Bloody drunkard

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya flip. I was so against the alcohol ban because I keep thinking everyone has decent judgement..... then something like this happens. Truly tragic.

Very sad. RIP. Yesterday I heard a lot of emergency vehicles. This was the reason. My condolences to their families.

A ban on alcohol would not effect me . I believe I am a responsible drinker . 1 maybe 2 beers then no more .

However , people like me ( the majority I presume ) are not the problem .

Being blind drunk and still thinking you are OK to drive is the problem .

I wish there was a solution to this problem .

RIP to the cyclist .

It's moments such as these when feelings arise that supports the total ban on alcohol sale kicks. Then I wake up and some reasonableness returns and I realise that many many people in SA have an alcohol problem. Drunk during the day...??!!!

I recall reading...SA ranks in the top 5 of alcohol consumption....in the WORLD.

The funny part is...i think Swaziland and Namibia were ahead of us.

What is it about living on the ars end of africa that drives people to alcohol? maybe its just a genetic disposition for addiction or something...

found it:

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/332909/south-africa-has-some-of-the-heaviest-drinkers-in-the-world/

LOTS of African countries in the top 20 

Edited by morneS555

Not that it really matters but what bloody time of the day did this happen. Looking at the photo it looks middle of the day, and snot drunk???

I recall reading...SA ranks in the top 5 of alcohol consumption....in the WORLD.

The funny part is...i think Swaziland and Namibia were ahead of us.

What is it about living on the ars end of africa that drives people to alcohol? maybe its just a genetic disposition for addiction or something...

found it:

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/332909/south-africa-has-some-of-the-heaviest-drinkers-in-the-world/

LOTS of African countries in the top 20 

They had a Prof on 702 on Monday, discussing the alcohol issue. Couple of things she mentioned that I remember:

-ICU's are again flooded with stab wounds and other injuries related to alcohol. This takes away resources that will be essential once a region hits the peak of the Covid-19 case load. Plus it significantly increases the Covid19 risk to healthcare workers as they have no idea whether the patient is a carrier of the virus, but there isn't enough PPE to wear during normal consults, so they need to treat them without additional protection which means it is actually more risky than treating a person with a high chance of being positive.

-We as society have a very immature relationship with alcohol. It isn't necessarily that it is an addiction thing, it is a lifestyle and habit thing. Allot of people aren't classified as addicted because they can go weeks without a drink when forces(like in lockdown), but when the sales opened allot of people just picked up where they left off.

When we as extended-family go to the sectional title house on the Game-farm on long-weekends we almost never take alcohol along, it isn't something we need to enjoy the weekend. We never think about it. When we then on occasion invite friends along it is surprising when they take out the 6packs and bottles of wine.. even though we only spend 2 nights there.. it feels like they packed for a week.

They never become unpleasant or anything, but it is just a snippet into the psyche of our nation and where a weekend away inevitably means we WILL consume alcohol. The jokes on our work Skype/Zoom sessions also revolve around people being happy to shop for alcohol again and they stocked up proper.

I enjoy a glass of Red, now and then. But we have not bought a single item of alcohol now since it opened up again. We can go without it, as I am sure allot of others can too, for allot of people it's just a habit.

(PS. My dad was an alcoholic and he died as a direct result of it, so my bias is obvious)

Knowing the wife and family, my condolences, and may you find peace in this tough times.

I would like to start seeing “plublic hangings”. There is always an uproar, especially in the community affected (whether it’s cyclists being killed or kids being murdered/raped) at the time of the crime, but we hardly ever hear of the consequences, even if there is.

We need to see car crushing Thursdays broadcasted on SABC. We need to see purple overalls cleaning Toilets and bathroom floors at sporting events (purple meaning that guy did something wrong when he was driving drunk)

The man in the street must be reminded of these ill choices every day. Yes prison is one thing, but I feel the public at large is not aware enough practically of the consequences of these terrible deeds. Public hangings of old was not just for entertainment, it served as the ultimate reminder of the consequences.

PS, banning alcohol might bring some respite for cyclists, but imagine the gang wars - which is a struggle to police - or the imprisoned fathers and mothers - which is easy to police - got nabbed that one time he wanted to drink 1 beer responsibly.

Edited by daniemare

And in KZN a gesuipte truck driver plowed into a taxi and a crowd of pedestrians killing 8 and injuring scores more.

I support the alcohol limit being 0.00% or alternatively a ban on sales of alcohol in totality.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/8-dead-multiple-injured-after-truck-crashes-into-pedestrians-vehicles-in-kzn-20200610

i don't think the 0% threshold is really going to do much in practicality for these accidents.

prohibition also not the answer.

unfortunately it all comes down to education and there is no quick fix there. we have a huge culture of drinking to deal with

They had a Prof on 702 on Monday, discussing the alcohol issue. Couple of things she mentioned that I remember:

-ICU's are again flooded with stab wounds and other injuries related to alcohol. This takes away resources that will be essential once a region hits the peak of the Covid-19 case load. Plus it significantly increases the Covid19 risk to healthcare workers as they have no idea whether the patient is a carrier of the virus, but there isn't enough PPE to wear during normal consults, so they need to treat them without additional protection which means it is actually more risky than treating a person with a high chance of being positive.

