Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

But seriously, I'm interested in how one takes this data and actually applies it to a real world scenario with all the variables at play like group dynamics, where you were in the group, how much work you did, how many attacks there were, temp, wind etc

First of all, you need to be capable of averaging >36.5km/h for 3 hours. That's the ticket just to be there. Secondly, you need to be able to withstand the surges/attacks and then recover, and do it again while still maintaining that average. If you can't do #1 then whatever you do for #2 won't matter.

You can't plan for the exact conditions on the course, but you can train to see how you perform under similar circumstances. Example: Ride at Tempo (upper half) and Sweet Spot zones for 2 hours (+/- to the start of Chappies), then see how you perform at the same effort required for little Chappies and Chappies proper. It needs to be as hard, or harder, than what you would do in the bunch. It doesn't have to be measured with power, but it's easier to quantify. The winner of the race is the one with the fastest average speed, not the person with the highest power. So you could also time yourself on a climb of similar length/gradient after having done the 2 hour ride at "race pace". If your speed is on par with the data, and you "feel" okay, chances are you can do well. If not, then you need to work on the 9-11 minutes that is required from bottom to top (and it's not all full gas all the way). 

37 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Surely if you are already at the sub3 cusp you have been looking after everything else?

The question at play is what to do to make sure you stay with the sub 3 group if you are unsure.

One is not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater and ONLY do 5 and/or 10 minute efforts.

Being at the sub3 cusp tells me that the rider isn’t looking after everything and that’s why they’re on the cusp 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

...........Whether or not I get a sub 3 I don't really mind. Don't get me wrong I'll never stop regaling anyone who.listens and most of those who would rather not hear about it if I do ... 

😁👍

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

First of all, you need to be capable of averaging >36.5km/h for 3 hours. That's the ticket just to be there. Secondly, you need to be able to withstand the surges/attacks and then recover, and do it again while still maintaining that average. If you can't do #1 then whatever you do for #2 won't matter.

You can't plan for the exact conditions on the course, but you can train to see how you perform under similar circumstances. Example: Ride at Tempo (upper half) and Sweet Spot zones for 2 hours (+/- to the start of Chappies), then see how you perform at the same effort required for little Chappies and Chappies proper. It needs to be as hard, or harder, than what you would do in the bunch. It doesn't have to be measured with power, but it's easier to quantify. The winner of the race is the one with the fastest average speed, not the person with the highest power. So you could also time yourself on a climb of similar length/gradient after having done the 2 hour ride at "race pace". If your speed is on par with the data, and you "feel" okay, chances are you can do well. If not, then you need to work on the 9-11 minutes that is required from bottom to top (and it's not all full gas all the way). 

Ok, I know what it takes to ride a sub3. 

I got there quite comfortably not looking at a single piece of data or even having a bike computer or HR monitor.

I trained, I rode my bikes and I did some racing. 

I guess those who are in the data hub will say 'the data' but that isn't my question. You're answering A question, but not the question I'm asking. 

Anyway, it doesn't matter really. If you enjoy data then rad. I do just fail to see how data from a race group is relevant to a guy in 1D trying to go 2:59 with the group. 

30 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Ok, I know what it takes to ride a sub3. 

I got there quite comfortably not looking at a single piece of data or even having a bike computer or HR monitor.

I trained, I rode my bikes and I did some racing. 

I guess those who are in the data hub will say 'the data' but that isn't my question. You're answering A question, but not the question I'm asking. 

Anyway, it doesn't matter really. If you enjoy data then rad. I do just fail to see how data from a race group is relevant to a guy in 1D trying to go 2:59 with the group. 

#humble

On the data thing, I dont believe in power vibes. But, looking at length of efforts etc makes a big difference when actually riding it. 

When you know that the top of Smits, that its full gas to the park gate, makes a big difference to the top of the hill. Same on M3, when you go under the twirly whirly, you know, only 200m more meters. 

Its easy to lose a wheel or miss a split if dont know this.  Actual numbers maybe I dont find crucial, but knowing when the hammer goes down does help a lot.

21 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

On the data thing, I dont believe in power vibes. But, looking at length of efforts etc makes a big difference when actually riding it. 

When you know that the top of Smits, that its full gas to the park gate, makes a big difference to the top of the hill. Same on M3, when you go under the twirly whirly, you know, only 200m more meters. 

