SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

5 minutes ago, dev null said:

OK, so if you have an older bike pre-UDH you are pretty much screwed as far as future proofing is concerned in the SRAM stable. Am I correct or not?

Maybe someone will make a "GoatLink"

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Sram actually research how many riders they intend targeting or is this to just piss off frame designers? I honestly can’t see many people fitting into this consumer market! It seems Frames went mental and now components are trying to catch up. We are slowing creeping up to the 100K groupset within 5 years. When does the customer say enough is enough…? 🤔🙈

19 minutes ago, betaboy said:

Did Sram actually research how many riders they intend targeting or is this to just piss off frame designers? I honestly can’t see many people fitting into this consumer market! It seems Frames went mental and now components are trying to catch up. We are slowing creeping up to the 100K groupset within 5 years. When does the customer say enough is enough…? 🤔🙈

Yes. Looking at new MTB prices I can see myself having to ride what I have. Most average spec MTBs are now just below the 100k price range. Anything slightly decent and you are looking at 120 - 140k.

1 hour ago, dev null said:

OK, so if you have an older bike pre-UDH you are pretty much screwed as far as future proofing is concerned in the SRAM stable. Am I correct or not?

The question you need to answer, is your frame geo and suspension design "future proof". Let us also not forget that if you have an alum frame, technically this frame would suffer fatigue and need replacing after a certain number of years. Unless you are a weekend warrior doing the green loops every other weekend, and are not heavily over weight, then a frame can last you for a very very long time, the same way your components would too.

1 hour ago, betaboy said:

Still very happy with my gx eagle lunar that'll cost around 11k to replace the whole bledy thing 

upset consumers won't stop innovation 

14 hours ago, dev null said:

Yes. Looking at new MTB prices I can see myself having to ride what I have. Most average spec MTBs are now just below the 100k price range. Anything slightly decent and you are looking at 120 - 140k.

Define "Slightly decent" please. 

Because my deore specced ali bike is about 60k. 

If however, you MUST ride carbon and AXS, you'll be shelling out for the illusion. 

15 hours ago, betaboy said:

Did Sram actually research how many riders they intend targeting or is this to just piss off frame designers? I

Sram's UDH is a good thing. The Morey frame designers changing to this the better. It should have been implemented years ago. 

For frame designers it ensures compatibility with Shimano and future sram, and it will eventually bring down the price of hangers if they are all the same. 

Take this from someone who doesn't like SRAM. 

16 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Define "Slightly decent" please. 

Because my deore specced ali bike is about 60k. 

If however, you MUST ride carbon and AXS, you'll be shelling out for the illusion. 

Just imagine how awesome your bike would be if it was rocking on a SRAM GX drive train, not Shimano :P

6 hours ago, Hairy said:

Just imagine how awesome your bike would be if it was rocking on a SRAM GX drive train, not Shimano :P

Or as in my case a complete mix and working like a charm:

Cassette: Garbaruk 12 speed microspline

Chain: Shimano XTR 12 speed

Derailleur & Shifter:  SRAM GX AXS

😊😁

Edited by TheoG

57 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The broken, non repairable sram derailleurs and shifter in my drawer serves to remind me why I divorced sram. 

and here im just wondering when or if the new 12speed TRP drivetrain will be available in SA

16 hours ago, dev null said:

Current AXS derailleurs will be around for a long time. Also the new transmission shifter pod is backwards compatible to older AXS hangered derailleurs. 
the XG1299/95 cassettes and XG1275 cassettes will also be available for some time. So I doubt there will be an issue with sourcing parts for at least another few years. After that most incompatible bikes will be at least 7-10 years old and the owners will have move on or jumped to another drivetrain like Shimano or TRP or Twoo.

classified will be supported by Omnico and they also do TRP so there’s an interesting prospect 

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. As far as I can tell, there are plenty of choices across plenty of price and performance ranges. The componentry keeps getting better and no one will be left behind. Just look at 1970's componentry still available today. Heck, you can get your hands on just about anything these days. If you don't like the price tag of the new electronic stuff - stick with what you are riding. There is no better bike than the one you can ride immediately.

And if you like the Techy stuff and want to ride the latest, well then enjoy it. All these changes lead to an improved market and I'm happy for it. 

Edited by Fred van Vlaanderen
Replaced a bad word

15 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. As far as I can tell, there are plenty of choices across plenty of price and performance ranges. The componentry keeps getting better and no one will be left behind. Just look at 1970's componentry still available today. Heck, you can get your hands on just about anything these days. If you don't like the price tag of the new electronic stuff - stick with what you are riding. There is no better bike than the one you can ride immediately.

And if you like the Techy stuff and want to ride the latest, well then enjoy it. All these changes lead to an improved market and I'm happy for it. 

Very true - my 9 speed 105 groupie works perfectly and you can still get parts. In my case I  think the antagonism towards stuff like this is more around the unattainability of it for most people and the way it is promoted to everybody as if it is,  and that it renders a system that has served everybody well for decades obsolete, which it doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Very true - my 9 speed 105 groupie works perfectly and you can still get parts. In my case I  think the antagonism towards stuff like this is more around the unattainability of it for most people and the way it is promoted to everybody as if it is,  and that it renders a system that has served everybody well for decades obsolete, which it doesn't. 

Yeah, well summarised.