Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

23 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I agree on getting 2 different editions out in 6 months. The team must be wrecked.

I don't see how anyone can predict the strength of the riders on the start line though.

There is always a level of unpredictability as to the shape of who can afford to pay. A level of 'trust' from both parties is the key. The organisers trust you have done the work and the hackers trust the organisers to entertain the racing but also consider them. 

Like I've said, I think the event this year, based on their business/marketing model, was exceptional.

I loved watching the racing, the coverage was top notch and it amazed me that it was free. 

There does look to be enough interest to not change the formula just yet, but I'm sure they have some plans in the pipeline. It's a fine balance entertaining the racing and the hackers on the same course in the same conditions, so hopefully they continue to get that balance mostly right. 

a little bit simplistic but..

- the pro field get this 8 day 700km race course laid out with waterpoints and helicopters following them and they get UCI points

- the amateur field gets to test themselves against the pros and "rub shoulders'" with the elite.

at the moment they both need each other.

the pros aren't going away anytime soon, it's just making sure the pipeline of the next 500 pairs of paying teams doesn't dry up. I don't think making it 'too hard' in one year would do that, but anecdotally i did get a lottery entry 8 minutes after it was open. in the past they had filled the early birds with credit card swipes in 90 seconds. 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to know - from previous 'stompies' I have picked up a lot of people don't even take up their red tented accommodation at all - how subscribed has this been as the couple of guys I know who did this years edition found themselves some comfy brick & mortar digs instead?

11 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

I'm curious to know - from previous 'stompies' I have picked up a lot of people don't even take up their red tented accommodation at all - how subscribed has this been as the couple of guys I know who did this years edition found themselves some comfy brick & mortar digs instead?

No idea but I do recall quite a few empty tents all those years ago, luckily because I grabbed an extra 2 mattresses and had a 'slightly' more comfortable nights rest 😎

13 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

I for one have also wanted to know who the highest placed GC finishers who lived in the tent village was, that should be something worth rewarded unofficially!

don't know if anyone actually monitors it. but pretty sure they plenty of the tents in lourensford never came out of the bag in greyton and more so at coetzenburg.

This years route was quite easy to do at a self-catering self-drive vibe.

plenty of options in somerset west and matieland. greyton not so much as it was 10kms out of town too. wouldn't be surprised if some people only did the tent village there.

there's also the exposure to covid and general goggas in the tent village to avoid if you don't live there

Edited by Shebeen

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

See my factor post was moved…

Disappointing that there were no bike reviews of the Epic bikes, could not dind any on the 4 websites I visit.

Different interest, but always enjoyed those. 

https://esmtb.com/la-canyon-lux-prototipo-que-ya-usan-loana-lecomte-y-andreas-seewald/

https://esmtb.com/bicis-de-los-pro-wilier-urta-slr-de-fabian-rabensteiner-ganadora-de-etapa-en-la-cape-epic/

https://www.brujulabike.com/wilier-triestina-urta-slr-wout-alleman-cape-epic-2022/

The Dakar has the Malle Moto category for those souls that prefer/can only afford to do the event without support. These are the true warriors of the Dakar. I would introduce a similar category in the Epic: service your own bike day in day out without living it up in airconditioned camper vans. Seeing as though many do the Epic in this fashion anyways, why not classify these riders separately/officially? As with the Dakar, if you can afford to participate with team support, you are basically an also-ran in the pro division whereas in the Malle Moto the playing field appears to be more equal. Just a thought. 

Interestingly, the attrition rate in the Dakar is hectic. 

PS, i know we are talking 2 different sports here, but the premise does appear to be quite similar ie. stage racing. 

1 hour ago, gemmerbal said:

The Dakar has the Malle Moto category for those souls that prefer/can only afford to do the event without support. These are the true warriors of the Dakar. I would introduce a similar category in the Epic: service your own bike day in day out without living it up in airconditioned camper vans. Seeing as though many do the Epic in this fashion anyways, why not classify these riders separately/officially? As with the Dakar, if you can afford to participate with team support, you are basically an also-ran in the pro division whereas in the Malle Moto the playing field appears to be more equal. Just a thought. 

Interestingly, the attrition rate in the Dakar is hectic. 

PS, i know we are talking 2 different sports here, but the premise does appear to be quite similar ie. stage racing. 

And at an eye watering 1mil entry fee, plus/minus. Suddenly Epic seems a bargain. 

2 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

And at an eye watering 1mil entry fee, plus/minus. Suddenly Epic seems a bargain. 

Indeed! 😉
Edit: and remember you have to qualify for the Dakar

Edited by gemmerbal

On 4/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, Carmichael said:

What i would like to see they change is getting rid of the cheap porta loo's and getting a few of thise executive trailer loo's. With the money you pay and want to use a lekker loo....

Especially if you have to k@k 30 times in a 40 hrs window!! 🙈

• 1 year later...