[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Ok ill start off with the weather.

Im on a streak, if I enter…it will rain 100%

ill take offers not to enter, pm me and ill send banking details.😊

Sure my record is better than yours ..... 😋

I entered once, and it was theeeeee wettest ride ever in the events history.

I will do my bit for drought relieve in the Western Cape

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, ouzo said:

Add in traveling and accommodation costs to us upcountry folks

Surely a 15.4% increase to the cheapest expense of your race experience isn't a big deal?

For locals the entry is the most expensive item, so relatively speaking it hits harder...
🤔

13 hours ago, ouzo said:

I enjoyed the wet this year. Was my first wet one. 
It does however mean I won’t try for a pb on the day

I missed my PB by mere seconds, but yeah my goal was simply not dying...

Going for my 5th finish next year, after I had stomach issues on race day this year. Was tough to watch my father-in-law and pregnant wife ride off in the morning, but wasn't too sad when it started pouring.

Everything is more expensive currently, so expecting the cycle tour entries to stay the same is delusional at best.

The early bird entries vs later vs late entries is interesting though, I see a lot of races doing this nowadays, so it is interesting to see CTCT following suit

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Surely a 15.4% increase to the cheapest expense of your race experience isn't a big deal?

For locals the entry is the most expensive item, so relatively speaking it hits harder...
🤔

when you income has plummeted over the 23 year since you first did the ride than any increase is an issue.

But this is one race on the calendar that is not just penciled in, it is written with permanent marker. So plans will be made.

17 hours ago, ChrisF said:

PRICE .... City should hang their head in shame .... R100 added to the R650 of the previous .... nobody but the CITY officials saw that increase in salary.

17 hours ago, ouzo said:

but that does not mean I need to be happy with the entry fee.

every year, people moan about the price of the entry fee.

even when they didn't increase it, people still vented.

IT'S A CHARITY EVENT

I know I've selected two people here, not pointing fingers directly but just the first two to moan. It really is a boring line. Your agrument is dogpoo, rather vote with your wallet if it's too much of a burden.  

Just now, 'Dale said:

I am dreaming of doing this on a tandem with my son as soon as he is 12 or something, when allowed.🥰

the year they turn 11. I now instantly realise I have the issue to decide if i need another bike before entering today

9 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

I am dreaming of doing this on a tandem with my son as soon as he is 12 or something, when allowed.🥰

my eldest is simply not interested, but my youngest will probably be keen. I've got 4 years to a possible tandem purchase.

Glad I read this thread as the PPA email was in my Spam folder. Looking forward to number 14.

Edited by Starchboy

27 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

IT'S A CHARITY EVENT

It's not a charity event.
It's a cycling event.
My money purchases my participation in a cycling event.
What the organisers decide to do with the profit is entirely their decision.
If how they use their profits influences your decision to enter or not then that is entirely your decision.

You can get your hair cut at the lady that really needs the money or at the hairdresser that gives you the best price, or the hair dresser that gives you the best cut. All three are reasonable decisions, but you would be buying a haircut. I'm buying a cycling event entry, not contributing to a charity.

/rant

PPA, the nine-Tour-plus, and Early Bird entries will cost R755. January Dash entries are priced at R950, while late entries and international entries will cost R1495.

They are definitely trying to encourage people to enter early...

T minus 2h10m before madly smashing the refresh button

I'll wait until a few weeks before the event to see if someone is selling their entry ... 

Don't want to have anyone poking me with a swab to take part in a race or anything else ... never know, they might make monkeypox a "thing" ... 😉 ... and make testing or "something" else a prerequisite .. 😁

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

every year, people moan about the price of the entry fee.

even when they didn't increase it, people still vented.

IT'S A CHARITY EVENT

I know I've selected two people here, not pointing fingers directly but just the first two to moan. It really is a boring line. Your agrument is dogpoo, rather vote with your wallet if it's too much of a burden.  

"Charity" is no excuse for going from R650 to R750.  Even less so for going from R650 for a last minute entry to R 1495.  This FAR from a realistic increase !!

Hulle ruk die hoender !!

And still I will most likely enter in December at the R750, as it is a nice route.

Charity on its own ... I do various events during the year that support local charities.  So that argument only goes so far ....

