Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, that just states the obvious about exercise being good for you, this link is the when on how on masks and I couldn't find it here.https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

I was hoping for more on the intricacies of exercise and masks, so it seems we remain with the two camps of we don't have to wear masks and on the other side we need to wear masks if we are in close contact with others. The WHO Facebook post effectively says we should social distance as the most important prevention but they don't deal with the what to do in the event of exercise within the close proximity to others and whether the benefits of wearing a masks outweighs the negative aspects. Although I am fooling myself if I think that any directive from the WHO would be accepted by those that don't want wear masks under any circumstance. So the debate will rage on.

Nope, that just states the obvious about exercise being good for you, this link is the when on how on masks and I couldn't find it here.https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

I was hoping for more on the intricacies of exercise and masks, so it seems we remain with the two camps of we don't have to wear masks and on the other side we need to wear masks if we are in close contact with others. The WHO Facebook post effectively says we should social distance as the most important prevention but they don't deal with the what to do in the event of exercise within the close proximity to others and whether the benefits of wearing a masks outweighs the negative aspects. Although I am fooling myself if I think that any directive from the WHO would be accepted by those that don't want wear masks under any circumstance. So the debate will rage on.

Personally I'm feel strongly that I would rather not exercise than to cycle in close proximity to others i.e. distance away from other people, which is what the url communicate as well.

One can have a massive discussion about what is your close proximity vs my close proximity, but how long is a piece of string... (My string is very long in this case...)

I do the mask thing in suburbs, and try my best to do that while passing people along a route. (Not a lot of them here though)

Edit: Bottom line - to much trust is placed on masks.

Edited by Zatopek

But am I still allowed to throw my toys out of the pram and get all upity when I see someone exercising without a mask?

This has seriously ruined my moral high ground. How am I going to feel superior now?

Haha that is the post of the thread.  The self righteous virtial signallers need to go find anothergame to play and can finally leave us alone.

the debate will rage on by those ignoring the science.  as for proximity, the directives are clear - maintain social distancing, and you can do this by refraining from exercising in groups AND THIS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE TO BE SAFE.  simple as. 

the mask diehards will, however, continue to bang on the drum of "jaa, but WHAT IF ..." and then manufacture all these ridiculous hypothetical unlikely scenarios" to justify their dogmatic view about how much more better they are and how much worse non-mask wearers are

And welcome to you to !!

(Did you really join just to be able to post your frustration ??)  :clap:

Btw the vulnerable don't cycle.  :ph34r:

I know a few very very strong runners/cyclists that are diabetic and therefore vulnerable....

I have a major problem with this. I've just ordered my Oakley branded mask and headband to match my Oakley (exercise only) glasses.

What now?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

The debate will rage on only in your mind.

the rest of us are onto our 2nd cup of coffee and getting the cycling kit ready for the lunch time interval session. Have Olympic try outs to prep for

the debate will rage on by those ignoring the science.  as for proximity, the directives are clear - maintain social distancing, and you can do this by refraining from exercising in groups AND THIS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE TO BE SAFE.  simple as. 

the mask diehards will, however, continue to bang on the drum of "jaa, but WHAT IF ..." and then manufacture all these ridiculous hypothetical unlikely scenarios" to justify their dogmatic view about how much more better they are and how much worse non-mask wearers are

Why does it always have to devolve into and us versus them with snarky little insults?

Surely the debate is how to reduce infections rather than who is right?

You are 100% correct - the best way to not infect someone is to not go near them. After that not leaving your body fluids all over the place is the right way to go. Wearing some kind of barrier like a mask helps with that surely? Even a buff will do the job.

Not riding in maskless in a group like the Savages did is surely also a big no no?

Why does it always have to devolve into and us versus them with snarky little insults?

You are 100% correct - the best way to not infect someone is to not go near them. After that not leaving your body fluids all over the place is the right way to go. Wearing some kind of barrier like a mask helps with that surely? Even a buff will do the job.

Not riding in maskless in a group like the Savages did is surely also a big no no?

could not agree with you more.  at the same time, when a few people have had the temerity to say that it is possible to be safe (for ALL concerned) and also not wear a mask (nothing more - there was no obtuse Trumpian, I AINT GONNA WEAR A MASK BECAUSE...FREEDOM BS), they had scorn, derision and judgement rained down on them.  maybe ask the baying mob rather than the few sentient dissenters

There is no science that proves it is transmitted through body fluids other than respiratory droplets of exhalation.

It is highly unlikely to be transmitted person to person in passing, especially when maintaining a distance of 1m or more.

If that sounds to risky, #stayathome. Even then.....

as some some to intimate that the amount of breathing an athlete does while exercising sure if they have the virus they will be making great big clouds of virus...? Well then living next door to  Alice with corona is going to be problematic isn't it because surely if Alice is outside in her garden exhaling those viruses are going to waft over the face into into your lungs.

Had a catch up call with some of my mates yesterday. One has seen 8 patients last week alone with mild asthma symptoms due to wearing masks while running. None of these patients have a history of asthma......

Other doctors are seeing the same. They're sending off the data weekly so expect to see a reaction from the ministry soon, 

Just seems that some people need to be told to do what is common sense, wear your mask in high risk environments and don't get yourself into hospital because its highest risk of all

There is no science that proves it is transmitted through body fluids other than respiratory droplets of exhalation.

It is highly unlikely to be transmitted person to person in passing, especially when maintaining a distance of 1m or more.

If that sounds to risky, #stayathome. Even then.....

as some some to intimate that the amount of breathing an athlete does while exercising sure if they have the virus they will be making great big clouds of virus...? Well then living next door to  Alice with corona is going to be problematic isn't it because surely if Alice is outside in her garden exhaling those viruses are going to waft over the face into into your lungs.

Had a catch up call with some of my mates yesterday. One has seen 8 patients last week alone with mild asthma symptoms due to wearing masks while running. None of these patients have a history of asthma......

Other doctors are seeing the same. They're sending off the data weekly so expect to see a reaction from the ministry soon, 

Just seems that some people need to be told to do what is common sense, wear your mask in high risk environments and don't get yourself into hospital because its highest risk of all

For sure but given that we were talking about masks I thought it went without saying that we were talking about respiratory fluids....perhaps I should have said MOUTH fluids ont BODY fluids....

1m is great for static or slow moving people but I would not like to be riding behind a cougher or sneezer. There have been various studies for and against slipstreams and distancing but logic tells me fair size drops could statistically go directly from their mouth to mine.

Over here masks have never been mandatory but then the Reff was only over 1 for a short period of time (during that time riding more than 2 side by side was illegal).

As for the asthma - riding bikes outside is voluntary. During the corona pandemic with SA posting record deaths per day I reckon Zwifting indoors without a mask or changing exercise mode for a few weeks/months is probably the right moral thing to do.

Edited by Eldron

1m is great for static or slow moving people but I would not like to be riding behind a cougher or sneezer. There have been various studies for and against slipstreams and distancing but logic tells me fair size drops could statistically go directly from their mouth to mine.

Did you ever get flu from riding in a group?