Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

3 hours ago, wolver said:

Agree 100%. It's not often but sometimes runners think it's fun to test cyclists by running 4- 5 abreast. They can see the traffic that is behind. I cannot. I don't move. 

Despite the fact that there is a sign that says pedestrians aren't allowed on that stretch, I don't have a problem with people running along there (I do it to very occasionally). However if you are running two or three abreast forcing riders into the traffic lane, you're a C#*T!

There is space for everyone, runners/cyclists/cars, if everyone would just be lekker!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, firewolf said:

Agree 100%. It's not often but sometimes runners think it's fun to test cyclists by running 4- 5 abreast. They can see the traffic that is behind. I cannot. I don't move. 

The issue I was having wasn't so much the traffic from behind, but when moving into the traffic lane to avoid runners and having an oncoming vehicle suddenly overtaking at high speed at the same time ... 🤬

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

The issue I was having wasn't so much the traffic from behind, but when moving into the traffic lane to avoid runners and having an oncoming vehicle suddenly overtaking at high speed at the same time ... 🤬

Throw your bottle at them

On 9/6/2024 at 1:07 PM, Frosty said:

Hope the cyclist is okay.

The marks on the bonnet and smashed glass could indicate the cyclist was travelling in the same line of travel as the car. It's on the left side of the car, with no damage to the bumper/lights. Most likely a hit from behind based on a visible evidence in the photo.

This was on my local WA group at 15:57. My guess is they were both going up the hill and motorist was looking directly into afternoon sun and didn't notice cyclist. Car has crossed the entire road, but still facing forward, guess they swerved but just too late.

There's a big shoulder here on both sides, this is my local "hill" and a weird spot for an incident. 

20 hours ago, wolver said:

Despite the fact that there is a sign that says pedestrians aren't allowed on that stretch, I don't have a problem with people running along there (I do it to very occasionally). However if you are running two or three abreast forcing riders into the traffic lane, you're a C#*T!

There is space for everyone, runners/cyclists/cars, if everyone would just be lekker!

Society will blame the cyclists. We are the evil with our 8kg unlicensed havoc wreaking machines. Such a menace to everyone these cyclists.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Throw your bottle at them

While I can agree with @Jewbacca on this type of retaliation, I learnt a valuable lesson a few weeks ago.

I came through Noorder Paarl on my dual and got harassed by a few taxis shooting past simply to do an emergency style stop 5-10 meters ahead of me. The streets are usually lined with parked cars on both sides, hence these dingbats would double "park" in the roadway to on/off load peepul and in doing so simply block all traffic behind them. I had to come to complete stops on 5 occasions since cars from behind squeezed between stationary taxis and oncoming traffic. 

The 6th time was one too many and, as I passed the taxi I banged the side with a flat hand. Obviously a few occupants nearly soiled themselves from the loud bang, but now the driver and his "gartjie" were livid. For the next 2 kilo's I really feared for my life as I was on/off the pavements and threading between parked cars to evade their attempts to get me off my bike. The taxi would race ahead, stop while 2 specimens jump out and attempt to run me off my bike. Thank goodness some motorists witnessed this and came to my rescue by blocking the taxi-driver's plans to take to the sidewalk in his stupor. Thank heavens I was on a bike that could safely negotiate kerbs, driveways, etc.

Best is to just let them go on their way rather than give your anger fresh air. This is like making that first confession at an AA meeting since I was born to hate taxis with a passion, but I'd still love to teach my toddler grandsons to ride their bikes when they grow up.

Stay safe ya'll 

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

While I can agree with @Jewbacca on this type of retaliation, I learnt a valuable lesson a few weeks ago.

I came through Noorder Paarl on my dual and got harassed by a few taxis shooting past simply to do an emergency style stop 5-10 meters ahead of me. The streets are usually lined with parked cars on both sides, hence these dingbats would double "park" in the roadway to on/off load peepul and in doing so simply block all traffic behind them. I had to come to complete stops on 5 occasions since cars from behind squeezed between stationary taxis and oncoming traffic. 

The 6th time was one too many and, as I passed the taxi I banged the side with a flat hand. Obviously a few occupants nearly soiled themselves from the loud bang, but now the driver and his "gartjie" were livid. For the next 2 kilo's I really feared for my life as I was on/off the pavements and threading between parked cars to evade their attempts to get me off my bike. The taxi would race ahead, stop while 2 specimens jump out and attempt to run me off my bike. Thank goodness some motorists witnessed this and came to my rescue by blocking the taxi-driver's plans to take to the sidewalk in his stupor. Thank heavens I was on a bike that could safely negotiate kerbs, driveways, etc.

Best is to just let them go on their way rather than give your anger fresh air. This is like making that first confession at an AA meeting since I was born to hate taxis with a passion, but I'd still love to teach my toddler grandsons to ride their bikes when they grow up.

Stay safe ya'll 

I don’t think jewbacca was being serious.

33 minutes ago, Mook said:

Stay safe ya'll 

Wise man, you have now taken to heart the number ONE rule of road cycling: STAY ALIVE! No matter what, even "letting a taxi go" is trumped by that rule!

4 hours ago, Meezo said:

Daily occurrence it seems , what's going on

Screenshot_20240909_220235_Facebook~2.jpg

Crappy section of road that.

Too narrow.

BUSY !!

Horribly high curbstone.

Sadly this applies to many of the parallel roads linking to Wellington street.

Spidey senses in overdrive along that section

Well done to Club Cyclelab bunch riding in the Cradle yesterday morning ...not just over the cycle lane but now even over the centre line....just so you can chat ...and when someone gets hit everyone Bayes for the car drivers blood.

11 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Well done to Club Cyclelab bunch riding in the Cradle yesterday morning ...not just over the cycle lane but now even over the centre line....just so you can chat ...and when someone gets hit everyone Bayes for the car drivers blood.

Would be interesting to see how many times CL have been called out for this sort of thing over the years ...

10 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Perhaps lodge an official complaint to the club stating time and location of the incident? 

Probably get lashed by the haters. What they don't get is that even if there is a club safety policy in place, when a marshall is standing in front of a judge after a death answering to what extent he/she was enforcing the policy on the day....

It was at about 08:20/08:30 on the descent from the highest point of the Cradle, riding roughly northbound. By the pace probably A or B bunch.