media Release: Update on the coronavirus by Premier Alan Winde 9 June 2020

As of 1pm on 9 June, the Western Cape has 12 250 active cases of COVID-19, with a total of 33 892 confirmed cases and 20791 recoveries. 

Hospital admissions 1156 of which 220 are in ICU or high care.

This will continue to grow, unfortunately the vat % will not be from the people bitching and moaning here as they are doing the social distancing and wearing face masks (mostly) When out cycling or running or whatever probably not so much, but in reality we/they are still 100% better of than 90% of the populace. Why do you think the hotspots are where they are?

Crawling back into my hole now, it is difficult to reason with some people. Especially as I am an idiot according to some.

Yes.  And without the lockdown our hospitals would have been totally overwelmed by now ... a typical Italy scenario.

YES, we are all very happy for the 50+% recovery rate.  With friends, a family of four, all testing positive last week we are VERY happy for their steady recovery.  For sake of interest, one was and still is totally asymptomatic and may well have spread it to his office .... Only one of the four were severely symptomatic, resulting in a short ICU stint.  So also VERY happy that there were hospital beds and equipment available to assist our friend in his time of need.

EDIT ... re-reading my post the "50+%" looks so wrong .... the final recovery rate is the closer to 98%

Sadly I am very aware of that portion of the population that dont comply, and the hotspots certainly DO represent this ....  The bit that some seem to be missing, THEE highest hotspot, despite relatively low population rate, is in TYGERBERG ....

Now if I consider the behaviour I saw in Brackenfell, Stellenberg and Durbanville, i.e. different families congregating in parks with no masks, kids from different families playing together, etc, it sadly makes sense why "we" (as I also live in this area) are THEE hotspot.  So let's look at our OWN behaviour before we look at behaviour in any informal area ....

All that said .... I do believe that the discrepancies between test rates between "Tygerberg" and "South" may well suggest that the current stats are "skewed" .... though this would hardly be any excuse for the risky behaviour in Tygerberg.

PS - Not that difficult to pull up a buff when you approach others, be-it runners, walkers, cyclists .... let's all consider our fellow citizens.

PPS - Even, rather especially, immune compromized people MUST exercise to boost their immunity.  So let's please be considerate out on the trails, really not that much of a mission to pull up your buff when close to other riders.  YES, I can control my distance behind others, but when the trail crosses it is appreciated when others buff-up  :thumbup:   As the boss-man said a few pages back: "... be lekker".

Edited by ChrisF

I like to think of it similar to the powerbalance bracelet craze.

During the time of powerbalance you could spot an idiot wearing a bracelet from a distance and avoid them and not even need to converse to understand their IQ.

Now the presence of a mask, type of mask and manner in which the mask is worn to give similar insights.

Now we are even luckier to have social distancing to blame when avoiding people as well.

You are going to get fried - quick - put on a mask !!!

As I understand there were a quite a few people on the mountain outside of the 6AM-6PM period in which Corona sleeps. It was probably a number of issues that led to the closure, not just masks.

Is hiking at all sanparks venues now closed?

During the time of powerbalance you could spot an idiot wearing a bracelet from a distance and avoid them and not even need to converse to understand their IQ.

Now the presence of a mask, type of mask and manner in which the mask is worn to give similar insights.

Now we are even luckier to have social distancing to blame when avoiding people as well.

Type of mask?

Yes.  And without the lockdown our hospitals would have been totally overwelmed by now ... a typical Italy scenario.

YES, we are all very happy for the 50+% recovery rate.  With friends, a family of four, all testing positive last week we are VERY happy for their steady recovery.  For sake of interest, one was and still is totally asymptomatic and may well have spread it to his office .... Only one of the four were severely symptomatic, resulting in a short ICU stint.  So also VERY happy that there were hospital beds and equipment available to assist our friend in his time of need.

EDIT ... re-reading my post the "50+%" looks so wrong .... the final recovery rate is the closer to 98%

Sadly I am very aware of that portion of the population that dont comply, and the hotspots certainly DO represent this ....  The bit that some seem to be missing, THEE highest hotspot, despite relatively low population rate, is in TYGERBERG ....

Now if I consider the behaviour I saw in Brackenfell, Stellenberg and Durbanville, i.e. different families congregating in parks with no masks, kids from different families playing together, etc, it sadly makes sense why "we" (as I also live in this area) are THEE hotspot.  So let's look at our OWN behaviour before we look at behaviour in any informal area ....

All that said .... I do believe that the discrepancies between test rates between "Tygerberg" and "South" may well suggest that the current stats are "skewed" .... though this would hardly be any excuse for the risky behaviour in Tygerberg.

PS - Not that difficult to pull up a buff when you approach others, be-it runners, walkers, cyclists .... let's all consider our fellow citizens.

PPS - Even, rather especially, immune compromized people MUST exercise to boost their immunity.  So let's please be considerate out on the trails, really not that much of a mission to pull up your buff when close to other riders.  YES, I can control my distance behind others, but when the trail crosses it is appreciated when others buff-up  :thumbup:   As the boss-man said a few pages back: "... be lekker".

Careful with the assumptions. Would we really be in a worse state had we not had lockdown? Maybe, maybe not....

Our high numbers are a function of the poorer communities not being able to adhere to the hygiene recommendations and due to middleclass people riding their bikes. It lays bare the  disaprities in our society.

On the surface it appears Lock down delayed the spread, especially the first 3 weeks. We won't truly know for a while yet if this was effective after that as Italy is backtracking on its official Covid-19 death toll. There are a number of factors at play.  The death toll of the people dying with SARS-COV2 in their system is high. 

The number dying FROM SARS-COV2 is not completely understood yet. Yes death rate is higher than normal and that's reason enough for concern BUT is that addition death directly attributable to SARS-COV2 or the comorbidity aspects?

Docs are seeing people coming in with SARS-COV2 but previously undiagnosed other issues that leads to death. Cause of death listed as COVID....

There was some sensation around two child deaths from COVID19. Turns out one died in a car accident and the other was premature and was already touch and go. The SARS-COV2 pushed the new born over the edge but it was highly likely the child would not have made it at 2 months premature... 

There's more of those stories around the world.

Lockdown has caused people to not go into hospital for their treatments of other underlying diseases that has lead to death. This is happening here too.

Lockdown will get its judgement day, its not today or tomorrow but it will be unpacked and then we'll know if it was right or wrong.

WHO is also not certain that asymptomatic transmission is happening as easily as they initially thought. It seems to be very rare. Still advocating asymptomatic people to wear a mask of course. Also suggesting that casual cntact in passing is a  very very low risk of transmission.

What we're seeing in industry is that cases popping up on site are not being transmitted internally on site (where PPE is a requirement - N95 mask)  but rather in the community when workers are travelling or at home (When in long term contact with many other people and wearing cloth masks). Hospitals are seeing the same, health workers are getting infected on public transport in the lunch rooms where air circulation is poor and viral load can build up. 

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/from-hair-salons-to-gyms-experts-rank-36-activities-by-coronavirus-risk-level.html

you really can flog a dead horse

We are almost there!! My Aunt was supposed to have some surgery tomorrow. They called her today to tell here that they will let her know when she can come as the hospital is full of covid patients. This is a private hospital as well.

We are almost there!! My Aunt was supposed to have some surgery tomorrow. They called her today to tell here that they will let her know when she can come as the hospital is full of covid patients. This is a private hospital as well.

Best wishes for your aunt.

Hope she gets sorted quickly.