Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

3 minutes ago, Kwagga van Zyl said:

I still think they must come ride and enjoy the event but not in between normal mtb … own start batch far from me please 

The eBikes will eventually catch you on hill and pass you. 

What I would love to see is mass start ..but then ebikers peel of on a more challenging route ... bigger climbs ... more rocks and roots and janky as **** downhills ... then join again towards the finish ... 

That would be living the dream. 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mtree said:

On the EBike batch debate, the only way is to start them in front of the normal bikers...
(This is bound to hurt some peoples ego though ;) ).
30/60 min behind means nothing if turbo mode is applied.

Or , don't allow battery swaps (or rucksacks with batteries)  ... that way they are forced to conserve battery and ride in the lowest possible setting ...  I kind of like that idea ... it then becomes a race within a race ... not only  to finish .... but manage your energy and battery for the distance .

6 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

What I would love to see is mass start ..but then ebikers peel of on a more challenging route ... bigger climbs ... more rocks and roots and janky as **** downhills ... then join again towards the finish ... 

Then Kwagga and Eldron and the other "normal" riders will cry because they also want to do the more difficult route...

3 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Or , don't allow battery swaps (or rucksacks with batteries)  ... that way they are forced to conserve battery and ride in the lowest possible setting ...  I kind of like that idea ... it then becomes a race within a race ... not only  to finish .... but manage your energy and battery for the distance .

.... or just ride a normal bike like the rest of us or go ride Ebike events. Having Ebikes in a bicycle race is the same as inviting ants to the picnic.

4 minutes ago, _David_ said:

.... or just ride a normal bike like the rest of us or go ride Ebike events. Having Ebikes in a bicycle race is the same as inviting ants to the picnic.

I am sorry David.

2 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Ebikes are racing other ebikes at Sani ... they in there own category ...

They should be racing on their own dates, a week before or a week after.  ebikes just against ebikes and not mixed in.  Then they are in their own category

27 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

You are 100% right. That would be awesome and goes back to my  comment on the fred about the rogue eBike on Sani. eBikes are generally trail/enduro bikes that have a motor and grippy DH style tyres. Most were never intended to be ridden on marathon events.

The EWS E series is the world enduro series for eBikes and they have power stages which are steep tech uphills no normal bike could get up. A marathon stage event with this kind of terrain makes far more sense for full power eBikes rather than lumping them with normal marathon style bikes. 

The problem however, is not really the eBike itself, but the riders attitude and that goes for all cyclists many of whom no idea of trail etiquette despite their experience on a bike.

Just now, Eldron said:

UCI insists on different events. Ebikes are not legal in non motorised events.

You will eventually get your dream ... but right now the market is to small to have separate events ... eventually there will be and you and ebikers will both be happy. 

Just now, DuncanDoughnuts said:

You will eventually get your dream ... but right now the market is to small to have separate events ... eventually there will be and you and ebikers will both be happy. 

Eldron will never be happy...

2 hours ago, _David_ said:

Keep them separate let the motorbikes have their own event.

In the not too distant future, eBiker will have their own events.

I would also suggest that soon it will be the non-assited riders wanting to ride the ebike events because ebikes will be in the majority and organisers will change the focus of event to the e-Bikes. And die hard non-assisted riders won't have many events to choose from 😉🙂