I've never raced on an ebike.

Only man vs man like you 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, shaper said:

Not when Pieter says he gets seeded in A&B, which is an ebike in a cycling group. Perhaps his ego is to fragile to declare that he is on an ebike and the organisers dont pick it up? There again, he could just be making it up...

So much anger…

24 minutes ago, shaper said:

Not when Pieter says he gets seeded in A&B, which is an ebike in a cycling group. Perhaps his ego is to fragile to declare that he is on an ebike and the organisers dont pick it up? There again, he could just be making it up...

he stated he rode in that group and Im sure his timing would reflect amongst ebiker finishers ...  not analog finishers. so he would not take up an analog position on the leader board. That's how I understand how the system works..

then again I've never raced a Ebike, but logic would dictate that. 

26 minutes ago, shaper said:

Don’t hate the player boetie. Hate the game…588D47D3-B0C3-4DDB-91F5-0F692D49EC34.jpeg.eac5c6487d6321046a0fe93fcbafe4f1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Don’t hate the player boetie. Hate the game…588D47D3-B0C3-4DDB-91F5-0F692D49EC34.jpeg.eac5c6487d6321046a0fe93fcbafe4f1.jpeg

Lol, something you need to learn, especially when you tell cyclists not to cry when you pass them!

And as each of your posts get more personal i can see you dont heed your own words.... quite funny for one who said goodbye quite a while ago.

You total misunderstanding of the written word is being one of the main protagonist of why this thread continues, and trying to insinuate am angry when you do not know me, and i have discussed nothing more in that ebikes should have their own race day on such events and that there is a valid question by the OP that as more unfit and unskilled bike riders come to such events with ebikes, there is concern for issues to happen.... as can also be seen by your misunderstanding of the colloquial use of the word blast as you pass A group riders up a climb. 

Clearly from that point on if has hit a nerve... so read your own words and heed them!

9 minutes ago, shaper said:

Lol, something you need to learn, especially when you tell cyclists not to cry when you pass them!

And as each of your posts get more personal i can see you dont heed your own words.... quite funny for one who said goodbye quite a while ago.

You total misunderstanding of the written word is being one of the main protagonist of why this thread continues, and trying to insinuate am angry when you do not know me, and i have discussed nothing more in that ebikes should have their own race day on such events and that there is a valid question by the OP that as more unfit and unskilled bike riders come to such events with ebikes, there is concern for issues to happen.... as can also be seen by your misunderstanding of the colloquial use of the word blast as you pass A group riders up a climb. 

Clearly from that point on if has hit a nerve... so read your own words and heed them!

Enjoy your evening, cycle more then you will be less angry.

As someone who has recently got an eBike I have to say that, after reading this post, I can fully understand why the non assisted riders are getting pissed off.

It seems that the majority of us riding eBikes are self entitled and it is all about me,me,me with very little considering to those not on eBikes. At this point we (eBikers) have been allowed by the organisers to partake in their event under very clear guidelines (posted earlier). But then we arrive and want to take over and completely ignore the rules for our participation. 

I have experience totally selfish, aggressive and sometimes dangerous riding from eBikers on W2W.  It really is not on. 

As a reminder, the following is the basis on which eBikes are invited to ride in Sami 2 C, an MTB event (it is not an eBike event) . Why can’t we just abide and not f… it up for all. 

"we encourage the following etiquette

• We encourage ebikers to match their efforts to those of normal bikers around them. Doing this will earn respect from everyone in the group. Riding on Turbo mode and swapping out batteries every 40 kilometres will not win you brownie points or beers at the finish. 

• Ebikers need to keep their position in a group and not constantly move to the front of the group on the climbs, only to be caught on the descents. If ebikers find themselves being caught on descents, they need to stay at the back of the group or stay away on the descents. Not respecting this will result in conflict sooner or later.

• The most admirable ebikers are the ones who nobody notices in a group. Somehow, they manage to ride harmoniously among normal bikers without drawing attention to themselves. If every ebike rider aspired to this, there would be no animosity betweenclassic bikers and ebikers. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Mac said:

As a reminder, the following is the basis on which eBikes are invited to ride in Sami 2 C, an MTB event (it is not an eBike event) . Why can’t we just abide and not f… it up for all. 