Its easy to lose a wheel or miss a split if dont know this.  Actual numbers maybe I dont find crucial, but knowing when the hammer goes down does help a lot.

Power can make a big difference when training if you’re doing proper structured training. For things like Zwift for instance, they’re imperative to have.

I don’t really see much benefit though when you’re racing or doing group rides. Majority of the time, you’re just sitting in a bunch anyway. And if you’re racing and you’re going up a mountain, I prefer just riding on feel. If someone accelerates and stands on his pedals, I want to do the same and follow that acceleration if I can instead of watching my power meter. Maybe I end up burning my matches earlier this way but it’s sure as hell more fun to ride a bike this way.

It's interesting, definitely not a waste of time, and it calms your nerves I guess.

Last year was my first ctct and I didn't look at all this back then. I knew half of the course from scarborough to the end but that's it, never did the 1st half of the course and was very surprised by how hard Edinburg was (I drove it of course but doesn't feel the same on the bicycle 🤣), on the opposite I was surprised by Smits where I expected a tougher effort. I knew I was probably going to be dropped over chappies or maybe Suikers. And now after analysing I think there is still a big chance the same happens this year 🤣.

Anyways, main thing will be how you feel on the day, I don't believe in "hammer it and you'll be fine" as you don't want to pop after 30k, but know yourself, and if you have to drive a group or at least take turns, try to ride in that 90-110% zone where you push yourself but still try to manage so that you can still go over Suikers. Then it's piece of cake. If you go over Suikers feeling good, that means you didn't go hard enough. If the drag through Hout Bay kills you, then you went too hard 🤣.

Edited by Jbr

4 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Power can make a big difference when training if you’re doing proper structured training. For things like Zwift for instance, they’re imperative to have.

I don’t really see much benefit though when you’re racing or doing group rides. Majority of the time, you’re just sitting in a bunch anyway. And if you’re racing and you’re going up a mountain, I prefer just riding on feel. If someone accelerates and stands on his pedals, I want to do the same and follow that acceleration if I can instead of watching my power meter. Maybe I end up burning my matches earlier this way but it’s sure as hell more fun to ride a bike this way.

For making ones life easier, knowing where the efforts end can make a difference between sitting within the group or forever chasing on as went a little too hard at the start of a climb or was too far back when the group split etc. Like, if you know you just gotta hang your butt onto the group till that final bridge on Chappies, you can turn yourself inside out and hang on, rather than having to chase back down chappies.

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

Nobody asked atleast he told us anyway

I was referring to Frosty telling me what it takes to ride a sub3. If you've built a few bridges and someone starts telling you how to build a few bridges, there is little merit in it. 

1 hour ago, babse said:

#humble

Again, it's in reference to getting AN answer as opposed to really answering my question. 

JBR answered me best. It calmed his nerves and gave him something else to focus on. I get that. Less wasted energy outside of exercise.

That makes sense to me. 

It's a case of mental space more than actual application and cross referencing of data. 

As I said, I'm done. There was nothing snide or derogatory about any of my questions. I'm glad you guys enjoyed putting in your really productive input. 

@Frosty, @Jbrand those who tried to humour me, thank you. I appreciate it. I actually do now really see the benefit in some of the points.

I might even go and have a good proper look at your data! 

35 minutes ago, Jbr said:

It's interesting, definitely not a waste of time, and it calms your nerves I guess.

Last year was my first ctct and I didn't look at all this back then. I knew half of the course from scarborough to the end but that's it, never did the 1st half of the course and was very surprised by how hard Edinburg was (I drove it of course but doesn't feel the same on the bicycle 🤣), on the opposite I was surprised by Smits where I expected a tougher effort. I knew I was probably going to be dropped over chappies or maybe Suikers. And now after analysing I think there is still a big chance the same happens this year 🤣.

Anyways, main thing will be how you feel on the day, I don't believe in "hammer it and you'll be fine" as you don't want to pop after 30k, but know yourself, and if you have to drive a group or at least take turns, try to ride in that 90-110% zone where you push yourself but still try to manage so that you can still go over Suikers. Then it's piece of cake. If you go over Suikers feeling good, that means you didn't go hard enough. If the drag through Hout Bay kills you, then you went too hard 🤣.

I've done the return half before, but that was on fresh legs. So the first half, where we've been warned to spare our legs, will be new territory.