The Economist - current events

The GaryVee experience - business

The real science of sport - scientific/fact based discussion about sport

The Social-engeneering podcast 

TCSA (true crimes SA) - crimes in SA

• 1 year later...

Every South African should listen to this:

Des Latham History of South Africa.

its on Spotify, Apple and i'm sure others.

i knew more about other countries histories and struggled to find anything decent about South Africa. 

This is an unbiased look at the entire picture that is Southern Africa right from how the minerals ended up in RSA, colonisation, tribes, treks etc.

Highly recommend it

2 hours ago, Furbz said:

Every South African should listen to this:

Des Latham History of South Africa.

its on Spotify, Apple and i'm sure others.

i knew more about other countries histories and struggled to find anything decent about South Africa. 

This is an unbiased look at the entire picture that is Southern Africa right from how the minerals ended up in RSA, colonisation, tribes, treks etc.

Highly recommend it

Will give it a spin. Thanks

If you really like history stuff, this is the magnum opus. Deep dive.

A lot behind paywall now, but these ones are free to get you hooked

https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/dan-carlin-s-hardcore-history/2569

• 6 months later...

Two very good podcasts released this week, one featuring “our” resident WT coach.

One common message/theme was recovery and a test to see if you’re fatigued or not.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000659500794

In this episode, we sit down with John Wakefield, the managing director of Science to Sport and performance coach with the Bora-hansgrohe World Tour cycling team. John, from Cape Town, South Africa, shares his insights from years of coaching and an advanced training facility in Girona, Spain. Understand why recovery is the key to progression and how ignoring it can impede an athlete's performance, no matter their level.
John believes recovery is the critical element in athlete training. He shares details about a routine 'sub-max test' he utilizes with his athletes, whether pro or amateur. He can document progression and shape optimal training by using power and heart rate data in concert with subjective feedback from an athlete on wellness factors like sleep, stress, and mood. 
Recovery isn't just about easy days or days off. John breaks down other factors to consider in recovery protocols, like stretching, nutrition, massage, and mindfulness, to fulfill the "Three Rs:" refuel, rebuild and rehydrate. He also takes us inside a team bus to learn some of the cyclists' critical recovery strategies while competing in a Grand Tour. 

The other podcast is Kolie Moore and his Scottish mate, Rory.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/empirical-cycling-podcast/id1457497693?i=1000659214930

Kolie and Rory discuss their lists of the best things to do or avoid to maintain fitness in race season, and balance with appropriate rest. Also touched on are race prioritization, training and progression expectations, methods to estimate and manage fatigue, openers, volume vs intensity, and much more including your listener questions.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Two very good podcasts released this week, one featuring “our” resident WT coach.

One common message/theme was recovery and a test to see if you’re fatigued or not.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/trainingpeaks-coachcast/id1435395422?i=1000659500794

In this episode, we sit down with John Wakefield, the managing director of Science to Sport and performance coach with the Bora-hansgrohe World Tour cycling team. John, from Cape Town, South Africa, shares his insights from years of coaching and an advanced training facility in Girona, Spain. Understand why recovery is the key to progression and how ignoring it can impede an athlete's performance, no matter their level.
John believes recovery is the critical element in athlete training. He shares details about a routine 'sub-max test' he utilizes with his athletes, whether pro or amateur. He can document progression and shape optimal training by using power and heart rate data in concert with subjective feedback from an athlete on wellness factors like sleep, stress, and mood. 
Recovery isn't just about easy days or days off. John breaks down other factors to consider in recovery protocols, like stretching, nutrition, massage, and mindfulness, to fulfill the "Three Rs:" refuel, rebuild and rehydrate. He also takes us inside a team bus to learn some of the cyclists' critical recovery strategies while competing in a Grand Tour. 

The other podcast is Kolie Moore and his Scottish mate, Rory.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/empirical-cycling-podcast/id1457497693?i=1000659214930

Kolie and Rory discuss their lists of the best things to do or avoid to maintain fitness in race season, and balance with appropriate rest. Also touched on are race prioritization, training and progression expectations, methods to estimate and manage fatigue, openers, volume vs intensity, and much more including your listener questions.

Just watched John on the Roadman podcast where he also spoke about the submaximal test, an interesting take . 

Hardcore History by Dan Carlin. 

History of South Africa by Des Latham

Cumtown/TheAdamFriedlandShow (losing faith in humanity is therapeutic).

Bad Friends (Bobby Lee and Andrew Santino). 

CONVERSATIONS on ABC Listen; Pack Ice, Seal Fat & the Big Slide…

(recreating Ernest Shackleton’s truly amazing self-rescue)

Upvote 

diary of a ceo, bonk bros, lex friedman

Downvote

Tim Ferris, Andrew Huberman, Peter Attia

The days of drawn out monologging podcasters are drawing to a close IMO.

Radiolab - science and society
99 Percent invisible - design
Smartless - celeb interviews, but funny
Farewell (by the Growth Equation) - health and fitness (no BS)
F1 Beyond the Grid - F1
Planet Money - Economics
This American Life - Society
Hardcore History - History

Wedu The Move during the Tour de France is fantastic. Not a fan of Lance, but he is character and George Hincapie, Johan Bruyneel, etc are great.

9 minutes ago, Baracuda said:

Wedu The Move during the Tour de France is fantastic. Not a fan of Lance, but he is character and George Hincapie, Johan Bruyneel, etc are great.

more like a comedy show, got to watch it on youtube to catch all the jokes that are lost when listening to it on spotify, etc.

Also Hincapie & Bruyneel's inside info through their contacts in the peloton or DS'/Team Managers is entertaining & valuable and put things into perspective when you saw something on TV that didnt make sense to you at the time.

Another vote for:

No such thing as a fish (The elves from BBC's QI)

99 Percent invisible

Cautionary Tails with Tim Harford

Edited by Alouette3