Is anyone on strava here?

arandre

14 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

There are guys that ride with Go-pros, that downloads very easy to your mobile and is very easily edited, so I don't see a problem at all, I think its a nice feature.

100% it's a nice feature, i agree fully. Also aware that many guys have Go-Pro's too which is cool, Was just saying I foresee a few a few incidents on the horizon LOL

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

100% it's a nice feature, i agree fully. Also aware that many guys have Go-Pro's too which is cool, Was just saying I foresee a few a few incidents on the horizon LOL

And hopefully make Strava the new youtube fails basis, could get entertaining.

9 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

And hopefully make Strava the new youtube fails basis, could get entertaining.

All they have to do now is make hashtags trend and Instagram will lose business hahaha

On 6/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, Jewbacca said:

If you don't ride, how do you know where these places are? You use heat maps and go from there.

This is testimony of actual bike jackers. Not me

So how come you know actual bike jackers ???

😜

• 7 months later...

Digging up an old thread to keep it relevant to the thread title.

Strava’s CEO Resigns: Company Begins Search for New KOM
If you became the new CEO, what changes would you make?
No limits to your imagination, and remember… if it isn’t posted here, it never happened.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/02/strava-ceo-michael-horvath-resigns-company.html

I’ll go first:

Add support for registered event organisers to use segments as a way to time events. Currently not allowed, as I had asked previously enquirer when planning an alternative timing format for a race.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

No limits to your imagination, and remember… if it isn’t posted here, it never happened.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/02/strava-ceo-michael-horvath-resigns-company.html

I’ll go first:

Add support for registered event organisers to use segments as a way to time events. Currently not allowed, as I had asked previously enquirer when planning an alternative timing format for a race.

2020 Stanford classic 2.day race used Strava for timing.

Small field, so first three were on the podium, but for positions you had to share your Strava data.

Makes a lot of sense for the smaller events 👍

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

No limits to your imagination, and remember… if it isn’t posted here, it never happened..

I’d reinvent the segment feature:

1-public segments will be reviewed and standardised, private segments to each subscribers own desire

2-I’d make segment PB’s seasonal, I’ve been using Strava for 10yrs and don’t see myself setting new PBs anytime soon unless they become relevant to my age, season etc

3-agree with the OP, as part of public segments, I would monetise segments that cover a full race/course distance to augment official timing and instant classification after an event.

I’d overhaul the equipment feature too:

1-specific maintenance reminders for all types of equipments and recorded history of maintenance conducted

2-monetise equipment upgrades and benefits based off of equipment ageing 

3-build a workshop feature that bicycle merchants can use to track their clients equipment usage, and to use the platform for service records, frame warranties and billing and payments etc

lastly the club feature leaderboard sucks

1-add annual distance and elevation leaders

2-allow club presidents to publish segments that club members can ride in a set time period for fun club leaderboard events

3-facilitate club premiums and memberships through a merchant model

actually last last feature

1-build out a clothing/branding merchandise store that clubs and Strava localise in partnership with local brands for seasonal equipment

2-handle ordering and online payments 

ADIDAS - All Day I Dream About Strava😇

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

I’ll go first:

Do a reasonability test on KOM's...some are just so way out of line with next rider, and there are a lot of people out there that just do not care that they forgot to turn of Garmin, etc. when driving home... 

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

I’ll go first:

I think that is a great idea for smaller events. Surely you can just do this by riding the route a couple of days beforehand and create the segment?

By whom was this not allowed? The brain surgeons at CSA?

41 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

By whom was this not allowed? The brain surgeons at CSA?

Strava don’t allow it.

I was looking at the API to automate the process. When I enquired about the 1000 call/day limit, they asked what my intentions were. After explaining, they sent a legal letter to advise that it’s a breach of their T&Cs.

My idea (in 2020; the year of the gogga) would be to have a single-day event with segments used to time each person. Winners can be fastest overall on all segments, fastest on each segment (both up and down), age groups, gender, etc. The possibilities are numerous.

Every time a race crosses a road, or intersection, there needs to be marshal. They are not allowed to direct traffic (by law), so Metro needs to be there. This costs money. Take away the need for speed over 50-100km events, and split it into segments where the dangerous areas don’t count for time. The Marshal and Metro Officer count can be reduced. With the state of our roads, we could host a 100km race, but only 60km counts for time over a number of segments. The dangerous areas in between would be neutral zones (un-timed). Almost like enduro does it, but on other events like road, gravel and MTB.

Participants would have to obey road rules, like stopping at an intersection, then crossing when safe; without any penalty on their race time.

Something different! Something new! 

Make e-bike an option for users to set as their default activity type.
Make e-bike a reason for flagging.
Warn users after an e-bike flag that another flag will have them automatically set to e-bike as default upload setting.

Make segments flaggable with reasons other than danger (e.g. duplicate segment, poor choice of start or end.

Auto detect unrealistic efforts and prompt users to crop activities or change type.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Strava don’t allow it.

I was looking at the API to automate the process. When I enquired about the 1000 call/day limit, they asked what my intentions were. After explaining, they sent a legal letter to advise that it’s a breach of their T&Cs.

My idea (in 2020; the year of the gogga) would be to have a single-day event with segments used to time each person. Winners can be fastest overall on all segments, fastest on each segment (both up and down), age groups, gender, etc. The possibilities are numerous.

Every time a race crosses a road, or intersection, there needs to be marshal. They are not allowed to direct traffic (by law), so Metro needs to be there. This costs money. Take away the need for speed over 50-100km events, and split it into segments where the dangerous areas don’t count for time. The Marshal and Metro Officer count can be reduced. With the state of our roads, we could host a 100km race, but only 60km counts for time over a number of segments. The dangerous areas in between would be neutral zones (un-timed). Almost like enduro does it, but on other events like road, gravel and MTB.

Participants would have to obey road rules, like stopping at an intersection, then crossing when safe; without any penalty on their race time.

This is allowed, maybe just not in the way you intended to do it with their API.
Racetec had a Strava challenge during gogga times with local climbs. It was very poorly supported.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Strava don’t allow it.

This would be a fun event, for the masses. Besides being sanctioned, there would be no formal racing categories, so no need to get officials to the event(s).

Entries would be cheaper, prizes are smaller but more spread over the field, and based on those categories I mention. Segments could be as short as 100m, where the average Joe can compete against Serious Sue.

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Strava don’t allow it.

Did you by any chance point out that there is earning potential for Strava there? Over last couple of years this has become a big focus of theirs

All timing comes at some charge, one would think that Strava could do this at a very competitive rate