Stephan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Shebeen said:

ok let's talk diesel

This was 2018 I think, but doubt things have changed.  The hotwater geysers at Nossob are heated by a diesel generator. The payback on a solar system there would be ~6 months, but hey must be a nice diesel supply contract for someone. (it's very hard not to be cynical when you see something so obvious) 

Solar water geysers tend to function very poorly in extremely cold environments like the Kalahari in winter. Despite the abundence of sunshine, the very common below zero night time temperatures (often to -5 and occasionally down to -10 or worse) tend to kill the solar water systems. I would also rather use gas or diesel in that part of the world, at least in winter. Gas is tricky with tourists and people who don't know how to operate with it, leaving diesel as a good option. In summer you can shower cold, rather, a cold shower is essential with 30+ daily temperatures (often 40+). In autumn and spring solar geysers could work well there. Perhaps one of the engineer types can elaborate? 

1 hour ago, DJR said:

Solar water geysers tend to function very poorly in extremely cold environments like the Kalahari in winter. Despite the abundence of sunshine, the very common below zero night time temperatures (often to -5 and occasionally down to -10 or worse) tend to kill the solar water systems. I would also rather use gas or diesel in that part of the world, at least in winter. Gas is tricky with tourists and people who don't know how to operate with it, leaving diesel as a good option. In summer you can shower cold, rather, a cold shower is essential with 30+ daily temperatures (often 40+). In autumn and spring solar geysers could work well there. Perhaps one of the engineer types can elaborate? 

Just an FYI, Shebeen is an electrical Engineer with an MBA in renewable energy.

You're engaging with the perfect guy although he can be a little painful sometimes 😜

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

You're engaging with the perfect guy although he can be a little painful sometimes 😜

I thought all he was good for was running a Shebeen .... #YouLearnSomethingEveryDay

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Just an FYI, Shebeen is an electrical Engineer with an MBA in renewable energy....................

20 hours ago, DJR said:

............... Perhaps one of the engineer types can elaborate? 

It's like I'm a very bad psycic 🤪 

On 6/23/2023 at 11:33 AM, DJR said:

The misconception of solar is that its a drop in solution for everyone. Its not. In Europe the inverters are fitted inside homes that are heated by natural gas so the batteries don't see the sub zero ambient temperatures that would impede their ability to deliver W.hrs. and high start up Amps required by certain appliances. Out n the bush camps there's only electricity providing heating so diesel generators are used because they can deliver the required start up current.

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

The misconception of solar is that its a drop in solution for everyone. Its not. In Europe the inverters are fitted inside homes that are heated by natural gas so the batteries don't see the sub zero ambient temperatures that would impede their ability to deliver W.hrs. and high start up Amps required by certain appliances. Out n the bush camps there's only electricity providing heating so diesel generators are used because they can deliver the required start up current.

Oh so that's why the submarines imploded !?

On 6/23/2023 at 1:32 PM, Jewbacca said:

shush!

On 6/23/2023 at 11:33 AM, DJR said:

good point, but don't think Nossob* gets that cold. The vacuum tube solution will do just fine, 

Also remember this large camp is about 6hrs drive into the park, so diesel gets trucked in through the main park road, full day round trip that, imagine the cost on that? Maybe things have changed, but there was zero effort taken to reduce elec usage, despite being on a gennie in a moer en gone place. People camping bring all sorts of stuff because elec was unlimited - like portable aircons for their tents!

looks like they have actually installed some there, so my argument is possibly outdated!

nossob-rest-camp.jpg?w=1200&h=-1&s=1

*sending a crew this weekend to investigate!

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

People camping bring all sorts of stuff because elec was unlimited - like portable aircons for their tents!

No man ... AC for your tent .... 

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

No man ... AC for your tent .... 

Very common in Kruger in summer (maybe winter too, just not been there). Imagine you have a nice quiet spot and a huge caravan with all mod cons and aircon pulls in 2m from your ear! Eish.

I too shall investigate Nossob in about a weeks' time; all things being equal. Then on to Mabua.

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Laugh Out Loud. I know people who go camp and take almost everything. Portable aircon, microwave and a 150/200L fridge!

If we use our microwave twice a month in home that would be a lot.
A way to keep food cold would make sense if you are out in the sticks for a while.

4 hours ago, mazambaan said:

.........I too shall investigate Nossob in about a weeks' time; all things being equal. Then on to Mabua.

Very jealous.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

If we use our microwave twice a month in home that would be a lot.
A way to keep food cold would make sense if you are out in the sticks for a while.

how do you make popcorn for threads like this?

19 hours ago, Shebeen said:

how do you make popcorn for threads like this?

Believe it or not, people made popcorn well before the invention f the microwave oven ......... yes, I know, I date to those prehistoric times.🤪