Munga 2021

Koos Likkewaan

Noob question .... When do the sweeper truck swoop in on the last riders ?  Or are they afforded the opportunity to ride to the end for a few more hours ?

Absolute RESPECT to each and everyone that rode the race, despite what the clock might have said ....

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Noob question .... When do the sweeper truck swoop in on the last riders ?  Or are they afforded the opportunity to ride to the end for a few more hours ?

Absolute RESPECT to each and everyone that rode the race, despite what the clock might have said ....

I think it depends how far are they from the finish...if they are close they will finish the course but it will not be official.

40 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

You can finish tomorrow if you want but wont be official. a few have done that to just cover the distance

Only people that have done or attempted knows what it takes just to enter never mind the rest of the journey. All winners finish or not.

Don't think Alex will let you finish too late as he cannot assume responsibility for people being still en route well after the event has finished

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

On another note, it is Mrs Munga's birthday today!

Nicky Booyens, the only person to have completed all the full length riding and running editions of the Munga.

The only person Chuck Norris is really scared of...

11 minutes ago, Ossie NL said:

Don't think Alex will let you finish too late as he cannot assume responsibility for people being still en route well after the event has finished

They dont it is up to you.

As someone that sneaked in 18min before the cutoff for the Munga Grit Cradle I can start to comprehend what mental and physical state you must be in for the last few hours of this, even though its not even close to what they go through. 

Chapeau to every that crossed the start line, winner, finisher, or scratched. You're a ballsy sunnavabitch to get that far. And even if you miss the cutoff, you should still be proud. Making it onto the podium here is an amazing accomplishment, but I have a hell of a lot of respect (maybe even more) for those that cross the line in the final hours. The hardship you have gone through in the last five days, the determination in the face of adversity, is something few people get to truly experience in modern life. I tip my hat to you.

Now, to figure out how to scratch R20k out of my arse for a 2022 entry...

2 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

FB_IMG_1638804283059.jpg.9457c65adf14c03fa19cd6f2f1a19fc3.jpg

That’s the clearest definition of FULL AND FINAL🤣🤣🤣🤣

no charity ribbons🤣🤣

love it, feel for those who worked their asses off (literally) but it’s good to see not everyone hands out ribbons, 

vetty and all the others who came so close but no medal, STILL ALL LEGENDS in everyone’s eyes and minds

inspirational for all of us WANNABEES

CONSIDERING the conditions I think it’s safe to say most would have done well had Mother Nature not thrown a curve ball of gigantic proportions at you all 

10 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

That’s the clearest definition of FULL AND FINAL🤣🤣🤣🤣

no charity ribbons🤣🤣

love it, feel for those who worked their asses off (literally) but it’s good to see not everyone hands out ribbons, 

vetty and all the others who came so close but no medal, STILL ALL LEGENDS in everyone’s eyes and minds

inspirational for all of us WANNABEES

CONSIDERING the conditions I think it’s safe to say most would have done well had Mother Nature not thrown a curve ball of gigantic proportions at you all 

Agreed - also glad to see the 120hrs was held firm. It would devalue the event not too. And in the eyes of all of us who dot watch, everyone gets recognition for their bravery taking part. No bending of rules needed for that accolade - it's a given.

5 minutes ago, walkerr said:

Agreed - also glad to see the 120hrs was held firm. It would devalue the event not too. And in the eyes of all of us who dot watch, everyone gets recognition for their bravery taking part. No bending of rules needed for that accolade - it's a given.

As one who knows he doesnt have 'the right stuff' for an event like this, I agree.  Keep it "the toughest race on earth" and make it inspirational for participants, finishers, winners and watchers.

PS and now that the e-bike 'trial' has been done...so far and no further. They are clearly not in the spirit of an event like this - elsewhere perhaps - and I hope not to see them in The Munga again. Moan off!

On 12/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, milky4130 said:

Oh dear, this can't be good for Gert, hope he gets back on track soon.

image.png.6c642d4e00df42612e892fd0a61ada37.png

that is pretty standard.

gps gets a fix but continuously uploads position as it goes from 5km accuracy  to 5m.

cyclist didn't move a meter during that time.