Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

8 hours ago, nathrix said:

..... As long as i don't get a chip on my shoulders while ridding it or getting chirped at or chirping others...

My riding buddy has the new Scott with the shock inside the frame .... 

FIRST day I saw his bike I commented that the space around the BB is not much smaller than a Levo SL .....

HE gets chirped as much as any other ebike rider ..... :whistling: :P

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

My riding buddy has the new Scott with the shock inside the frame .... 

FIRST day I saw his bike I commented that the space around the BB is not much smaller than a Levo SL .....

HE gets chirped as much as any other ebike rider ..... :whistling: :P

The BB area on the aluminium Scott is huge and looks like it has space for luggage...in other words - uuuugly! I can see how it looks like an ebike.

One day, they will have their own events, and we can move on from these threads. 

E bikes are the pits. 

13 hours ago, SwissVan said:

It’s so simple, do this /\

Their start time should be 15 minutes before the normally aspirated riders, this way they can clear the trails of any hidden dangers, mambas, cobras, puffadders, cattle, etc…. and provide motivation for the racing snakes to ride faster / catch them

QED

THIS is exactly what they did at the Stanford Classic ....

It did NOT work. :eek:

By the second water point ALL the ebike riders had been passed by the top racers .... often caught at single track points where the racers lots a few seconds before they could get past.

From the second water point the ride was INTO a stiff head wind !!  A lady on an ebike had a longer water break .... waiting for hubby to get there, so he could ride in her e-slip to the finish .....

Seems ebikes starting some 15 to 30 minutes after the main pack gives the best chance for the racers to get on with their day, with minimal impact from the few flying-e-bikes .....

Edited by ChrisF

I rode the Sani with my friend who had Ebike and he was highly unskilled. He absolutely loved the ride he was a total gentleman where he could be and it was remarkable to see how embracing fellow riders were whether they were on normal Bikes or Ebikes. In fact so many were so supportive and encouraging. there was only one incident on the last day that some person complained on tough down hill with mud that “this is a race” even though this person was probably positioned number 700. (we did over take him lol) The bottom line is you will always find one or two a ss ho les that are difficult but overall the general camaraderie and support for each other is unmatched and unparalleled. I fully support Ebikes. I will admit I do get a tad jealous when they go past me up iconic but I understand this and it’s all fun for the day. Get a life or a Ebike and face facts Ebikes will be 50 % of the field in about two to three years. 

Edited by Emazing

13 minutes ago, Rob22 said:

Why is the assumption that an eBike = no skills? I have a road bike, MTB and EMTB and have been riding for more than 20 years. I don't change skill level when I change bikes (well I hope not)

Exactly! Thank you!

We are now in the final sprint and it seems that some e-bike batteries died and some able bodied riders burned all their matches...now it is a race to the finish...who will it be....😂😂😂

It is Friday after all....😁

I have no gripe with e-bikes in these events. 

I do however agree with the OP to some extent. When you enter an event like Sani2c, take the time to invest in your skill set. You already don't have to spend the same amount of time training as the other riders, so take some time to get your level of skill to a decent level. No one expects you to be Greg Minnaar, but be competent enough to navigate normal mountain bike terrain, like riding over a rock, or riding a switchback. At the end of the day it's not just about the riders being held up behind you, but you're also adding significantly to your own experience and enjoyment of the event. 

26 minutes ago, Rob22 said:

Why is the assumption that an eBike = no skills? I have a road bike, MTB and EMTB and have been riding for more than 20 years. I don't change skill level when I change bikes (well I hope not)

I think it's a reinforcement bias.

If you believe ebikes are a cop-out for hard work and skill then you will interpret your experiences like this:

If I get held up on singletrack by a normal bike, the rider is the problem.

If, however, they are on an ebike, I am no longer able to assign blame to the rider- the bike is wholly to blame.

If I see a rider working on skills on a normal bike; they are new to the sport and should be supported: but if they're on an ebike, I feel the sport is being overrun by usurpers who should rather be on a golf course.

Those who hate ebikes and those who derestrict their ebikes so they can destroy everyone else, suffer the same problem: poor self-esteem and inflated ego that needs a way to enforce their superiority over others.

47 minutes ago, Rob22 said:

Nothing like some facts to stir the Friday discussion ....

My riding buddy on his Scott DROPS me on the downhills !!  (not sure if he is that fast or if it is my sense of self preservation....) 

Get to the Meerendal and Stairway to Heaven .... and those switch backs are too technical for him .... on his NON-e-bike.  Time to take the cones and rope and do some skills training with him ....

14 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Those who hate ebikes and those who derestrict their ebikes so they can destroy everyone else, suffer the same problem: poor self-esteem and inflated ego that needs a way to enforce their superiority over others.

I'm a trifle confused.

Seems E-Bikes are faster uphill's but slower on downhills.

On uphill's the battery helps, on downhills the speed restriction kicks in and the motor switches off.

Surely then the solution is to have all E-Bikes derestricted (chipped) so that they don't cause hold ups on the downhills.

😉😉

***** waits for the mob to start stoning.