Assaulted by fellow cyclist- Cradle 6 November

FondTF2

1 hour ago, i24 said:

Two things to do ASAP:

• Get your doctor to document your injuries. There is a standard police form that must be completed and signed. The Dr's rooms should have a copy available. Some photo's could help too.
  • Then take a copy of that form to the police this morning and lay a charge. Take a bit of time, try speak to someone senior, maybe go to the police station closest to the scene. But lay the charge of "assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm” (assault GBH). The form will make process easier. Assault GHB will get the prosecutors attention if the case gets to a bail hearing.

Then leverage off social media, the press etc. A few photo's or a video will make all the difference. Maybe also talk to PPA, maybe they can get a lawyer to help you.

Good luck and get well soon.

Will definitely be laying a charge.

The trauma nurse has given us all the form numbers that need to be filled in etc.

Have put it out on social media (Benefit of having a wife who has her own social media agency). 
Have also been contacted by Times Live as well as having spoken to Peter McGuire (Central Gauteng cycling Chairman

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the perp actually part of the group or on a frolic of his own? Did the rest of the group react or do anything when they witnessed the assault or aftermath?

21 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Are there any cyclists who cycled in the Cradle today? I need help tracking someone down. This person was in a group of 10-15, one of them seemed to behaving trouble. It was in the bend, leading into the caves road in Kromdraai. This group was spread out in the road. My husband asked that the group “move off/aside” and then continued on his cycle. One of the group took it upon themselves to ride after my husband, tell him to get off his bike so that he could “**** him up” (Classy!) when my husband tried to apologise and calm the situation, this person proceeded to run him off the road forcing him to uncleat. When my husband put out his hand to introduce himself, and apologise again to diffuse the situation this person proceeded to punch my husband in the face several times causing serious harm. The assault occurred around 07:45. We are now waiting for my husband to have surgery. 

If anyone hear this person bragging about his antics or was part of this group, please contact me, as this cannot be left with no consequences. A person can’t just get away with assault! 

SOMEONE in the cycling community must know this person and I would hope they can help us track him down. 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to those incredible people that did stop to help and especially the lady who stayed with my hubby till I could get there.

This is just terrible, I hope you are able to get some headway into finding and prosecuting this bully. looking at that pic now surely the guy literally had blood on his hands.

@FondTF2I am guessing that this message was initially written by your wife, and you were riding alone?

also, were you riding in the opposite direction to this group, or did you overtake and ride past? If it is the former, then this guy would have left his group to come and "hunt" you down. if it is the latter, then the group would then have ridden past. I'm not sure what scenario is better.

The man who did this is the type of person who won't remain silent about it. If he took the effort to chase @FondTF2 down and proceed to assault him like he did, then I'm assuming he want's the recognition. He proves his "boytjie-ness" to his buddies by being the most aggro guy in the bunch. Kind of like he has an "enforcer-complex". 

Someone knows what went down. I'm not a gambling man, but I'd bet that they have already read this thread too.

And now I'm talking to that person:

You know what went down. If you protect your so-called 'buddy' then you are part of the problem. Do you honestly want to be associated with such a person? Do you want or need the affirmation of such a weak person who has to resort to violence to prove to himself that he is the alpha-male he believes in his mind that he is? The evidence is in, and by all accounts he's actually a very weak person.

It does not take strength to resort to violence. It takes strength to refrain from it despite feeling the urge to do so.

Look at Putin as an example of that. Take away his guns and his henchmen and he will suddenly be exposed for the weak little man he is.

Do the right thing, and speak up about who this criminal is.

Yes. He is a criminal. And by keeping silent you are aiding and abetting his crime.

This forum is good for awareness, but judging by the perps mentality he is going to lay very low after reading this, for better or worse.

16 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

This is just terrible, I hope you are able to get some headway into finding and prosecuting this bully. looking at that pic now surely the guy literally had blood on his hands.

