Wine2Whales 2021

Warrenlee

They were checking the Covid test results before being allowed to enter the building to pick up race packs. They also had a mobile / mini testing center on site for those who were not aware of the requirement. Given the amount of okes all over each other at the water points I was pretty happy with the idea, and it was quite lekker being in a relatively / theoretically Covid-free bubble for a couple of days. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an incredible event! It's easy to see why this is regarded one of the top events in South Africa! The organisation is on another level. Everything you want is right there. Woolworths did the catering and it was superb! 

As far as the riding goes it is absolutely mind-blowing! We started in batch H and had a great day. For the second and third stage we moved up to batch C. It was really nice riding with that group as there's very little pushing. It's flat taps from the start. 

Squirt was amazing and really looked after us from the moment we got there! We were spoilt rotten with lots of kit and product etc. 

IMG-20211107-WA0024.jpg

So to the peeps who have done this year's event - how did the switchback route compare to previous years? Which version is better?

51 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

So to the peeps who have done this year's event - how did the switchback route compare to previous years? Which version is better?

I've never done the normal route, but I just could not imagine going up that portage section. Down was bad enough.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

I can't say which is better,  both versions was really good but stage 3 at the SB for me is definitely harder. For the guys doing the shiraz keep something in the tank for the last 15km 

5 hours ago, Warrenlee said:

What an incredible event! It's easy to see why this is regarded one of the top events in South Africa! The organisation is on another level. Everything you want is right there. Woolworths did the catering and it was superb! 

As far as the riding goes it is absolutely mind-blowing! We started in batch H and had a great day. For the second and third stage we moved up to batch C. It was really nice riding with that group as there's very little pushing. It's flat taps from the start. 

Squirt was amazing and really looked after us from the moment we got there! We were spoilt rotten with lots of kit and product etc. 

IMG-20211107-WA0024.jpg

I agree ????

My first MTB event and I was blown away by the whole operation. 

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Yeah we’ll sort of. Vaccination reduces the risk of transmissions as does having had covid. In combination the individual has best immunity.

the idea of immunity is your body destroys the infection before it reaches contagious level, therefore very low risks of further transmission.

anti gen test is just another hurdle to reduce risk even further.

Think this goes back to the CSA covid protocols.

One day events has certain requirements based on number of entrants.

Multi.day events has a different set of rules.

As you said, all aimed at improving the overall risk.

30 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Think this goes back to the CSA covid protocols.

One day events has certain requirements based on number of entrants.

Multi.day events has a different set of rules.

As you said, all aimed at improving the overall risk.

I understand why it's all necessary, but it was a bit annoying having to get temperature checked every single time we went to eat, shower or enter the chill lounge.

2 hours ago, HenryS said:

I understand why it's all necessary, but it was a bit annoying having to get temperature checked every single time we went to eat, shower or enter the chill lounge.

Or moving between the chill zone and the bar. Mask on, sanitize, temp. WTF is the purpose? 

On 10/13/2021 at 7:54 AM, Help.Me. said:

I do not want to high jack the thread, but every body rave about any race , stage race or a day event and telling about the the blast they had , stopping halfway and taking pictures and enjoying the scenery etc etc.......how come don't I share the same sentiment , I try to be fairly good prepared for the race/event but at the end it is still fairly tough for me. Before you ask I am not a racing snake I am a mid pack rider, I basically just plod along and finish the event. I did Ride the Karoo a few weeks back and when walking past people at the showers/downing hall/ bar I wonder if they all feel as stuffed as I feel? I just want to get in the shade and sleep till the next day, then you get people really partying till very late and next day they are back on their bikes hitting the road as if nothing happened...........WHAT am I doing wrong??......????

Try eating / snacking more during your ride, start early and keep on snacking small amounts throughout the whole ride.

Good luck ????

7 hours ago, fanievb said:

Or moving between the chill zone and the bar. Mask on, sanitize, temp. WTF is the purpose? 

The fact that everyone there regardless of vaccination status had to produce a negative covid test at registration should have allowed us a few freedoms over the 3 days like maybe just a once daily temperatures check.

2 hours ago, HenryS said:

The fact that everyone there regardless of vaccination status had to produce a negative covid test at registration should have allowed us a few freedoms over the 3 days like maybe just a once daily temperatures check.

Temperature checks on an athlete during an event is a useless exercise, it’s just window dressing. Your temperature will be slightly elevated anyway

12 hours ago, HenryS said:

Protocols at Epic was as annoying with the daily mypass temp check and scan in... however after 3 days you get used to annoyance and come to live with it.

20 hours ago, Skubarra said:

This morning, my partner was chatting to Eugene of Bike Inn fame who has done both versions and he reckoned that the switchback route was tougher overall. If that's the case, then I definitely want to do the regular route.

I've never seen anything negative said about this event, and after the last few days I can see why. The organisation is impeccable, the food is excellent and it's generally just such a lekker vibe. The water points also have everything you need including mechanics (which is what I needed on Monday).

I had an interesting issue with my brakes. On Saturday before the race, I put new brake pads in and all was well until about 40 k's in on Monday morning where I was really battling until I realised that my rear brakes were engaged. It then released and I continued on my way until the start of the big climb at Botrivier where it happened again. The only way I could get going was to remove my rear brake pads and ride like that. At least it was all uphill to the next stop. At the last water point, the mechanic drained a bit of the brake fluid from each brake and all was sorted, or so I thought. The next day it happened again with both wheels and we eventually realised that the brake reservoirs were getting hot in the sun. I then tied a buff around each one and the problem went away as they were out of direct sunlight. Apparently this is a known issue with Sram Guide brakes and the reservoir needs to be replaced. The lesson to be learned here - never change anything just before a big event without having time to test it properly and make sure everything works!

7 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Does anyone know if the rapid antigen test results must be printed or can we just show it off our phones?

They just looked at my printed copy and gave it back, so I would imagine that phone should be ok.