47 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

It's not a charity event.
It's a cycling event.
My money purchases my participation in a cycling event.
What the organisers decide to do with the profit is entirely their decision.
If how they use their profits influences your decision to enter or not then that is entirely your decision.

You can get your hair cut at the lady that really needs the money or at the hairdresser that gives you the best price, or the hair dresser that gives you the best cut. All three are reasonable decisions, but you would be buying a haircut. I'm buying a cycling event entry, not contributing to a charity.

/rant

You are uninformed, it most definitely is a charity event. It has a lot of time and items donated for it, without which it would cost a whole lot more. While some people see it as a for-profit road race and expect to be treated with honour for taking the time to ride it, they probably sprint for 212th place in batchK.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour (CTCT) injects some R500 million into the Western Cape economy every year, but even more significant is the millions it raises for welfare and the impact this has on those in need, both regionally and beyond. The charitable surplus generated through the CTCT goes to its two beneficiaries, the Pedal Power Association (PPA) and Rotary Club of Claremont, which are equal stakeholders in the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, the organisers of the annual event. Thanks to those who participate in this iconic event, Rotary and the PPA share around R9 million of the proceeds between them annually.

Both entities have walked a long and illustrious journey with the largest timed cycle race in the world – the Rotary Club of Claremont is celebrating 34 years of being involved, while the PPA in its original incarnation organised the Big Ride-In 1978, which later morphed into what is today the Cape Town Cycle Tour.

“Rotarians and their affiliates make up the majority of the volunteers on the day,” says Ian Robertson, President of The Rotary Club of Claremont and Board Member of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, explaining how Rotary works closely with the CTCT organisers to share in the mammoth task of making sure that the now 35 000 cyclists make it safely across the finish line.

“Clubs such as The Rotary Club of Newlands work very closely with the organisers to assist with the logistics around the different sectors, including marshals, refreshment stations and sweeps. The Rotary Club of Bellville manages the finish line area. The Rotary Club of Swellendam drive all the way to Cape Town to support with marshalling for the day,” adds Robertson.

“100% of the funds are invested into community projects and initiatives, and can all be accounted for,” says Robertson.

“A key area of focus for us at the Rotary Club of Claremont is investing in Early Childhood Development (ECD) projects. We believe in making a meaningful impact in the lives of our youngsters: in turn, they can make a positive contribution to those around them and in the long term help build the economy of our country,” says Robertson.

“Even though we are one of the larger Clubs in the District, we don’t have the infrastructure and manpower to fully address all the community’s needs. It is, therefore, important for us to work closely with the other clubs; they know what the priorities are in their respective areas. In doing so, we are able to have a much further reach of the money invested into the community,” adds Robertson.

Other projects Rotary Claremont are involved in include ‘Training for Teachers’ in Swakopmund, Namibia; the Included Food Garden Project, an initiative driven by the Rotary Club of Sea Point.

The PPA in turn uses its share of funding received from the CTCT to fund cycling-related projects. This year, PPA has been using funds received from the CTCT to assist, amongst others, some twelve cycling development initiatives; several mountain biking trail-building initiatives; projects aimed at utility cycling as well as cycle racing; and, projects that assist disabled cyclists. “In addition, PPA will be spending over R3 million on cycling development and safe cycling initiatives,” says PPA CEO, Robert Vogel. “The development of cycling and creating a culture of cycling starts at the grassroots; the bottom of the cycling pyramid,” Vogel explained. “We are busy brainstorming a joint strategy for PPA, BEN and Qhubeka to collaborate in the Western Cape. Our visions align in wanting to get as many people as possible riding bicycles,” he added.

According to Vogel, by combining expertise and efforts in the Western Cape, PPA, BEN & Qhubeka will create a greater impact and be able to reach more people and put more people on bicycles. “From PPA’s side, this is achieved through profits received from the Cape Town Cycle Tour,” he says.

52 minutes ago, HdB said:

They are definitely trying to encourage people to enter early...

T minus 2h10m before madly smashing the refresh button

^^^ THIS ^^^

There seems to be a new trend in 2022 that people count down to the final cutoff time ... only then make the call if they will enter.  This causes significant issues with planning any event.  We certainly do see this at the MTB events this year.

The current trend with MTB events is about a 10 to 15% premium for late entries, AND no goodie bag if you enter in the last week or two.  But this was the norm for these events long before covid.