Am I being unreasonable here?

RobertWhitehead

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go to screw up your business Morné !

Edit:  What I don't get, you can loose a lot more than R3.6k, don't be stupid.

The only way to redeem yourself somewhat is to unconditionally apologies (publicly for everyone to see) and a full refund.  If not, you will suffer the consequence by means of a dying business.

I must say that  have a little lists of who not to deal with in the cycling related and he just made the list

Edited by Quagga

I've had many a bike serviced at techno guide because my office (in Techno Park) was 5 minutes walk away, so I've dealt with Morne many times. We are not big buddies or anything, but I can say that I'd be pretty surprised if he was intentionally trying to con/scam somebody. The work his mechanics did and the prices were always reasonable. There would be the odd mistake, but nothing sinister. 

I say all this because I hope it will give the buyer peace of mind. He's not some faceless conman/scammer, he ran a reputable brick and mortar service center in techno park. When you're trying to resolve something and somebody doesn't reply for a day, it feels like a week and you feel like you've been conned or something... I'm sure many of us have been there. 

When I last spoke to him he was dabbling a bit in the second hand market and my guess is that he had too many pots on the boil (which often seemed like the case), sent the wrong thing to the wrong person and has not sorted it out yet. 

I don't know, maybe the fact that techno park became a ghost town during lockdown really hit his business and he's gotten desperate or something, but as I've said, that would surprise me. The morne I knew was not a bad egg. 

You guys should be able to sort it out. 

I've had many a bike serviced at techno guide because my office (in Techno Park) was 5 minutes walk away, so I've dealt with Morne many times. We are not big buddies or anything, but I can say that I'd be pretty surprised if he was intentionally trying to con/scam somebody. The work his mechanics did and the prices were always reasonable. There would be the odd mistake, but nothing sinister. 

I say all this because I hope it will give the buyer peace of mind. He's not some faceless conman/scammer, he ran a reputable brick and mortar service center in techno park. When you're trying to resolve something and somebody doesn't reply for a day, it feels like a week and you feel like you've been conned or something... I'm sure many of us have been there. 

When I last spoke to him he was dabbling a bit in the second hand market and my guess is that he had too many pots on the boil (which often seemed like the case), sent the wrong thing to the wrong person and has not sorted it out yet. 

I don't know, maybe the fact that techno park became a ghost town during lockdown really hit his business and he's gotten desperate or something, but as I've said, that would surprise me. The morne I knew was not a bad egg. 

You guys should be able to sort it out. 

Seems like the OP has tried.

But why must the OP sell the fork and not be refunded imediately?

It's after 14:00!!!!

According to ex-British PM, Harold Wilson, a week is a long time in politics.

Now we know that 45 minutes is a long time on the interwebs.

Morne van Rensburg was outed an hour ago, tarred, feathered and has had a stake driven through his heart. 

Seems like the OP has tried.

But why must the OP sell the fork and not be refunded imediately?

Nice post Nick ,

But from the facts posted by the OP , he needs to be refunded , and forthwith .

Maybe Morne will redeem himself by refunding in full , and paying postage . 

Hey Chaps, for the record, I'm inclined to believe the OP's record of events and think he should be refunded. But I've found that just knowing that the person on the other end of the line actually exists and is not some "oil rig" type scammer or something goes a long way. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have said anything tbh. 

I agree with you Nick, I never treated Mornè any differently than I would my own mother and or family member. I know that he's probably going through a tough time with everything else that's going on in the world. If he came to me and stated his case in such a way as to say, I am so sorry man, it is my mistake and I will make sure you get your money back at such and such a date then we could've had a discussion about it. But as it stands now he's not being fair, I can't pay R4100 for the fork without a thru axle and then send it back to him before maybe, possibly getting my money back. Then I can much rather list it (as I have done) and purchase a TA locally before having someone else enjoy it 

Hey Chaps, for the record, I'm inclined to believe the OP's record of events and think he should be refunded. But I've found that just knowing that the person on the other end of the line actually exists and is not some "oil rig" type scammer or something goes a long way. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have said anything tbh. 

According to ex-British PM, Harold Wilson, a week is a long time in politics.

Now we know that 45 minutes is a long time on the interwebs.

Morne van Rensburg was outed an hour ago, tarred, feathered and has had a stake driven through his heart. 

I see this! 

Sjoe, what a pity. I was hoping he was going to come good.

Sorry Robert. I hope you manage to see the fork on!

Morne, my man.... eish

I agree with you Nick, I never treated Mornè any differently than I would my own mother and or family member. I know that he's probably going through a tough time with everything else that's going on in the world. If he came to me and stated his case in such a way as to say, I am so sorry man, it is my mistake and I will make sure you get your money back at such and such a date then we could've had a discussion about it. But as it stands now he's not being fair, I can't pay R4100 for the fork without a thru axle and then send it back to him before maybe, possibly getting my money back. Then I can much rather list it (as I have done) and purchase a TA locally before having someone else enjoy it 

100%. Hope you come right. 

I dont think you should advertise it yet.

Demand your money back and if he does not do this report to Admin, kick him off the hub and only then advertise the fork etc

I'm not a big fan of "guilty unless proven innocent" but it applies in this case. You stumped up before he sent the goods so he should reciprocate and send you a full refund + shipping before you return the fork. Fairness works both ways.

Morne is skelm until he proves otherwise.