Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

1 hour ago, Jacqueswb said:

This screenshot has 4 out of 20 riders beeing top XCO guys. The Epic has never seen plenty XCO riders with the exception of Kulhavy, Scott & Cannondale. Kulhavy could even be considered more of an all rounder having won XCM champs a few times. 

This; well analysed 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm not being critical, but I purposefully used the word 'Competing' and not 'taking part'... There are few teams actually competing. I seem to recall 2 or 3 Bulls teams, 2 Vaude teams, Spez teams, Cannondale, 2 Scott and a host of other teams being protagonists at various stages of the racing in the past. 

So while the front is faster, harder, scooter than ever before, the depth seems thin. 

Like I said, it 'seems' the front of the field is not as rich in options. Maybe that is just the viewing or the broadcasting, but there don't seem to be as many.

Anyway, like I said, it's been fun to watch while I am stuck at home unable to do much.

"thin" is understandable since its relative to budgets....

Still even on tight budgets, teams are making an effort to get here to participate and compete.

It can be argued that it is even more desirable now as it is more unattainable

I am not sure why some members here criticize the epic. My wife and i cant wait to watch each live broadcast on you tube day in, day out. We can be so proud, look at our SA men and ladies keeping up with the best in the world. Regarding pro xc riders, racers, they are fascinating to watch as they normally push red for 2 hours max. Now they need to do it for 4 to 6 hours. I think the routes have been awesome, the footage has been awesome, the commentary is actually fine. I do wish we had more info on the non pro's.

For me the epic is like the dakar, i watch that each year as well. You have drivers with different disciplines and backgrounds, yet, they race the crap out of each other. By the way, talking about Nino and his tyre issues, i saw a clip with what looked like an aspen but flip it seemed as if it had 1 000 kays on, crazy. It looked almost smooth, maybe this is why they have had countless tyre issues?

It would be cool to get an insite on what happens when the pro's finish a stage. Do they go and chow, sleep, chow again, de brief, sleep, wake up at 4am, seeing as they have the whole day at the village compared to the regular joe's who get in before the sun sets.

All in all, its been great so far, cant wait to see the next 2 days.

I get tired just watching the Epic. Nevermind even thinking of riding it.

These Cape Mountains and the heat are a bastard when they come together for a party. I still get fever chills and nightmares when I stand in my backyard looking at Gantow Pass and it is like 35 degrees, memories from my disastrous first day few years go on W2W in that heat coming back to me.

I respect each of you that rode the Epic, now and in the past.

Edited by dev null

Speed company racing…..

hectic so these guys ever stop attacking??!

they’ve broken everybody. Baum showed some fatigue in the last 10km but everyone else has started misfiring. Their self support situation is also keeping them away from stomach bugs. These boys are true Epic. Welcome back to the beginnings 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Speed company racing…..

hectic so these guys ever stop attacking??!

they’ve broken everybody. Baum showed some fatigue in the last 10km but everyone else has started misfiring. Their self support situation is also keeping them away from stomach bugs. These boys are true Epic. Welcome back to the beginnings 

SCR (lekka name) definitely did not let the wrong turn off yesterday influence their racing, although the race for yellow may have been closer.

The local Saffa`s in the Masters, Restonic, leave me in total awe every year.

Would like to see or read an article about a normal day in their lives managing family, work and training. Must be next level commitment from the whole family and probably 4 hours of sleep a day.

16 minutes ago, DJuice said:

SCR (lekka name) definitely did not let the wrong turn off yesterday influence their racing, although the race for yellow may have been closer.

The local Saffa`s in the Masters, Restonic, leave me in total awe every year.

Would like to see or read an article about a normal day in their lives managing family, work and training. Must be next level commitment from the whole family and probably 4 hours of sleep a day.

https://www.news24.com/ride24/skillsandtips/how-two-dads-won-the-cape-epic-despite-having-day-jobs-20220318 

That ST they rode from Jonkers to Coetzenburg; I was not aware of that one. I need to go check that one out. Do any of you know if that trail is new?

Edited by dev null

4 minutes ago, dev null said:

That ST they rode from Jonkers to Coetzenburg; I was not aware of that one. I need to go check that one out.

It's closed to the public apparently.... 

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's closed to the public apparently.... 

So after the Epic, they are just going to let it grow over again? Because I cannot think that any club owns it. I was hoping it was part of the new Cape Winelands Trail Network, of which I have a permit /  board for.

6 minutes ago, dev null said:

So after the Epic, they are just going to let it grow over again? Because I cannot think that any club owns it. I was hoping it was part of the new Cape Winelands Trail Network, of which I have a permit /  board for.

Gerald was going on about it when the leaders rode over it.

I wasn't taking notes but something about private land, Conrad Stoltz and 'specially opened for the Epic'.

So maybe they will open it up, or maybe not. It looks a lot like the very top contour at Firehut. 

But ja, I don't get out to Stellenbosch much to ride anymore but from what I took in, Gerald was very certain it was not public access and none of the teams had ridden it before

Yeah i don't think its accessible any other day... Its always been there tho they have have worked on it before Epic. 

Just wondering it the Pro teams with the names pay the full entrance fee or do they get invited? Appearance fees?

22 hours ago, dev null said:

I get tired just watching the Epic. Nevermind even thinking of riding it.

These Cape Mountains and the heat are a bastard when they come together for a party. I still get fever chills and nightmares when I stand in my backyard looking at Gantow Pass and it is like 35 degrees, memories from my disastrous first day few years go on W2W in that heat coming back to me.

I respect each of you that rode the Epic, now and in the past.

If that was the one where we got evacuated the first night I was there. Was even hotter for the guys who rode earlier in the week.

28 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Just wondering it the Pro teams with the names pay the full entrance fee or do they get invited? Appearance fees?

Wondering that too. I think lots of "celebs" also get paid for aka John Smit etc?