Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

You have let your standards drop, I thought you were always and advocate of long socks and non of the secret socks would ever do .... what are these man!

image.png.fbb26f17d9c00cf5970a5101d90568c8.png

I'm pretty sure that they are part of the Assos 'Off the bike range' imported directly from Switzerland.
@'Dale is a stylish man.

4 hours ago, 'Dale said:

About day 3 is when the harshness of the cold reality of the hit & run kicks in.🫤

I am discharged now and headed home where the little things become the big things - crutches, handfuls of pills, chicken soup and the hourly emotional roller coaster. I just brushed my teeth and now need to recover.
And I’m alive and sound of mind to type this to my online community. Every message of support here means tons - it brings in positive energy into my world. My son bought me Pika, as he calls it, to help me get better. 😌

The next big milestone is follow-up with the orthopaedic surgeon. And another achievement maybe shaving later this morning. 🎯

Be safe out there, Peoples. 💟

Reckon you can expect to feel quite shaken and more than a little vulnerable - consciously we know we are vulnerable but we still walk around at the center of a cocoon of safety and an incident like yours can leave us feeling that safety is breached. Also not helped by the helplessness of not being able to do the simple things properly - like wipe one's backside or have a shave. (Beard is the way to go - all the fashionable mamils wear them).

Probably I'm preaching to the choir here - I expect you know this.

Gentle patient recovery. 

Also - I'm angry on your behalf with the muppet who did this. I hope he is found and that some punishment will ensue to correct his behaviour and that of the many others like him/her that are out there.

See you on the road in 6 to 8 weeks.

This morning I headed out for a light pedal. Coming around the traffic circle by Table Bay Mall I hear a vehicle behind me, but VERY close. Too close. I veer off the road and hop onto the cycle path and that is when I notice the POS taxi literal centimeters from my wheel. 50 meters later it started raining.

I noped out and went home. I managed a grand ride all of 2 km this a.m.

Let the record state your honour that my bicycle was lit up like a flashing Christmas tree at the time.

. . . I also want to say that pretty much every Kwid on the road in these parts (Sunningdale / Parklands / Blouberg / Tableview) are beat up clunkers driven by morons glued to their cellphones. Most of them are missing a mix of side mirrors and fenders. I am suspicious of them being driven by Uber drivers.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

. . . I also want to say that pretty much every Kwid on the road in these parts (Sunningdale / Parklands / Blouberg / Tableview) are beat up clunkers driven by morons glued to their cellphones. Most of them are missing a mix of side mirrors and fenders. I am suspicious of them being driven by Uber drivers.

I was waiting for someone to say Uber.
But lets not jump to conclusions...

On 3/4/2024 at 12:29 PM, Zebra said:

24th February, caused by a Taxi Driver, near Llandudno...

24th Feb Coastal Road near Llundudno.jpg

I ride and drive that road all the time. At some point in the last few years they actually banned taxis from the route, between llandudno and camps bay, as there are myciti busses, and the taxis were incredibly reckless. But of course, there were protests and burning of busses and here we are back again…

on my way to work the other day I watched a taxi not only overtake on blind corners, but also repeatedly UNDERTAKE cars on blind corners, in the yellow lane, 3 cars at a time. No words. 

It is for this reason of just blatant lawlessness on the roads that I ride a specific route each morning that pretty much ensures I ride on the west coast cycle path and back roads for about 98% of the ride. 

I'm not naive though and realise anytime a car is in the vicinity I'm at risk, and this is why I prefer to ride off-road where I can take calculated risks. My main reason for riding in the mornings is to get and stay fit. I just wish there were more cycle specific routes available. But that's a whole new discussion.

16 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This morning I headed out for a light pedal. Coming around the traffic circle by Table Bay Mall I hear a vehicle behind me, but VERY close. Too close. I veer off the road and hop onto the cycle path and that is when I notice the POS taxi literal centimeters from my wheel. 

11 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

It is for this reason of just blatant lawlessness on the roads that I ride a specific route each morning that pretty much ensures I ride on the west coast cycle path and back roads for about 98% of the ride. 

There are about a half dozen cycle paths in my ‘hood and wide unbusy pavements to ride, and the valley trails are just a few blocks away.  Even so, that PoS taxi driver distracted himself by counting cash and ran me down on a dedicated cycle path in 2022.  The eedjut was still counting his cash as he got out.  A couple of passing drivers stopped to help.  I insisted he pay for my wheel damage and pocketed more than enough of his cash for a rim replacement.  😎

Bust ribs and liver bruising and leg cuts took a bit longer to “fix" than my bike, though.  Most all taxi drivers around here are sensible and considerate in traffic, until that Mensa no-hoper came along.    On a dedicated cycle path, nogal.  Bastardo!  Has less intelligence than a speed bump.

