Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

10 minutes ago, mtbdave said:

Difference in overtaking speeds on uphills, specifically further back where speed differences increase, adds to accident/danger factor, when they fly past through mini gaps. 

Correct, a social guy or lady riding in the 4th last batch for example at CTCT who manages to go just past a slower rider infront of them at 9km/h up Chappies isn't expecting someone to come flying past them at 25km/h on their right who wasn't there 5secs before when they just past the other rider.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I'm all for ebikes in the CTCT. People on bikes is good.

But reading the rules, your estimate is probably on the low side. It may also ease the concerns of the more fragile 3-hour racer crowd.

Give it a read: https://www.capetowncycletour.com/race-entry-terms-and-conditions/

3. E-Bikes/ Power Assisted Bicycles
3.1. Definition: In this clause the term “e-bike” means a bicycle that has pedals as its primary mode of propulsion and an auxiliary electric motor as a form of power assistance.
3.2. Should a cyclist wish to use a power assisted (PAS) bicycle in the Cape Town Cycle Tour only a bicycle which has electricity as its auxiliary power may be ridden.
3.3. Should a rider wish to partake in the Cycle Tour by using an e-bike, such rider must select the E-bike category when completing the online entry for the Cycle Tour.
3.4. If the rider failed to register in the E-bike category, he/she will not be allowed to partake in the Cycle Tour.
3.5. Any person riding an e-bike on the Cycle Tour that has not formally entered as an E-Bike participant shall be disqualified from this and future Cycle Tours.
3.6. An e-bike may only be used by a rider in the Cycle Tour if such e-bike adheres to ALL of the following requirements:
3.6.1. it weighs less than 30 kg;
3.6.2. it looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion;
3.6.3. the auxiliary electric motor with which it is equipped has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W (or 0.25kW);
3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);
3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;
3.6.6. is fitted with all the safety equipment recommended, and/or required under South African road traffic legislation, for pedal cycles.
3.7. An e-bike rider may not start or attempt to start the event before his/her designated starting time slot. Any rider who does so will be disqualified with immediate effect.
3.8. E-bike results will be marked as such in the Cycle Tour results and may not be used as seeding for other cycling events.
3.9. Riders using e-bikes will not qualify for any prize in the Cycle Tour.
3.10. The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any e-bike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified.

Some points on equipment highlighted in the rules above:

• 250W rating is on the weak side for an eMTB - the majority of eMTBs probably broke this rule.
  • 25km/h is generally a MTB speed limit. Being a much faster sport, many road specific ebikes are limited much higher.

Many ebikes for sale do not comply with one or both of these requirements. They might need to rethink these technical requirements or look the other way.

In my mind, the 3 hour 50 minute disqualification should keep people mostly in check. Disqualifying and banning those that don't will thin them out quickly.

100% agree with you, I think the more people on bikes the better. My folks ride with someone that uses it to make sure his heart rate does get not higher than what his doctor says it should, but he sits and rides with all his mates on the group ride, does not speed off with the faster group. The people breaking the above rules are going to ruin it for the genuine people that are using the eBike to continue doing what they love. 

3.10 alone would mean 19.6% of the field broke the rules. 

1 minute ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Correct, a social guy or lady riding in the 4th last batch for example at CTCT who manages to go just past a slower rider infront of them at 9km/h up Chappies isn't expecting someone to come flying past them at 25km/h on their right who wasn't there 5secs before when they just past the other rider.

Back in the day doing a second lap, we dont race it and when passing people we make sure that its us that gets out the way etc. Your presence should only improve the day for everyone.

1 hour ago, mtbdave said:

Difference in overtaking speeds on uphills, specifically further back where speed differences increase, adds to accident/danger factor, when they fly past through mini gaps. 

Especially with 800mm wide bars (that don’t serve whiskey)

53 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

On the right???!! 
more like on the left preceded by “out of the way Rider coming through!!”

followed by shake of head 

1 hour ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Add to that the slower riders who stop and get off in the middle of the road to push their bikes up a climb.

With far fewer riders like this year, it would probably not be so bad, but I remember my first year from OA (before seeding events)... it was hectic enough without sub-3 e-bikes flying past.

