Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

31 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

But why does it matter who says they can do what?

A few years ago I was at odds with myself, discontent and thought I had a point to prove and it used to annoy me when people would say stuff like 'Just did IronMan' from East London or do the Two Oceans Half and say 'Two Oceans, Always a jol' etc....

I was always like 'how dare these people claim to have done these things! I have done the real things so they must know they didn't do the real things! Outrage, outrage!'

I have subsequently made peace with myself, had a child and realised my fragile ego is pathetic and let go of the fact that how I see events is not how others do. 

For some people running a 10km is WAY more impressive than me doing 13 peaks. Being unable to realize your default setting differs from others and judging their achievements as less than yours because 'It's not what I do' highlights a bigger issue which you seem to be missing.

We are not all equal and being supportive and encouraging of people who are proud as punch of 'menial physical achievements' is how we share the stoke, keep people doing more and keep new blood/families/mothers/granddads etc interested who will then say 'this sport is rad, let's encourage the kids' 

Creating separate catagories and whining like mewling kittens definitely doesn't share the radness.

Make peace with yourselves and you will find all that being passed by some people on pedal assisted bikes enjoying their ride is rad and not anything to be ashamed/alarmed or worried about

You're the only one banging on about egos and being passed by ebikes....whilst insulting people who disagree with you.

Most of the other folk on here seem to think that diluting the spirit of fair competition is the only real problem.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

You're the only one banging on about egos and being passed by ebikes....whilst insulting people who disagree with you.

Most of the other folk on here seem to think that diluting the spirit of fair competition is the only real problem.

They are in a different category?

How does that influence fair competition? They aren't anywhere near the front of the race and by the rules cannot be seeded in a racing group. So they cannot have any real influence on the racing for places, medals and honours.

Mid packers needn't be concerned because the e-bikes are their own category, so if they lose to an e-bike in a sprint for the finish, they still get 6174th. The e-biker will get his/her 178th in cat. 

You're the one belittling the achievements of the dudes wife. 

Anyway, I'm out. I embrace e-bikes at events. I think it's awesome that the organisers can see the merit in inclusion.

there is no diluting the spirit of fair competitions when everyone is in there own group category. 

Ebikers in one group and u23 in another ect. 

Unfair advantage would be those with big pockets racing 7kg bikes against those who can only afford a 15kg department store bike as there are no categories to distinguish the rich form the poor. I think that is a bigger "diluting the spirit of fair competition" than having ebikers in there own category which they already are. 

ok..im trolling now.. time to leave.

I think we forget that yes there is a social place for e-bikes. Enjoy it on the weekend or wherever you want but allowing it in a Cycle Race needs to be re-looked by Event Organizers. If a Time Trial Bike cant be used in a Cycle Race how in heavens name did a Bicycle with a Motor make it on the allow list.

1 hour ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Casue i have more fun on my ebike. Bigger tires.... 180mm suspension .. like a monster truck  .....  I can plough over dropped water bottles and gel wrappers  you racing folk love throwing all over the place. 

so like a boeitjie from boksburg in his bakkie then

9 minutes ago, Ravenhash said:

I think we forget that yes there is a social place for e-bikes. Enjoy it on the weekend or wherever you want but allowing it in a Cycle Race needs to be re-looked by Event Organizers. If a Time Trial Bike cant be used in a Cycle Race how in heavens name did a Bicycle with a Motor make it on the allow list.

well TT bars are bad for your teeth when you're riding in a bunch. ebikes are just as safe as regular bikes.

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

They are in a different category?

How does that influence fair competition? They aren't anywhere near the front of the race and by the rules cannot be seeded in a racing group. So they cannot have any real influence on the racing for places, medals and honours.

Mid packers needn't be concerned because the e-bikes are their own category, so if they lose to an e-bike in a sprint for the finish, they still get 6174th. The e-biker will get his/her 178th in cat. 

