Ebike on sani2c

Kwagga van Zyl

28 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

So many ebikes i swear some days ebikers out number normal bikes at the local trails.

it wont be long before most people are on ebikes .

If the ebike market is growing as fast as we are all led to believe, i dont see the point of having an event that has both ebike or normal bikes.

Sure ebike only events are starting to make more sense?

Sani2C E? Cape Epic E? etc

Agreed, I see there is a UCI E-Mountain Bike Cross-country World Cup this year. The motorbikes should have their own events or they should start the race in their own batch.

Edited by _David_

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Agreed, I see there is a UCI E-Mountain Bike Cross-country World Cup this year. The motorbikes should have their own events.

AND you can charge them DOUBLE! because... Well have you seen the price of batteries..

Again make your own inference. 

3 hours ago, Kwagga van Zyl said:

I did my 2de sani2c this year . 
for the first time I was really worried by the ebikes riding in-between the real riders . I found them mostly unfit to do the ride but their skills level was far below what was needed to ride the event . They ride up the hills and you must make way and then stop at the top to rest and bock the trails up on the single track . We then work hard to pas and we repeat the hole thing at the next hill . 15 Times a day  … every time it is a risk for some one to fall and really irritating .
can race organisers not start them 30 min before any of the real MTB  riders ? It is a bicycle race and not electric bike race or can we enter with a 125 cc petrol bike next year ? 

I do believe the is a place for ebikes but dont think they deserve the same medal or the recognition for riding up iconic on a ebike like we did under our own power …

What is your experience in this regard  

I think it should be easy enough to look at e-bike and non assisted bikes and decide if there is a distinct difference in time and then just arrange a separate start batch around that to make sure there is little to no interaction. It is not a complex exercise to do.

Regarding your 125cc comment. I rode Lead bike for the mtn nationals and trail seekers back in the day. Trust me there are places where the mtb's will take chunks of time out of you on a motorbike. They used to mark points on the gps track to warn me to build a gap as most of the time that was the first time I rode the trails/navigated them as well. Technical downhills and tight twisty sections the top elite mtb riders are moer fast. That being said go ride a hard enduro, you will realise mtb races like Sani are tough but not in that league of physicality or skill required. Anyone with a good year of training can do epic. Not many will finish full roof on a year of training.

36 minutes ago, Eldron said:

I still don't understand ebikes. If you want to ride a bike then ride a bike - what is the point of taking on a challenging thing then making it easier by using a motor?

For people that have medical problems sure - makes complete sense but the Sani2c is one of the easiest stage races on the calendar. There really is no need for an ebike for anyone who has a reasonable level of fitness.

This "I want the experience but couldn't be bothered to train or sweat a little on the uphills" attitude just smacks of laziness.

I was at the peak of my fitness literally 9 weeks ago, Covid and a month of stomach bug and 2 courses of antibiotics. I tried to race an easy 120km AR on the weekend and we still managed a podium but I tell you now for Amohela next week, if I had an e-bike I would ride it.

This how I view the debate of guys charging to the front and then get caught on descents.

This is not new and not limited to e-bikes. I remember a few races where I had to stop because of a "technical section" meaning it is ok to ride with a skill set but some riders prefer to walk. While waiting for the line to move some guys force their way to the front in order not to wait. After a few km's you pass them again.

The same ignorance from riders who does not want to wait in the single track shouting track but there is no space to move for them to pass and then a few seconds later they pass you with no regard of safety.

We have just found new guys to blame, but nothing did actually change.

42 minutes ago, Eldron said:

I still don't understand ebikes.

I dont understand your hatred to them. 

Let people be and stop judging everyone. 

Next you going to go on about someone using a TV remote or garage door opener cause they to lazy to get up and manually change the channel? 

Not everyone aspires to get the best FTP numbers, or PB's  

I gave up caring what other people do when 29ers came out ... That was cheating ... 

Hurt feelings everywhere!

I started in A Batch on Day 1, B Batch Day 2 and finished A Batch on day 3 on my ebike. And 'n was on an SL, not even a full fat ebike.

If I overtook you on a climb, I am sorry that I hurt your feelings, but that also would've been the last time that you would've seen me. No Normal bike caught me on any single track.

No injuries were caused by any ebikes.

Stop crying.

Hurt feelings everywhere!

I started in A Batch on Day 1, B Batch Day 2 and finished A Batch on day 3 on my ebike. And 'n was on an SL, not even a full fat ebike.

If I overtook you on a climb, I am sorry that I hurt your feelings, but that also would've been the last time that you would've seen me. No Normal bike caught me on any single track.

No injuries were caused by any ebikes.

Stop crying.

3 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I gave up caring what other people do when 29ers came out ... That was cheating ... 

29ers were/are cheating?
Not an argument I've ever seen before...

24 minutes ago, herrowpreeze said:

what is this cant control an ebike? what is your experience on an ebike? this agrument is boring and old

again people who have zero experience on ebike knocking ebikes

Firstly.. Learn how to Multi Quote or are you too old?

Maybe you took a blue pill instead of a chill pill this am..

Seems you have a hard on for ebikes..

have a read here..

Just now, Mtree said:

29ers were/are cheating?
Not an argument I've ever seen before...

They were when everyone else was still on 26ers ... and they were fighting for the same podium. 

and they are faster on open ground. 

8 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I dont understand your hatred to them. 

Let people be and stop judging everyone. 

Next you going to go on about someone using a TV remote or garage door opener cause they to lazy to get up and manually change the channel? 

Not everyone aspires to get the best FTP numbers, or PB's  

Extreme debates are my favourite form of debate. I see your garage remote hypothesis and counter with: Why ride at all when you can just play MTBRider2000 on your XBOX?

Ironically riding a 29er WAS cheating for a while until the UCI approved them.

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Extreme debates are my favourite form of debate. I see your garage remote hypothesis and counter with: Why ride at all when you can just play MTBRider2000 on your XBOX?

UCI has now approved ebikes ;)

5 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Maybe I do both ... Play my Xbox in the week and my ebike on the weekends .. have to at least try an do all the tricks I can do in the verse 

... Not really a gamer ... only game I every downloaded was Command and Conquer but my computer was to slow to play it so gave up

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

5 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Don't tease please. I googled and cannot find this MTBRider2000 for XBOX.