Beware Bikemarket.co.za: Selling Bikes with Plugs as Permanent

me100

10 hours ago, steve-h said:

The purpose was to make people aware (beware) of 2 practices:

1. Plugs in tyres seen as permanent by EVERY SINGLE PERSON RIDING TUBELESS FOR MORE THAN A YEAR 
  2. The not sharing (hiding) information that a tyre has a plug when buying online with Bikemarket

Those are the facts. It is important that the public know about these facts so they can make more informed decisions.

The opinions are: thinking that a plug is permanent or not and whether a refurbished bike should be sold with plugs in. Whether lack of use or flat tyre issues are my fault. Berating and slandering me for saying it is "well known in the community". How to fix the tyre.

Thanks to everyone who has replied - bikehub is quite hectik.

I am on my own now and will sort out this tyre.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, steve-h said:

1. Plugs in tyres seen as permanent by Bikemarket
  2. The not sharing (hiding) information that a tyre has a plug when buying online with Bikemarket

Those are the facts. It is important that the public know about these facts so they can make more informed decisions.

The opinions are: thinking that a plug is permanent or not and whether a refurbished bike should be sold with plugs in. Whether lack of use or flat tyre issues are my fault. Berating and slandering me for saying it is "well known in the community". How to fix the tyre.

A cracked frame that has been repaired-declare/disclaim/draw attention 

A tyre with a plug-no action required on the sellers behalf

You are being berated because of your arrogance, and yet you continue with your hard headedness, insisting you have been wronged 

Edited by sirmoun10goat

37 minutes ago, steve-h said:

The valve leak looks to have started after the plug issue - after pressure dropped.

I fail to see the issue with the plug. From your own pic the plug is dry so no leak. And no it is not dry due to lack of or no sealent as your other pic shows sealent leaking from the valve.

22 minutes ago, steve-h said:

Are you seriously this dense?  Have you not absorbed a single piece of knowledge from people who actually know what they are talking about and who have shared this with you for free?

1. YOU ARE WRONG - a plug is commonly considered by all REAL cyclists as a perfectly acceptable permanent fix, and is universally accepted as a non-issue

2. YOU ARE WRONG - there was no hiding of the plug because it is a non-issue - refer 1 above.

THOSE are the facts.  You were berated because you acted like an self entitled, arrogant, ignorant pillock.  Seems your capacity for learning is non-existent.  Grow up son.

Anyone else notice the excess old sludge build up on the tyres and rim? 

BM could have at least cleaned that off before putting them back onto the rims. Sies man

Screenshot_20220926_205247.jpg.e0d00b75c23d3d2c750c571d27fa12a5.jpg

Righty-o then, look, a defroster 🔭

1 hour ago, steve-h said:

The valve leak looks to have started after the plug issue - after pressure dropped.

I'm not sure how much you know about fixing bikes, so apologies if this sounds simplistic.

Tubeless tires are awesome, but they are not hassle free.

I'm assuming the bike was shipped with tyres seated and hopefully filled with some sealant. They either arrived with pressure or you pumped it up and rode without issues at first. You didn't say how many hours/km you went before the tyre started leaking, but it does sound long enough for the seller not to be liable anymore.

It's unlikely that the plug is the problem, but I think you got the opinion on that one already. If you inflated it, and saw air bubbles from the plug using soapy water or by putting in bath/pool, then check if sealant needs topping up and then let it seal.

Slow leaking tyres are a pain in the butt, it looks like the issue is the valve. My guess is either the valve is not tight or the rim strip has come loose somewhere. 

If none of this makes sense to you then either get on YouTube or find a friendly bike shop. Or you can eat some humble pie and ask for help here.

1 hour ago, steve-h said:

I think your only real solution here is to only buy new bikes, with new tyres, and newly fitted tubeless tape, valves and sealant.

10 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I'm not sure how much you know about fixing bikes, so apologies if this sounds simplistic.

Tubeless tires are awesome, but they are not hassle free.

I'm assuming the bike was shipped with tyres seated and hopefully filled with some sealant. They either arrived with pressure or you pumped it up and rode without issues at first. You didn't say how many hours/km you went before the tyre started leaking, but it does sound long enough for the seller not to be liable anymore.

It's unlikely that the plug is the problem, but I think you got the opinion on that one already. If you inflated it, and saw air bubbles from the plug using soapy water or by putting in bath/pool, then check if sealant needs topping up and then let it seal.

Slow leaking tyres are a pain in the butt, it looks like the issue is the valve. My guess is either the valve is not tight or the rim strip has come loose somewhere. 

If none of this makes sense to you then either get on YouTube or find a friendly bike shop. Or you can eat some humble pie and ask for help here.

Wait till he realizes some tyres leak air through the sidewall!!!! Will start taking on the tyre manufacturers.......

@steve-h i will make it short and sweet.

If you are in the Centurion area bring your bike to me i will re do your tubeless sort you with new valves/ tape and Stan's (Free).

lets get you back on the bike and enjoying your new ride.

let me know where you are and maybe @RobertWhiteheadwould be willing if you are out his side and send me the bill. 

12 hours ago, steve-h said:

It be that what you are stating is false, and it is not "well known in the community"