-We as society have a very immature relationship with alcohol. It isn't necessarily that it is an addiction thing, it is a lifestyle and habit thing. Allot of people aren't classified as addicted because they can go weeks without a drink when forces(like in lockdown), but when the sales opened allot of people just picked up where they left off.

When we as extended-family go to the sectional title house on the Game-farm on long-weekends we almost never take alcohol along, it isn't something we need to enjoy the weekend. We never think about it. When we then on occasion invite friends along it is surprising when they take out the 6packs and bottles of wine.. even though we only spend 2 nights there.. it feels like they packed for a week.

They never become unpleasant or anything, but it is just a snippet into the psyche of our nation and where a weekend away inevitably means we WILL consume alcohol. The jokes on our work Skype/Zoom sessions also revolve around people being happy to shop for alcohol again and they stocked up proper.

I enjoy a glass of Red, now and then. But we have not bought a single item of alcohol now since it opened up again. We can go without it, as I am sure allot of others can too, for allot of people it's just a habit.

(PS. My dad was an alcoholic and he died as a direct result of it, so my bias is obvious)

I bought a case of Castle Lite the day before the announcement was made that no alcohol will be sold in lockdown. Not because I thought I needed alcohol desperately, but because I enjoy a beer every now and then, especially after exercise.

I still have a wrapped six pack left. I got gifted a bottle of whiskey in 2008, of which I still have around 80% left. I bought a few cases of Nuy on some occasions when I drove past their shop in the Nuy Valley between Worcester and Robertson, and I still have around 4 cases left. The last time I bought was in 2018. 

I bought a bottle of Gin at the end of Feb. My wife and I have only enjoyed two glasses each so far. Since the alcohol sales were allowed again I have not set foot near one, but my colleagues have all been so happy to be able to drown their sorrows since they all ran out in the second week of lockdown.  This is so sad to me that folks are so dependent on alcohol to live a semblance of a fulfilling life.

RIP fellow cyclists.

Condolences to the family. Damn, just seems that lately I seem to come across lots of widows....

But. It may result in fewer drunkards going down that road so as not to ruin their suspension. Myles the excuse we get is that traffic will be diverted to other roads. I am all for speed bumps in suburbs where kids are out about.

Also locally traffic calming measures does not seem to be on the agenda or budget. We have 2 schools in our road. Cops where here one day getting speed readings averaging around 90km/h. That was a couple of years back and everytime the excuse is that its not in the budget.

Hopefully its different up there.

I bought a case of Castle Lite the day before the announcement was made that no alcohol will be sold in lockdown. Not because I thought I needed alcohol desperately, but because I enjoy a beer every now and then, especially after exercise.

I still have a wrapped six pack left. I got gifted a bottle of whiskey in 2008, of which I still have around 80% left. I bought a few cases of Nuy on some occasions when I drove past their shop in the Nuy Valley between Worcester and Robertson, and I still have around 4 cases left. The last time I bought was in 2018. 

I bought a bottle of Gin at the end of Feb. My wife and I have only enjoyed two glasses each so far. Since the alcohol sales were allowed again I have not set foot near one, but my colleagues have all been so happy to be able to drown their sorrows since they all ran out in the second week of lockdown.  This is so sad to me that folks are so dependent on alcohol to live a semblance of a fulfilling life.

hahahaha we are similar.

I have probably had about 5 alcohols in 2020. I can realistically recall 2, but I'm sure there were a couple more.

I have a theory that almost nothing good comes out of drinking booze, where as the nonsense it causes is monumental.

The lives ruined, cars crashed, people abused/killed/raped, the poor decisions, the resulting depression, families ruined....

I'm pretty sure most people here can recount at least 1 situation in their life where alcohol set them back in some way hugely (some people many many more significant times). Our issue as a culture is how this is dealt with.

Some see it as 'funny' they crashed their car and wrote it off and survived, some recount getting away with drunk driving via procedure faults, cheating on girlfriends/spouses etc and the excuse of 'I was blind drunk' is somehow acceptable.

Very few people ever have to confront their decisions and the demon they unleash while intoxicated as the usual response is 'It's ok, drunk' even by those who you have hurt.

Due to my own poor behaviour in the past and those close to me, I have a pretty negative view on boozing. I have seen that dependency destroy lives, very often not those doing the drinking.

I hope this drunk driver get caught, charged with murder and does hard time and becomes somebody's prison wife.

hahahaha we are similar.

I hope this drunk driver get caught, charged with murder and does hard time and becomes somebody's prison wife.

I fully agree with you. It's just not worth it in the long run. What saddens me is that Cyril has apparently referred back to the constituional rights of black people to make umqombothi (homebrewed beer) as a part of the cultural right, and seems to want to prevent government from controlling it under the liquor act.

When a sitting president seems to think that the making of alcohol is a cultural right and must be protected as such on the same day that innocent people lose their lives due to drunk driving, that just makes me want to weep for my nation. God help us, because no else wants to.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/ramaphosa-refers-liquor-bill-back-to-parliament-wants-input-from-traditional-leaders-20200612