Review: Titan Racing Cypher RS Carbon Ultimate

Matt

Weight isn't the be all and end all of a bike's performance, this is especially true of mountain bikes. I've tested a few really lightweight bikes over the years that have been underwhelming or absolute dogs. 
One needs to be really experienced or in the upper end of racing to really appreciate any performance benefit. 

As far as the Cypher goes, I'd venture the frame weight is mostly around the one piece alloy linkage with double load bearings. Surprised that reviews don't really mention this. Anyway, the benefit here is longevity and the ability to handle bigger riders. Maybe further down the line there can be a carbon alternative, with the obvious caveat of an increase in price. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, El Duderino said:

The 2023 S-Works Epic is one of the lightest full suspension XC bikes you can get. It weighs just over 10kgs, and costs R240 000. The Titan costs R130 000. I know which one I'd buy. 1kg is not worth R110 000 to me. I don't think the Titan is competing with the best brands. I think it's for budget conscious buyers who want good value in a decent package. 

R130 000... for the budget conscious 🤡

38 minutes ago, karma said:

R130 000... for the budget conscious 🤡

I imagine Titan as brand appeals to people who don't want to pay the premium associated with top international brands. So, I want a top end XC bike with high end Sram of Shimano parts. If I were not budget conscious, I'd go for a top end Cannondale, Scott or S-Works and pay in excess of 200K. Or, I could be in the market for a mid-range XC bike with mid-range Sram or Shimano parts. I could go with the aforementioned premium brands, or I could pay 40% less and go with Titan because I'm budget conscious. People can be budget conscious in all ends of the spectrum. Just because you're after a high end product, does not mean you cannot be budget conscious. But, I get your point, R130K for a bicycle seems excessive. But, for someone not willing to spend R240K, it's the budget friendly option.

Just now, El Duderino said:

I imagine Titan as brand appeals to people who don't want to pay the premium associated with top international brands. So, I want a top end XC bike with high end Sram of Shimano parts. If I were not budget conscious, I'd go for a top end Cannondale, Scott or S-Works and pay in excess of 200K. Or, I could be in the market for a mid-range XC bike with mid-range Sram or Shimano parts. I could go with the aforementioned premium brands, or I could pay 40% less and go with Titan because I'm budget conscious. People can be budget conscious in all ends of the spectrum. Just because you're after a high end product, does not mean you cannot be budget conscious. But, I get your point, R130K for a bicycle seems excessive. But, for someone not willing to spend R240K, it's the budget friendly option.

R130k doesn't seem excessive, it IS excessive, I don't care who you are or what your point of reference is .... 🤪😁.

Bring the axes, I'm ready .... 😂

I find it mind boggling that people should rave about 1kg more or less on a bike when all you have to do is loose a kilo or two of your own weight and it will cost you no xtra money. There is very big difference between rider weight (70kg - 100kg) that 1kg for the bike is just not worth debating about. I would buy the Titan any time. Very good spec bike.

3 hours ago, zeerpuD1 said:

I find it mind boggling that people should rave about 1kg more or less on a bike when all you have to do is loose a kilo or two of your own weight and it will cost you no xtra money. There is very big difference between rider weight (70kg - 100kg) that 1kg for the bike is just not worth debating about. I would buy the Titan any time. Very good spec bike.

But as rightly pointed out you need to put the same tyres on both before you even know the difference. That is why Giant etc don't publish weights. 

I’ve been cycling for just over a year and the cycling environment still fascinates me. Many people are complaining about bicycle prices and here’s a local company producing products of great value with top end parts at a great price. Then we manage to find ways of criticizing it. 
Cyclists are weird beings. 

As someone who entered the cycling market without any preconceived notions I evaluated all options without bias. I can truly say “all in” Titan Racing provides, on balance, the best new products out there. 

17 hours ago, zeerpuD1 said:

It's Not the Same Thing (Losing Weight VS Bike Weight)

If Your Weight is Already Ideal Losing Weight Would be Detrimental .

Riding a Lighter Bike Would be an Improvement.

Not Everyone is Overweight

2 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

It's Not the Same Thing (Losing Weight VS Bike Weight)

If Your Weight is Already Ideal Losing Weight Would be Detrimental .

Riding a Lighter Bike Would be an Improvement.

Not Everyone is Overweight

😂😂 ...  100% true, but some of us do have at least one bicycle worth of weight around the mid section, in that case, better to get rid of that FIRST ...

And yet, weight weenies (like me) is still concerned with bike weight ... 🙈

Edited by TheoG

Just now, TheoG said:

And yet, weight weenies (like me) is still concerned with bike weight

My limited knowledge of these things tells me a lighter bike would be easier to manouvre and quicker to accelerate. i.e. Take 1kg off the bike or 1kg off the rider and the lighter bike would be the better combination.

Ofcourse most of us would never feel that difference and losing 1kg of rider weight would be more beneficial to us.

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

My limited knowledge of these things tells me a lighter bike would be easier to manouvre and quicker to accelerate. i.e. Take 1kg off the bike or 1kg off the rider and the lighter bike would be the better combination.

Ofcourse most of us would never feel that difference and losing 1kg of rider weight would be more beneficial to us.

The irony .... the "feel" of acceleration is a function of the rotating mass, more so than just the bike and rider weight.

And yet the first thing we do is heavier tyres and bottles of sealant .... both at the furthest radius of the rotating mass ....

Which is exactly why Nino gambles with super light weight tyres.

For those few riders already at ideal weight ... marginal gains and all that .... for the rest ... 😋

https://m.pinkbike.com/u/seb-stott/blog/why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-weight-much.html

For the average semi competitive rider, 1 kg probably makes 1% difference up a climb. 

Aero, rolling resistance, skill and reliability of bike are way more important. 

But bikes seem to attract people who want to show their wealth and / or buy “performance” more than any other sport.