You're the one belittling the achievements of the dudes wife. 

Anyway, I'm out. I embrace e-bikes at events. I think it's awesome that the organisers can see the merit in inclusion.

We've already established that if ebikes get their own category and timing their is no problem...

I think you need to read your dictionary again - this is not how you belittle someone's achievements:

That doesn't take anything away from her achievements of course - each person has different goals, genetics, fortitude, money to spend on bikes etc.

Further to the comprehensive rules placing clear limits on ebikes.

It is also worth noting that for the CTCT the results are published as separate events. Maintaining the purity of the time sheets, for those that care for such things.

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

they have their place, as long as the people riding them are honest with themselves and others that they had assistance.

I see far to many perfectly able people riding them.

If they stick with their factory installed speed limiters they should not pose to much of an issue from the middle of the field upwards.

This comment gets my back up a little, you cannot assume that because somebody's outward appearance looks normal that they are "perfectly able".  Many people who appear normal live with big challenges, if an e-bike assists them to be out there, participating and enjoying the moment, I'm happy for them.  Obviously they cannot compete for the Strava Segments/Medals/Prize Money/Bragging Rights/etc. but for many, the ability to participate is a big win.

1 minute ago, Stretched@Birth said:

This comment gets my back up a little, you cannot assume that because somebody's outward appearance looks normal that they are "perfectly able".  Many people who appear normal live with big challenges, if an e-bike assists them to be out there, participating and enjoying the moment, I'm happy for them.  Obviously they cannot compete for the Strava Segments/Medals/Prize Money/Bragging Rights/etc. but for many, the ability to participate is a big win.

If I had to word that in a PC manner it would be a full paragraph. 

But like wise from the opposite end you cannot assume that because somebody's outward appearance looks normal and they are riding an e-bike that they have other challenges.

18 minutes ago, Nick said:

Further to the comprehensive rules placing clear limits on ebikes.

It is also worth noting that for the CTCT the results are published as separate events. Maintaining the purity of the time sheets, for those that care for such things.

Information is Power 🙂 I just learnt a few things!

3. E-Bikes/ Power Assisted Bicycles

3.1. Definition: In this clause the term “e-bike” means a bicycle that has pedals as its primary mode of propulsion and an auxiliary electric motor as a form of power assistance.
3.2. Should a cyclist wish to use a power assisted (PAS) bicycle in the Cape Town Cycle Tour only a bicycle which has electricity as its auxiliary power may be ridden.
3.3. Should a rider wish to partake in the Cycle Tour by using an e-bike, such rider must select the E-bike category when completing the online entry for the Cycle Tour.
3.4. If the rider failed to register in the E-bike category, he/she will not be allowed to partake in the Cycle Tour.
3.5. Any person riding an e-bike on the Cycle Tour that has not formally entered as an E-Bike participant shall be disqualified from this and future Cycle Tours.
3.6. An e-bike may only be used by a rider in the Cycle Tour if such e-bike adheres to ALL of the following requirements:
3.6.1. it weighs less than 30 kg;
3.6.2. it looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion;
3.6.3. the auxiliary electric motor with which it is equipped has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W (or 0.25kW);
3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);
3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;
3.6.6. is fitted with all the safety equipment recommended, and/or required under South African road traffic legislation, for pedal cycles.
3.7. An e-bike rider may not start or attempt to start the event before his/her designated starting time slot. Any rider who does so will be disqualified with immediate effect.
3.8. E-bike results will be marked as such in the Cycle Tour results and may not be used as seeding for other cycling events.
3.9. Riders using e-bikes will not qualify for any prize in the Cycle Tour.
3.10. The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any e-bike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified.

9 minutes ago, ouzo said:

But like wise from the opposite end you cannot assume that because somebody's outward appearance looks normal and they are riding an e-bike that they have other challenges.

9 minutes ago, ouzo said:

isnt it better to not look at appearances and also not to judge

both ways

lets people be