@FondTF2I am guessing that this message was initially written by your wife, and you were riding alone?

also, were you riding in the opposite direction to this group, or did you overtake and ride past? If it is the former, then this guy would have left his group to come and "hunt" you down. if it is the latter, then the group would then have ridden past. I'm not sure what scenario is better.

Correct. My wife wrote the post.

I was alone and rode passed them on the way to the caves.

I can only think that he was part of the group and took it upon himself to chase after me.

The actual assault happened probably 1.5 Kay’s from were the group was congregating 

This is flippen ridiculous, to be attacked by another cyclist .....  😡

I'm always looking out for skelms and riding in a group with my pepper spray to be ready if and when attacked.

I never thought that attack might come from a fellow cyclist !!!!

Get the bastard and make him pay !

1 hour ago, Cafe Racer said:

WTF is wrong with people, clearly this isn't the norm ? how angry must you be to carry out this kind of behaviour. 

Agreed. I cant see how this led to the result it did. If OP stuck out his hand to diffuse the situation and then the perp just maliciously sucker punched OP then it's truly absurd.

6 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Correct. My wife wrote the post.

I was alone and rode passed them on the way to the caves.

I can only think that he was part of the group and took it upon himself to chase after me.

The actual assault happened probably 1.5 Kay’s from were the group was congregating 

Got it, so by spread out in the road they were actually just standing around talking? I know we only have one side of the story here, but no matter what you could possible have said there is no justification for what happened.

29 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

The man who did this is the type of person who won't remain silent about it. If he took the effort to chase @FondTF2 down and proceed to assault him like he did, then I'm assuming he want's the recognition. He proves his "boytjie-ness" to his buddies by being the most aggro guy in the bunch. Kind of like he has an "enforcer-complex". 

Someone knows what went down. I'm not a gambling man, but I'd bet that they have already read this thread too.

And now I'm talking to that person:

You know what went down. If you protect your so-called 'buddy' then you are part of the problem. Do you honestly want to be associated with such a person? Do you want or need the affirmation of such a weak person who has to resort to violence to prove to himself that he is the alpha-male he believes in his mind that he is? The evidence is in, and by all accounts he's actually a very weak person.

It does not take strength to resort to violence. It takes strength to refrain from it despite feeling the urge to do so.

Look at Putin as an example of that. Take away his guns and his henchmen and he will suddenly be exposed for the weak little man he is.

Do the right thing, and speak up about who this criminal is.

Yes. He is a criminal. And by keeping silent you are aiding and abetting his crime.

spot on except maybe PEOPLE in plural.

They are probably all reading this. Do the right thing mense, even anonymously.

And in the cape they were advocating pk's to be handed out for locking a back wheel up on the berms.... 

I can only surmise (hearing one side of the event) that the other chap took offense to the verbal dialogue as an insult, then during the next confrontation the extended hand was assumed to be a threat/provocation and the rest we know. 

Sadly, the only way to go about it is via the SAPS. Social media can only help to find him. And then? You'll have to be on top of your legal game once you do identify the person as stringing him up on the town centre guillotine will not get any results and might back fire on you - ie: caution how you flush the person out on social media

2 hours ago, 117 said:

And in the cape they were advocating pk's to be handed out for locking a back wheel up on the berms.... 

I can only surmise (hearing one side of the event) that the other chap took offense to the verbal dialogue as an insult, then during the next confrontation the extended hand was assumed to be a threat/provocation and the rest we know. 

Sadly, the only way to go about it is via the SAPS. Social media can only help to find him. And then? You'll have to be on top of your legal game once you do identify the person as stringing him up on the town centre guillotine will not get any results and might back fire on you - ie: caution how you flush the person out on social media

Yes it is my side of the story, but the assailant was clearly there to do what he did and no attempt by myself to diffuse the situation helped. I honestly don’t think he saw the extension of my hand as provocation as it was done with my name as an introduction. 
Even if I had of used profanity in asking them to move aside, it still does not condone the action.

I would hate to think that if it had of been a woman, child or elderly gent, whether this guy would of done the same thing.

Edited by FondTF2