Hypothetical dream build (mamil style)

Wayne pudding Mol

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hellava drive for a 1km loop - but then you live in Gauteng so it's probably worth it

We have some pretty awesome trails here as I am slowly finding out, but ya, we did a small road trip last year December and got to ride at GRTP, I still dream of that place, would love to spend more time out that side trying out more of the other trails....

I am about 14ish hours away from you, can I come try the track out as well?

Last Friday morning at about 9:00 we passed through Oudtshoorn ....

was wondering "Cape Town" or "Garden Route" .....  :whistling:

I can say that for the forseeable future I won't be a trail builder - Rob who built my trail is the owner of the Garden route trail park and if you've ever been there, you will know that he knows his ****.  What he's laid out I couldn't imagine and I think the real trail builders have a vision and look at a piece of land and see things 3 dimensionally - right now I am struggling to dig a hole with the machine.

My plan with the machine is to do jobs in tight spaces and help people out (for money) on small holdings/farms with things like septic tanks, paths and fencing holes.  Eventually landscaping once I get the hang of the machine

If I built a trail, I can guarantee it would be rubbish

Whilst I respect those trail builders who can build by hand, to me it seems non productive and definitely not cost effective - it would be very difficult and take very long for someone to do this job by hand on this soil and I'm guessing as the customer I'd be paying more

My trail is probably rideable today but my knee is tender (from building the bridge) and I am pretty much dead certain to crash at full health - fortunately it won't be that fast in the beginning but ultimately the downhill sections are going to be very fast once its bed in

PS, DM me if you want to try my machine built track, about 20 minutes from George

I fully agree. since most trails are built for trail networks that inevitably sees lots of traffic, rain etc, It also just doesn't last building small 30cm high berms as the first guy to go in to hot destroys it completely. With the diggers one can build it proper. 

You are really going to enjoy the track Wayne. Do you have a laaitie to ride it with, otherwise mates will suffice ! Either way the Idea of lighting a fire after work, picking up the rig and ripping a couple of runs and coming back to the fire, crack open a beer.. oh my.. :drool:

Where is your farm/plot? Kind of looks like it overlooks Wilderness area? 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dropper-seat-posts/427421/fox-transfer-316-kashima :thumbup:

Edited by Bos

I thing if Wayne doesn't want bike borne land trail invasions he'd better get off the grid FAST! ;)  :D  :ph34r:

I fully agree. since most trails are built for trail networks that inevitably sees lots of traffic, rain etc, It also just doesn't last building small 30cm high berms as the first guy to go in to hot destroys it completely. With the diggers one can build it proper. 

You are really going to enjoy the track Wayne. Do you have a laaitie to ride it with, otherwise mates will suffice ! Either way the Idea of lighting a fire after work, picking up the rig and ripping a couple of runs and coming back to the fire, crack open a beer.. oh my.. :drool:

Where is your farm/plot? Kind of looks like it overlooks Wilderness area? 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dropper-seat-posts/427421/fox-transfer-316-kashima :thumbup:

That's exactly where it is - my daughter has no interest in riding it and I have no friends that ride bikes.  I need to get the track bed in so I am going to ask some of the guys from my LBS to come and ride this weekend.

So keen to give it a go myself but my knee is not well - may just take a slow cruise around later (slower than usual because on trails by default setting is 9 year old girl)

That's exactly where it is - my daughter has no interest in riding it and I have no friends that ride bikes. I need to get the track bed in so I am going to ask some of the guys from my LBS to come and ride this weekend.

So keen to give it a go myself but my knee is not well - may just take a slow cruise around later (slower than usual because on trails by default setting is 9 year old girl)

9 year old .... enjoy the slow rides, they pick up speed QUICKLY ....

9 year old .... enjoy the slow rides, they pick up speed QUICKLY ....

no I meant I ride like a 9 year old on trails - in fact most will drill me but I am going to raise the bar and ride like a 10 year old with some upskilling on my track

no I meant I ride like a 9 year old on trails - in fact most will drill me but I am going to raise the bar and ride like a 10 year old with some upskilling on my track

Growing up in Knysna I had a track kind of like a slalom track back in 96' with a couple of doubles and berms logs etc. It was built in a firebreak behind our house. I would ride there by myself every afternoon just about. I knew that track so well the features, although many were big for the time became invisible to me, just second nature. Before you know it, youll be fast!

you've come this far and followed my nonsense - here's the track.  It needs to be bedded in and it needs rain.

This part of our plot, like the rest, was infested with alien trees which we've cleared.  The track actually gives is a clear blueprint to plant and nuture the indigenous trees and bushes

Please bear with the dodgy Video - I'm unable to ride although I did have a downhill trundle.  I filmed this walking/running and I have zero video skills - in fact this is my first effort at movie making

https://youtu.be/QIBA39WjtgI