2 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

The right? Haha

While I was going slow in my 42T up there this year i keptfar left…far enough that I thought no one would squeeze between me and the stone wall. Well I didnt know Senna was still alive and rode the CTCT because ‘the gap existed and went for it’ lol. I hate that because i have been dragged down by someone who clipped my bars before.  

39 minutes ago, MORNE said:

The right? Haha

While I was going slow in my 42T up there this year i keptfar left…far enough that I thought no one would squeeze between me and the stone wall. Well I didnt know Senna was still alive and rode the CTCT because ‘the gap existed and went for it’ lol. I hate that because i have been dragged down by someone who clipped my bars before.  

A few years back I did CTCT with my dad. Whilst suffering up Chappies we hugged the left, knowing we were going very slowly. Still some middle management prick came past us a few times (I think he must have stopped a couple of times because there was no way were passed anyone at our pace) shouting at us to hold our line and keep left. He was no second lapper, I get the feeling he struggled to do one lap, but still found the need to be an a$$

3 hours ago, mtbdave said:

And this is different to the dual lappers zipping past the back markers how ?

4 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Why are people getting so upset with the e-bikers? They're in a different cat altogether. Us non-motorised riders have our own race to worry about. 

i might have missed this whole shebang. but they've put in a new rule to stop the motorpacer ebikers? that makes sense to me.

exhibit A

the guy who "won" the ebike race. He is 65-69, and did a 2:38 starting from 2D

uh mean he just started there, because once the hoopla was done he was burning more rubber than a pimp on payday

image.png.fa7d66bf94fcd5a30d4d8455395eaefe.png

aero is everything. sort of, some cheap watts thrown away and we could have had a sub2. at least the tyres were slick

image.png.7cfe564bdfe3f9d366d88ed81d966c05.png

http://results.racetec.co.za/results_by_event.aspx?RID=11744&EN=Sun 10%2F10%2F2021 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour (E-Bikes - 109km)

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

i might have missed this whole shebang. but they've put in a new rule to stop the motorpacer ebikers? that makes sense to me.

exhibit A

the guy who "won" the ebike race. He is 65-69, and did a 2:38 starting from 2D

uh mean he just started there, because once the hoopla was done he was burning more rubber than a pimp on payday

image.png.fa7d66bf94fcd5a30d4d8455395eaefe.png

aero is everything. sort of, some cheap watts thrown away and we could have had a sub2. at least the tyres were slick

image.png.7cfe564bdfe3f9d366d88ed81d966c05.png

http://results.racetec.co.za/results_by_event.aspx?RID=11744&EN=Sun 10%2F10%2F2021 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour (E-Bikes - 109km)

The least he could have done was take some photos etc! Question still remains, but why?

exhibit B.

once again a smoking ballie, 60-64, he did a 2:48 from 2F

image.png.578ab2e1d8b83901a56ecd3ba7c7f278.png

bit hard to confirm but it looks like he was carrying a spare battery on his toptube

image.png.233d06feb78c0b1ebbe6a272641c12e7.png

but definitely see the ttbars on the handlebar and the spare tyre

image.png.8c7d0ba56102af02978b0faa57988854.png

aero is everything

Just now, Shebeen said:

exhibit B.

once again a smoking ballie, 60-64, he did a 2:48 from 2F

image.png.578ab2e1d8b83901a56ecd3ba7c7f278.png

bit hard to confirm but it looks like he was carrying a spare battery on his toptube

image.png.233d06feb78c0b1ebbe6a272641c12e7.png

but definitely see the ttbars on the handlebar and the spare tyre

image.png.8c7d0ba56102af02978b0faa57988854.png

aero is everything

Incorrect sock length as well.

They are not messing around though, slick tyres!! 

Also, arm warmers in that weather? What was he covering up on his inner arms? Lance pulled this same stunt.

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

just in 

exhibit A from 2020

did a 3:23 from 6F. 

clearly the emtb is quicker than the eroadie

image.png.5ba0bf015a97eb27de3015e1f60ecbbe.png

the okes face. there's a ballie on his motorbike in my slipstream. what next?

That e-biker is taking himself as seriously as the one who slipstreamed me up Chappies one Saturday morning. Then gave me the Lance look nogal over the top of his oakleys when he eventually came by