Review: Titan Racing Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate

Matt

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is...its a titan, whatever you buy it for today you will sell it at a huge loss tomorrow as their high end bikes have no resale value. And a 5 year warranty where most other brands have a lifetime warranty..too many of their older carbon frames have had issues in the past...sorry, but I will pass..

7 hours ago, ajnkzn said:

https://m.pinkbike.com/u/seb-stott/blog/why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-weight-much.html

For the average semi competitive rider, 1 kg probably makes 1% difference up a climb. 

Aero, rolling resistance, skill and reliability of bike are way more important. 

But bikes seem to attract people who want to show their wealth and / or buy “performance” more than any other sport. 

Agreed that the performance gains are minimal, unless, as you pointed out it’s rotational weight, which would make a pretty big difference.

In terms of cycling attracting those that want to show off. I think that’s just human nature isn’t it? Doesn’t matter the activity or context, there will always be people who would spend less or more on something. Be it cars, hobbies or sports. I personally don’t care what bike you are riding, as long as you’re riding. You do you, why does anyone have to justify to anyone else they buy or like. We all have our contexts, some guys like watches, whiskies, etc. Have you seen what the 4 by 4 crowd spend on their rigs? As the song says -if it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad 😀

P.S I think the Titan is fantastic value and spec compared to what else is on the market at the moment. But I do think there is a correction coming.

What's the bare bones cost of a frame only? Without the frills of top end components to get it over the 130k mark? 

And I dunno why you all worry about weight... A good toilet session before you ride sorts that out for you every day

7 minutes ago, 117 said:

What's the bare bones cost of a frame only? Without the frills of top end components to get it over the 130k mark? 

And I dunno why you all worry about weight... A good toilet session before you ride sorts that out for you every day

I got a quote a while back when I was seriously interested, it was R19k without everything.

Hmmm... So you're buying top/upper end components with a mid-ish range frame then

Ok

I'll stick with Nancy thanks

3 minutes ago, 117 said:

Hmmm... So you're buying top/upper end components with a mid-ish range frame then

Ok

I'll stick with Nancy thanks

AGREE, and I will stick to my 2013 RM frame.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:16 PM, karma said:

R130 000... for the budget conscious 🤡

For that same price, you could buy a PYGA mobu frame for around 80k, and have 50k left over to build up a really, really great bike with solid parts. All it would take is some patience and waiting for good deals, and you could have an amazing bike that is super solid and arguably the best carbon frame ever made (IMHO). 

Not trying to bash titan, and it isn't bad value for the specs, but it is very expensive.

5 hours ago, floatfox said:

Problem is...its a titan, whatever you buy it for today you will sell it at a huge loss tomorrow as their high end bikes have no resale value. And a 5 year warranty where most other brands have a lifetime warranty..too many of their older carbon frames have had issues in the past...sorry, but I will pass..

Another Problem is that It Is Overpriced to Start Off With.

Let's Face It This is Not a Premium Brand.

This Brand does have a bit of a following in this Forum ??

Edited by dasilvarsa

21 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Not A premium brand ? Okay yes maybe 

Overpriced? Not really that I've seen , or atleast they have some of the best value bikes that are easily accessible in RSA 

14 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Real question ..... So what would it take to become a "Premium brand" ?

As a home grown SA brand it is unrealistic to expect the fancy franchised outlets of some of the imported brands.

They certainly build a solid reputation with their kids bikes.  Frankly, before buying one of their 24" models I could not care less about them.  Then seeing the abuse their bikes took at the SPUR MTB series I got a newfound respect for them.

Titan then started (or at least I then started reading) publishing the exploits of their racing teams on full sized bikes.  Year by year they improved their range.

Which begs the question: "Just what must they still do to become a premium brand?"

Or is it as basic as brand loyalty to the older known brands ?  (which is certainly not a bad thing either)

On 1/20/2023 at 7:49 PM, ChrisF said:

Real question ..... So what would it take to become a "Premium brand" ?

As a home grown SA brand it is unrealistic to expect the fancy franchised outlets of some of the imported brands.

They certainly build a solid reputation with their kids bikes.  Frankly, before buying one of their 24" models I could not care less about them.  Then seeing the abuse their bikes took at the SPUR MTB series I got a newfound respect for them.

Titan then started (or at least I then started reading) publishing the exploits of their racing teams on full sized bikes.  Year by year they improved their range.

Which begs the question: "Just what must they still do to become a premium brand?"

Or is it as basic as brand loyalty to the older known brands ?  (which is certainly not a bad thing either)

To be honest, it isn't easy to become a premium brand out of SA, but it is doable. Look at PYGA and morewood bikes. Some of the best in the game and they are available in quite a few countries worldwide. They are an example of how a local business should create an image for itself and expand into the foreign market.

30 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

To be honest, it isn't easy to become a premium brand out of SA, but it is doable. Look at PYGA and morewood bikes. Some of the best in the game and they are available in quite a few countries worldwide. They are an example of how a local business should create an image for itself and expand into the foreign market.

Morewood tanked?

I never saw Morewood as a premium brand at all. In fact, what ARE the 'premium brands' being referred to?

Cannondale? I wouldn't buy one again ever. Too many proprietary parts and imported by Omnico. They also look ugly to me.

Spez? The brand that has a bike and price point from budget to super expensive and ticks almost every box the market has created. They have premium and very non premium bikes.

Santa Cruz? Helluva over priced

Yeti? 

Umm.... I don't see Giant as 'premium'... I'm really interested in what the perceptions of which brands ARE premium and why/what they bring to the party to make them so.

I'm not saying titan are, just interested as to what would have made Morewood perceived as a more revered bike company as I think they made a handful of 'ok' bikes for a very short period of time.