Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

the worst was driving down the highway, you see the long flowing mane of blond hair and think there is a hotty in the car infront of you, then you get along side and see the stuble and adams apple.

Or, if you're lucky, an Afghan hound.

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

the worst was driving down the highway, you see the long flowing mane of blond hair and think there is a hotty in the car infront of you, then you get along side and see the stuble and adams apple.

Hiehie .... Is true ....

Now I am laughing .... back then my expression must have been a sight to behold .... :eek:

9 hours ago, Mook said:

It depends what he/she identify as 🤷‍♂️

If you decide to take a swing, make it count.

I totally agree 🤣

8 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Was about to say it is a lady ... but that would be based on the ponytail hair.  And that certainly is no longer a sure sign ...

This also is very true…image.gif.1b27a4b54032fc6b1d96e1395c725e3a.gif

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Safety car is in the circuit. image.gif.1b27a4b54032fc6b1d96e1395c725e3a.gif

On 10/20/2024 at 3:49 PM, Jan D said:

…..

but I do want to respectfully give a little pushback here and say that if you are unable to overtake cyclists riding two abreast safely, there is no room for you to overtake a single file safely.

Could not be further from the truth. Remember, My Citi busses use that stretch, and even pass single-file cyclists,when safe to do so. There is sufficient room for me to safely pass a cyclist, with a decent ‘gap’, on say 80-90% on that road.

I feel you are confusing PASSING, with OVERTAKING. Single file cyclist, i simply pass them, giving generous/sufficient gap.

When cyclists riding 2 abreast, I would need to overtake, meaning crossing centre line.

Happy to meet with you in -situ, and demonstrate this.  Your statement “…there is no room for you to overtake a single file safely”:is simply wrong, I and seemingly thousands of others, having been doing it, carefully and considerately, for the last 14-odd years.

There is a reason there are single-file signs in many areas, and, it is the law.

I stand by what i wrote, and will continue passing single-file cyclists with due consideration, a smile and a wave. After all, i, too, am a cyclist.

Cheers.

15 hours ago, Zebra said:

I feel you are confusing PASSING, with OVERTAKING. Single file cyclist, i simply pass them, giving generous/sufficient gap.

When cyclists riding 2 abreast, I would need to overtake, meaning crossing centre line.

Happy to meet with you in -situ, and demonstrate this.  Your statement “…there is no room for you to overtake a single file safely”:is simply wrong, I and seemingly thousands of others, having been doing it, carefully and considerately, for the last 14-odd years.

There is a reason there are single-file signs in many areas, and, it is the law.

I stand by what i wrote, and will continue passing single-file cyclists with due consideration, a smile and a wave. After all, i, too, am a cyclist.

Cheers.

Semantics aside - many drivers are unable to, or feel indifference about, correctly and safely passing cyclists, no matter their number or riding style. Riding two abreast discourages this when either overtaking or passing is unsafe. Other times, single file is better and safer. When riding in group, I feel more comfortable in single-file 90% of the time. The example of someone slowly climbing a hill mid-lane past a blind bend you gave is clearly a case where single file was more appropriate.

As I said, this is nothing directed at you, I am only questioning whether a blanket application of the single file rule promotes safety for cyclists. Neither "taking up space" or single file are useful in all circumstances and we must exercise discretion to ensure our own safety.

Edited by Jan D
Spelling

5 hours ago, Jan D said:

Semantics aside - many drivers are unable, or indifferent, to correctly and safely pass cyclists, no matter their number and riding style. Riding two abreast discourages this when either overtaking or passing is unsafe. Other times, single file is better and safer, when riding in group. I feel more comfortable in single-file 90% of the time. The example of someone slowly climbing a hill mid-line past a blind bend you gave is clearly a case where single file was more appropriate.

As I said, this is nothing directed at you, I am only questioning whether a blanket application of the single file rule promotes safety for cyclists. Neither "taking up space" or single file are useful in all applications and we must exercise discretion to ensure our own safety.

Well said.

A time and a place for each.

This is where I love my Varia.

Coming down Bainskloof, even Franschhoek pass, I hate being squeezed into that ditch.

I spend time at the top reading the traffic, trying to find an open spot .... then sprint down mid lane ... keeping an eye on the Varia.  When a vehicle catches up, I look for a safer passing spot, sit up, slow down, and wave them past.

The last 7km to Philladelphia is probably one of our worst spots .... most drivers a nice to cyclists though.  Again, another spot where the Varia helps.  When  i see an oncoming vehicle, from the front, I look at the Varia to see if another might cross this vehicle close to me.  Gravel, if safe to do so, nasty step lately, so often risky. Varia blinking super fast as the car catches up, and a gentle wave of the arm.  Not fool proof, at least I am trying.