Edited by justinafrika

This forum should be renamed - People are Idiots!!

For context, I'm a cyclist and runner. I'm riding CTCT and training for Two Oceans.

On Sunday I ran in the official Two Oceans training run - HB to Noordhoek and back, over Chappies. The runners at times were three and four abreast in the road when there was often space to run on the kerb.

There were some cyclists three abreast in solid black kit with no taillights in the misty conditions at 6:30 am.

There was a tjop in a Porsche sitting on a car's rear bumper, revving like he was about to start the GP at Monza.

On my drive back to Sea Point on the way back, there was a solo cyclist through Bakoven riding with no hands, while chatting on his phone.

There was an idiot who opened the rear passenger door of their Uber without looking who nearly ended up on my bonnet in Camps Bay.

There was a TT rider in full aero position going through Clifton.

There were countless pedestrians who stepped out between the cars without a thought for bikes/cars/motorcyclists etc.

I'm constantly amazed by the sheer stupidity of people and the lack of awareness of ourselves in space and how that space impacts on others.

Stay safe out there. But be aware that we all have a responsibility to allow others to be safe too.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:31 AM, 'Dale said:

About day 3 is when the harshness of the cold reality of the hit & run kicks in.🫤

I am discharged now and headed home where the little things become the big things - crutches, handfuls of pills, chicken soup and the hourly emotional roller coaster. I just brushed my teeth and now need to recover.
And I’m alive and sound of mind to type this to my online community. Every message of support here means tons - it brings in positive energy into my world. My son bought me Pika, as he calls it, to help me get better. 😌

The next big milestone is follow-up with the orthopaedic surgeon. And another achievement maybe shaving later this morning. 🎯

Be safe out there, Peoples. 💟

IMG_5990.jpeg

Thanks for the update.

I get the feeling that you will find a way to make this a positive experience, no matter the outcome with the actual perpetrator.

*As the wise sage of the hub, I see this as a potential learning opportunity for the rest of us who could unfortunately also ever end up in this situation.

*I note the classics season just started, maybe there will be more on point comments coming from your profile than normal.

but maybe you will battle like a normal person, and go through it privately, as you are entitled to. I do think posting about it here will definitely get a positive response from all of us (most of whom have never met you or know your actual name).

3 hours ago, justinafrika said:

There are about a half dozen cycle paths in my ‘hood and wide unbusy pavements to ride, and the valley trails are just a few blocks away.  Even so, that PoS taxi driver distracted himself by counting cash and ran me down on a dedicated cycle path in 2022.  The eedjut was still counting his cash as he got out.  A couple of passing drivers stopped to help.  I insisted he pay for my wheel damage and pocketed more than enough of his cash for a rim replacement.  😎

Bust ribs and liver bruising and leg cuts took a bit longer to “fix" than my bike, though.  Most all taxi drivers around here are sensible and considerate in traffic, until that Mensa no-hoper came along.    On a dedicated cycle path, nogal.  Bastardo!  Has less intelligence than a speed bump.

Just another reason why going full send down Conties Black Rhino is safer than road riding.

1 hour ago, Spirog said:

The runners at times were three and four abreast in the road when there was often space to run on the kerb.

This has GOT to be my pet peeve. I am absolutely frustrated when I am approaching well left of where normal people cycle, only to be forced into the road because a runner is on my side of the road and refuses to move to let me past. 

If people insist on running on the wrong side of the road then they should consider the cyclist who they expect to either stop or veer into traffic so that they can be given the courtesy of being a chop, I mean pass.

. . . I dislike running. I will stop now.

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This has GOT to be my pet peeve. I am absolutely frustrated when I am approaching well left of where normal people cycle, only to be forced into the road because a runner is on my side of the road and refuses to move to let me past. 

If people insist on running on the wrong side of the road then they should consider the cyclist who they expect to either stop or veer into traffic so that they can be given the courtesy of being a chop, I mean pass.

. . . I dislike running. I will stop now.

It is actually a world wide accepted and recommended practice to run against traffic. In certain parts of the world(lots of the states) it is actually a law to run against traffic. So you must get over yourself, same way cars must get over themselves when it comes to bikes and wait for a safe spot to pass.

Runners should be on a sidewalk if there is one, otherwise they must be moving on the edge of the road towards oncoming traffic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/the-common-mistake-that-puts-runners-in-danger-on-the-road/2017/09/23/264893f2-9249-11e7-8754-d478688d23b4_story.html