"we encourage the following etiquette

• We encourage ebikers to match their efforts to those of normal bikers around them. Doing this will earn respect from everyone in the group. Riding on Turbo mode and swapping out batteries every 40 kilometres will not win you brownie points or beers at the finish. 

• Ebikers need to keep their position in a group and not constantly move to the front of the group on the climbs, only to be caught on the descents. If ebikers find themselves being caught on descents, they need to stay at the back of the group or stay away on the descents. Not respecting this will result in conflict sooner or later.

• The most admirable ebikers are the ones who nobody notices in a group. Somehow, they manage to ride harmoniously among normal bikers without drawing attention to themselves. If every ebike rider aspired to this, there would be no animosity betweenclassic bikers and ebikers. 

Who didn’t “abide” and “f… it up for all”?

11 hours ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Who didn’t “abide” and “f… it up for all”?

The fact that this topic keeps coming up is a clear indication that eBikers are not riding in harmony with MTB at their events. 

I have experienced it first hand.

Edited by Mike Mac

Yikes 10 pages, ebikes are the new "riding with kids" or similar. As a somewhat old codger (rode sani when it was in February; needed an ebike then) and never ridden in a mass ride with my ebike I have only two comments.

Sani. Farmer Glen is a businessman and a tough one. If ebikes help him pack the field he'll take them BUT he will do his best to make sure everyone has the best ride possible. So let him know as regards suggestions. He might even adopt some.

ebikes. My sense is that the mtb demographic is older, maybe 40+(getting older, maybe more disposable income and less time to train) and ebikes are, I think, the biggest growing segment of bicycling? (they are addictive). These contraptions are here to stay methinks. Best get used to them.

Gezundheit.

I now also want a helpmytrap after reading all the comments, one that's chipped with a lekker Öhlins suspension...only thing still short will be abs and downhill assist, but I'm sure that's in the pipeline. As long as i don't get a chip on my shoulders while ridding it or getting chirped at or chirping others...

I do agree though that  classic bikes and ebikes should not be mixed up in any race (just social rides with friends or loved ones 😉) and they must be totally separated from each other.

You will always get arrogant tjops that will spoil it for others, not just in cycling. Can also implement interesting rules/categories, that's now if organizers are able to enforce them rules, e.g. restricted or unrestricted ebikes or one battery per a certain distance only versus as many as you like, etc.

The possibilities are endless. Ebikes are definately the feature, but with every change or anything new on the market and attracting new 'consumers' there will always be a difference of opinion to some extend. I'm all for more people on whatever bikes they can afford or want to ride, more voices to be heard to promote cycling and hopefully getting more safe cycling paths for those who want to commute.

Easy solution seed the riders...and not this honest seeding. We all know that everybody wants to start at the front and with honest seeding there will be trouble e-bike or not. The absence of proper seeding and start batches seems like it was a problem at the Sani.

Fix the seeding system and have a racing e-bike category based on time and then let them start just after the Pro's or after the A Batch. As for the rest of the e-bikes do have a separate start time after the last batch about 30 minutes.

This is not foolproof as you will get some chops riding like idiots (not limited to e-bikes), but it will eliminate most of the issues. If you catch a e-bike in the racing category later just carry because somewhere the seeding system failed.

14 hours ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

You still racing man to man ..... ebikes are in a different categories so don't get classified with standard bikes. 

So its man vs man and ebike vs ebike 

so you're saying an ebike rider is not a man...?

18 hours ago, Owen said:

I support whoever feels that they no longer have the ability to pedal a conventional bicycle and purchase a e-bike. Good on you. You still trying to get out and ride.

What I have an issue with is guys deliberately taking along an extra battery, so they can ride on max boost during an event. There were guys who swopped out batteries at a water point. The batteries were transported to the water table. I no problem with carrying your extra battery on your bike, but don't come with this nonsense of racing your e-bike on max output, only to swop out a battery.

Many e-bike riders manage to complete each day of Sani2C on one battery charge. I respect these guys. The others can go ...................

My uncle (late 60’s) completed his 10th Sani this year. Last two have been on an ebike due to a massive heart attack two years ago impacting. He hasn’t finished a day with less than 50% charge remaining on his battery and is rightly proud of that.