Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

34 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Then they shouldn't push normal riders off their lines going uphill and 'wait' in line like the rest.

I agree on that. But that applies to most riders. Wait your turn. There will always be bottlenecks. If you on singltrack you stay in line. 
if you on jeep  track/ gravel roads and there is space to pass then sure.

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts
Spell check

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, not a new problem saw this on the Sani2C website:

"we encourage the following etiquette:

• No drafting of a normal bike behind an ebike is permitted. 

• Ebikers must understand and respect that classic bike riders are under pressure at times. Incessant chirping—however jocular—from ebikers when others are struggling can result in unnecessary hostility. 

• We encourage ebikers to match their efforts to those of normal bikers around them. Doing this will earn respect from everyone in the group. Riding on Turbo mode and swapping out batteries every 40 kilometres will not win you brownie points or beers at the finish. 

• Ebikers need to keep their position in a group and not constantly move to the front of the group on the climbs, only to be caught on the descents. If ebikers find themselves being caught on descents, they need to stay at the back of the group or stay away on the descents. Not respecting this will result in conflict sooner or later.

• The most admirable ebikers are the ones who nobody notices in a group. Somehow, they manage to ride harmoniously among normal bikers without drawing attention to themselves. If every ebike rider aspired to this, there would be no animosity between classic bikers and ebikers. 

• Bells on ebikes should only be used to stir cattle and horses from the trail. They should never be used to alert classic riders to the fact that ebikers are in Turbo mode and want to pass.

• Teams fully comprising ebikers or including ebikers will not qualify for the overall prize or a place on the podium. Separate results will be allocated for the ebike category'.
Edited by _David_

I still don't understand ebikes. If you want to ride a bike then ride a bike - what is the point of taking on a challenging thing then making it easier by using a motor?

For people that have medical problems sure - makes complete sense but the Sani2c is one of the easiest stage races on the calendar. There really is no need for an ebike for anyone who has a reasonable level of fitness.

This "I want the experience but couldn't be bothered to train or sweat a little on the uphills" attitude just smacks of laziness.

Edited by Eldron

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

" but the Sani2c is one of the easiest stage races on the calendar. There really is no need for an ebike"

Speak for yourself mate, I bled out of my eyes a few times during that race

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Just now, StevieG said:

Speak for yourself mate, I bled out of my eyes a few times during that race

A few times the whole race is a just enough to give you that awesome sense of accomplishment at the end though right? Maybe I am just a little too old school for ebikes but I'd much rather suffer a little and finish than hit the boost button and let the motor finish for me.

So many ebikes i swear some days ebikers out number normal bikes at the local trails.

it wont be long before most people are on ebikes .

If the ebike market is growing as fast as we are all led to believe, i dont see the point of having an event that has both ebike or normal bikes.

Sure ebike only events are starting to make more sense?

Sani2C E? Cape Epic E? etc

3 hours ago, Kwagga van Zyl said:

I did my 2de sani2c this year . 
for the first time I was really worried by the ebikes riding in-between the real riders . I found them mostly unfit to do the ride but their skills level was far below what was needed to ride the event . They ride up the hills and you must make way and then stop at the top to rest and bock the trails up on the single track . We then work hard to pas and we repeat the hole thing at the next hill . 15 Times a day  … every time it is a risk for some one to fall and really irritating .
can race organisers not start them 30 min before any of the real MTB  riders ? It is a bicycle race and not electric bike race or can we enter with a 125 cc petrol bike next year ? 

I do believe the is a place for ebikes but dont think they deserve the same medal or the recognition for riding up iconic on a ebike like we did under our own power …

What is your experience in this regard  

Not this again 🤨

21 minutes ago, Eldron said:

I still don't understand ebikes. If you want to ride a bike then ride a bike - what is the point of taking on a challenging thing then making it easier by using a motor?

For people that have medical problems sure - makes complete sense but the Sani2c is one of the easiest stage races on the calendar. There really is no need for an ebike for anyone who has a reasonable level of fitness.

This "I want the experience but couldn't be bothered to train or sweat a little on the uphills" attitude just smacks of laziness.

totally agreed. Was out on the local trails again this past weekend and the number of e-bikes is astounding. Not old toppies or fat unfit guys riding them, but young healthy looking guys.

I also don't get the point.

55 minutes ago, throttles said:

And if you get hurt because someone couldn't control their ebike?

what is this cant control an ebike? what is your experience on an ebike? this agrument is boring and old

again people who have zero experience on ebike knocking ebikes

1 minute ago, MTBeer said:

totally agreed. Was out on the local trails again this past weekend and the number of e-bikes is astounding. Not old toppies or fat unfit guys riding them, but young healthy looking guys.

I also don't get the point.

then dont get one

I remember when it was just Roadies vs MTBers the Dark side vs Light Side.

Now it is as follows:

MTBers vs Roadies

MTBers vs Gravel Bikers

MTBers vs E Bikers.

May your own inference.

p.s. I dont like e bikes either, I have owned one, but see the appeal in certain cases.