Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

Wow this thread got boiling over the weekend? I'm not even going to look back at it.

I'm handling this differently, online and in real life.

No one is an expert here, not even the epidemiologists know what's going on yet. There's about 30 people in the world with deep knowledge in coranviruses and they are early on the learning curve on SARS-covid19.

Your opinions are your opinions, just find a balance between saying what you think should be done, calling out people who act in a way that affects you directly, judging people for what they're doing if it affects you indirectly and not inflaming scenarios that are already tense.

in summary, this still applies, infact more than ever

don't be a ****, be lekker

There is no mask available that will make me comfortable to ride in that amount of people with said mask.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no mask available that will make me comfortable to ride in that amount of people with said mask.

don't stress, just do as the song says....

the original social distancing song

I had a ride at Hoogekraal on Saturday. Just me. All alone. One bloke sitting on the bench at the top waiting for his buds who were riding the cobra. I got passed by one guy as I made my way back to the top of the cobra. Those were the 2 times I had to have myself masked up. for the rest, it was me, some flies, a few crows and the peace and quiet of a lekker trail.

On Sunday, I rode the Melkbos to Paarden Island cycle path with plenty of people sharing the space. 

It is certain that it is much safer on the trails than elsewhere. That pic of Chapmans is the most people I have ever seen congregated there, even on December or during Argus time.

That scene is actually not a typical Sunday on Chappies. Its usually busier, so busy that I often don't stop at the top because there's no space and how pics from that location does one social group need?? "hey look at me, I'm on Chaappppppies...Clic!"

The Village Roast in Noordhoek Village is another congregation hotspot as everyone gathers for the message and partake in the coffee communion. WTF is up with that ? It's like little Holland there on weekday mornings and like an Amsterdam ganja market on the weekends mornings. Please don't tell NDZ or she'll stop the zollin'...

At least they all have their masks on their chins.

That scene is actually not a typical Sunday on Chappies. Its usually busier, so busy that I often don't stop at the top because there's no space and how pics from that location does one social group need?? "hey look at me, I'm on Chaappppppies...Clic!"

The Village Roast in Noordhoek Village is another congregation hotspot as everyone gathers for the message and partake in the coffee communion. WTF is up with that ? It's like little Holland there on weekday mornings and like an Amsterdam ganja market on the weekends mornings. Please don't tell NDZ or she'll stop the zollin'...

Lol...I was in Cape Town two weeks before lockdown and was having lunch with my daughter at the Toad when this cycling army pulls in right next to us.The oke closest to us then took his shoes off.I have a picture somewhere of stink feet.We needed masks.

hahahaha I must admit to being pretty unemotional when I go over chappies. I mean, it's great, but I find stopping on any ride annoying unless it's to buy food.

I like food. A lot....

Meanwhile in Cape Town

Which means we have a couple of days up north before the wind and cold gets here...

Game on.

Humans are arseholes.  Humans are also hypocrites. And humans will bend rules to suit whatever the agenda is. Unfortunately if the rules are not being enforced by the people running the country, then people will do and justify what ever they want. 

I live in the UAE. The rules are pretty clear here and if you break them you can also see the hefty fines you will pay. Wearing a mask here was mandatory up until a week back when they relaxed the rules for exercise only. I would say 90% of people followed those rules and wore masks despite the temperature being around 45 degrees as it stands. And that’s because here everyone is afraid to risk a hefty fine.

South Africa is currently in winter as it stands. I can’t understand why it’s that difficult to wear one. Even if you don’t wear it all the time, at least keep it on and pull it up when you pass cyclist’s. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. Unfortunately if the government don’t enforce this properly then they probably don’t care as well. People will do whatever they want if they know they’re gonna get away with it. 

pity I missed the start of this thread  :lol: im not going to read through all 600 comments. I wear a buff, for the first 10 mins while its cold and then the last 5 through town again.

Humans are arseholes.  Humans are also hypocrites. And humans will bend rules to suit whatever the agenda is. Unfortunately if the rules are not being enforced by the people running the country, then people will do and justify what ever they want. 

I live in the UAE. The rules are pretty clear here and if you break them you can also see the hefty fines you will pay. Wearing a mask here was mandatory up until a week back when they relaxed the rules for exercise only. I would say 90% of people followed those rules and wore masks despite the temperature being around 45 degrees as it stands. And that’s because here everyone is afraid to risk a hefty fine.

South Africa is currently in winter as it stands. I can’t understand why it’s that difficult to wear one. Even if you don’t wear it all the time, at least keep it on and pull it up when you pass cyclist’s. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. Unfortunately if the government don’t enforce this properly then they probably don’t care as well. People will do whatever they want if they know they’re gonna get away with it. 

Plenty people wear buffs in winter, they just don't want to be told to wear one.

I avoid Leeukop on most days. But I'm pretty sure the Hiking Karens Association must be fuming 52f8a11d548ddaf5dd2bba45a53ae0d5.jpg

Nope.

Encountered precisely zero people this morning.

Was also expecting a few people out this morning getting an outside ride in before the rain, but not a soul in sight.

Was also expecting a few people out this morning getting an outside ride in before the rain, but not a soul in sight.

I live in a small town,  it was nice not to bump into anyone else out there this morning...its been quite busy the last few weeks.