Are the Cradle Wars coming.....?

Mojoman

I believe SA Cycling prohibited time-slots for these type of events. You are only allowed a Start and finish time.

That has a whiff of government logic to it no?

'No you mustn't stagger everyone over the day. Rather wash your hands of the situation and effectively let them go all at the same time

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how is it that someone can arrange an event in a public place - don't you need permission and permits etc for that? Hows this not going to turn into a dog show where people competing are now racing with families on the road. It's really not safe and a matter of time before there are some serious accidents caused by this.

I get people want to do races but this should not be at the expense of public access to a route like the cradle. Its shared by everyone.

Who is making the money and collecting the entries?

And given that the cradle is like cycling mecca how do a bunch of folks get permisison to take over pieces of it for their event?

From their site:

who are Wannado events?

Disclaimer

• If you are uncomfortable with any gathering of any kind, please rather stay away and keep safe in your own environment.

• Participants enter the Cradle Cracker at their own risk.

2020 has turned out to be a very difficult and different year for everybody. Our intention is to give people an opportunity to remain fit and healthy in a safe environment.

We have the same problem at the Eden Forest gate in Stellenbosch.

Some Amoebas keep on parking in front of the Main-gate used by forestry and other municipal authorities.

Mostly Hyundai H-1 drivers for some reason, packed with rugrats

When you try to point out to them the  issue at hand, you get turned into a Toad...

Best part is that there is quite alot or parking available. It beets me why people need to be as close to a gate/ doorway as possible, so that they dont have to walk far to the entry point. However then they enter marathons and bike races of 20+ km

Best part is that there is quite alot or parking available. It beets me why people need to be as close to a gate/ doorway as possible, so that they dont have to walk far to the entry point. However then they enter marathons and bike races of 20+ km

never understand this

I used to go to a gym that was 1 floor up  - you'd be blown away by the amount of people using the lift

never understand this

I used to go to a gym that was 1 floor up - you'd be blown away by the amount of people using the lift

Stellenbosch?

• 3 weeks later...

after a long cycle, yesterday in the cradle must say

cradle wars are coming.

And I can't blame them.

Not point sharing the footage but seriously disappointed in our cycling community.

Lambast me all you want but this is my observation and I have the footage but will make no difference.

From taking up the whole road to being inconsiderate across the board (Yes a few or small portion) but when it gets taken away who do we blame.

Even the arrogance of riders blocking the whole road and creating an unsafe environment for everyone (Yes, your group going past avainto ) where there is already limited space.

The group of 5 that forced me to pass on the wrong side of the road because the yellow lane seems not big enough.

Groups chatting in the yellow lane with friends

People not thinking there are other cyclists coming from behind and just crossing the road

Of my 60+km cycle, only 28km was in the loop and this is what I experienced. the other 40 was on public roads where I had no issues with cars, other cyclist, bikes or even runners and pedestrians.

Makes me wonder. Do we somehow change when we get to the cradle or do we behave like this always?

Not sure? but in all the km on public roads and trails outside the cradle have never had any issues.

cradle wars are coming.

And I can't blame them.

Not point sharing the footage but seriously disappointed in our cycling community.

Lambast me all you want but this is my observation and I have the footage but will make no difference.

Post the footage or why bother posting at all?

Post the footage or why bother posting at all?

gladly when I have a chance later today. But will it make a difference. doubt it.

Why bother posting.

Guess we must all keep quiet and accept that they live amongst us.

A few spoiling it for the many.

gladly when I have a chance later today. But will it make a difference. doubt it.

Why bother posting.

Guess we must all keep quiet and accept that they live amongst us.

A few spoiling it for the many.

No, I meant, if you have this filmed, post it. Name and shame as it were. All the posts bemoaning it mean very little. Maybe, just maybe someone sees it and knows someone in the footage and something changes in peoples attitudes. 

cradle wars are coming.

And I can't blame them.

From taking up the whole road to being inconsiderate across the board (Yes a few or small portion) but when it gets taken away who do we blame.

Even the arrogance of riders blocking the whole road and creating an unsafe environment for everyone (Yes, your group going past avainto ) where there is already limited space.

The group of 5 that forced me to pass on the wrong side of the road because the yellow lane seems not big enough.

People not thinking there are other cyclists coming from behind and just crossing the road

Of my 60+km cycle, only 28km was in the loop and this is what I experienced. the other 40 was on public roads where I had no issues with cars, other cyclist, bikes or even runners and pedestrians.

Makes me wonder. Do we somehow change when we get to the cradle or do we behave like this always?

Not sure? but in all the km on public roads and trails outside the cradle have never had any issues.

Couldn't agree more. Have been avoiding the cradle the last few months but with my brother being up from George, we decided to head out there yesterday.

It was an absolute **** show. I know it has also been discussed at length before, but what really grinds me are the number of single riders with supposed 'support' vehicles following them and causing inconvenience to others. Can understand if it is a club or group.

That said, still had a good ride and I guess as mentioned, there are assholes that feel they own the road and spoil it for the rest of us but we just need to be extra vigilant.

Edited by Fond_TF2

Agree. Post it. 

Text can only convey so much. Personally from what I read I will still visit the spot. What I see might change my mind.

Also, AGREE post it !

Don't know why but I see a lot of dumb-ass riders on the road these days, sounds like they are simply everywhere.  I say name and shame as much as possible, it simply must stop or the freedom/privilege may be taken away for EVERYONE.

That's why I limit the my time on the "road" as much as possible, just enough to get out of my neighborhood and then on the off-road stuff, it's a lot more fun than boring road riding anyway.

cradle wars are coming.

And I can't blame them.

The Cradle is seen as cyclists turf so as soon as the guys cross over the Lanseria road they are in the safe so they spread out.  I ride in from Broadacres side and as you say there are no issues really on that road but once in the cradle then everyone spreads out etc as you say. I have been saying the first really warm days of spring are going to be mental and it looks like my prophecy is unfortunately going to be true. My plan is to avoid the major routes for about a month until the excitement dies down.

I am looking forward to getting out earlier as the temperature goes up to avoid the traffic which has gone up massively. I also see the amount of new riders have increased massively as well. There will be a drop off i think as gyms re-open and people resume their old ways but given the perceived safety of the cradle its likely to have high traffic for a long time. 

But i do think it's time for there to be a regulating and maybe information body formed by stakeholders like the cycle clubs, coffee shops etc to start to educate and inform users.  Its a bit of a free for all at the moment with the amount of people accessing the facilities overwhelming the capacity at many venues and routes. Justa. little bit of education will go a long way.

I am not sure how to get something like that started but it makes sense to do it now prior to their being (more) injuries and potentially dangerous accidents where people get hurt or killed. It happens every year prior to the Argus and 94.7 that the numbers go up and people arrive there as its pretty good as a training route, and inevitably some get hurt, some badly. This is how the spruit was organised when the same happened. Voluntary contributions? I am happy to contribute as i ride there almost every weekend. You pay for N farm for example....

Things like a Saturday with only cyclists on particular roadfs from 7 to 10 am?

Ort ensuring mass entry events arent arranged (running and cycling) for particular routes i.e. they are off limits. No follow cars. Bunches less than 30 riders in each bunch etc.