Assaulted by fellow cyclist- Cradle 6 November

FondTF2

Are there any cyclists who cycled in the Cradle today? I need help tracking someone down. This person was in a group of 10-15, one of them seemed to behaving trouble. It was in the bend, leading into the caves road in Kromdraai. This group was spread out in the road. My husband asked that the group “move off/aside” and then continued on his cycle. One of the group took it upon themselves to ride after my husband, tell him to get off his bike so that he could “**** him up” (Classy!) when my husband tried to apologise and calm the situation, this person proceeded to run him off the road forcing him to uncleat. When my husband put out his hand to introduce himself, and apologise again to diffuse the situation this person proceeded to punch my husband in the face several times causing serious harm. The assault occurred around 07:45. We are now waiting for my husband to have surgery. 

If anyone hear this person bragging about his antics or was part of this group, please contact me, as this cannot be left with no consequences. A person can’t just get away with assault! 

SOMEONE in the cycling community must know this person and I would hope they can help us track him down. 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to those incredible people that did stop to help and especially the lady who stayed with my hubby till I could get there.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Will explore those avenues. Have also posted on the Cradle FB page. Someone must now someone who knows this perp. Hopefully they have a conscience and will shed some info. 
A big thanks to Patrick and Laura who stayed with me until my wife arrived to cart me off to Hospital. Currently waiting surgery. Would post a pic but I know some people are squeamish 

have any details on the perp?

Bike brand, helmet colour, club gear?

def use strava - you should be able to pin point the group pretty easy and then use any of those contact to try get further info

32 minutes ago, Furbz said:

have any details on the perp?

Bike brand, helmet colour, club gear?

def use strava - you should be able to pin point the group pretty easy and then use any of those contact to try get further info

From what I can recall, seemed to be on  burnt orange MTB. Possibly an e-bike as to have caught up with me doing over 30 Kmh. Hade a freckled complexion and was not in any recognisable club colours.

Unfortunately was more concerned about my safety than anything else.

This is so terrible and shocking to read this!!!

Did the other riders in the group of 15 not intervene and try stop this? I truly hope that one of them is reading this thread and comes forward... 

Good luck to you and your husband 

17 minutes ago, Mark James said:

This is so terrible and shocking to read this!!!

Did the other riders in the group of 15 not intervene and try stop this? I truly hope that one of them is reading this thread and comes forward... 

Good luck to you and your husband 

One of the guys from the group followed me and assaulted me a distance away from where they were. That said you would think that he would of bragged or said something to the others and let’s hope that he or she has a conscience and says something 

Was at the cradle this morning and actually rode past you. I saw there were a few people standing around you, so I decided not stop. Sorry to hear about this, it’s really shocking and just unacceptable behaviour.

After my ride when I was sitting by the coffee shop next to Biddon having breakfast, I actually heard another group of cyclists talking about what I now assume must be the same group. They were saying how this group they came across were riding all over the place and when they asked them to move over, they were shouted at by some oak…probably the same guy. 

I agree with the above, check out Strava, use flybys and as well check out segments and go through the list until you find who it is. If they not on Strava, maybe going to the different places around the cradle and checking camera footage. 

This definitely can’t be left to rest. Whoever this guy is, he needs to face consequences for what he did.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

45 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

One of the guys from the group followed me and assaulted me a distance away from where they were. That said you would think that he would of bragged or said something to the others and let’s hope that he or she has a conscience and says something 

I truly hope that one of the other 15 decide that they don't want to be part of this assault and come forward... 

good luck to you 🙏

Had a quick look for you on Strava segments. I used the first climb to the caves, as that’s where I saw you and that’s where I assume it happened. I sorted it by Today and Male, and I went to the last page, as whoever did it wouldn’t get a very fast time, but there is only one person who has a really long time on that segment (13min), and I am taking a hunch that it is you as it’s a black mountain bike, not orange. So either they haven’t uploaded yet, or they might not upload it, or they just not on the platform.