SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This Thread Has Taught me UDH (Universal Derailleur Hanger)

It's a Frame Standard and can be used by any bicycle manufacturer.

If It takes off (It Will) all Derailleur Hangers will be the Same or Derailleurs can be Manufactured to be Mounted directly onto the Frame by any Manufacturer.

When buying a new bike it is Wise to Consider buying a bike that is UDH Compliant.

BTW The Current Scott Spark, Spez Epic ,Spez Stumpjumper ,Giant and Cannondale amongst Others are already implementing this Standard.

Check Here Which Bikes are Compliant.

https://bikefinder.sram.com/universal-derailleur-hanger-bikes

8 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

This Thread Has Taught me UDH (Universal Derailleur Hanger)

It's a Frame Standard and can be used by any bicycle manufacturer.

If It takes off (It Will) all Derailleur Hangers will be the Same or Derailleurs can be Manufactured to be Mounted directly onto the Frame by any Manufacturer.

When buying a new bike it is Wise to Consider buying a bike that is UDH Compliant.

BTW The Current Scott Spark, Spez Epic ,Spez Stumpjumper ,Giant and Cannondale amongst Others are already implementing this Standard.

Check Here Which Bikes are Compliant.

https://bikefinder.sram.com/universal-derailleur-hanger-bikes

UDH compatible frames have already taken off, chances are if you're riding a frameset from 2019/2020 it is already compatible. Plus someone will come up with a conversion solution if they haven't already.
That list from Bikefinder is a good guideline but not comprehensive, expect that it will become more so as it's updated with more niche/none US brands. Brands like Pyga and Titan Racing for example aren't on the list, yet their framesets are UDH compliant. 

27 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Brands like Pyga and Titan Racing for example aren't on the list, yet their framesets are UDH compliant. 

How do you know this ?

Can you supply some proof ?

This Merida 160 Bike Has the Whole New XX Eagle Transmission Derailleur

ONE-SIXTY_10K_grntit_MY2022_03.jpg

Edited by dasilvarsa

10 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

UDH compatible frames have already taken off, chances are if you're riding a frameset from 2019/2020 it is already compatible. Plus someone will come up with a conversion solution if they haven't already.
That list from Bikefinder is a good guideline but not comprehensive, expect that it will become more so as it's updated with more niche/none US brands. Brands like Pyga and Titan Racing for example aren't on the list, yet their framesets are UDH compliant. 

I can't find any pics of a cypher with the UDH and as far as I know its the latest model in their mtb line up 

30 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

You have hit the nail on the head, tgefe is a good number of frames that are compatible that have been around for a while.

30 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

How do you know this ?

ONE-SIXTY_10K_grntit_MY2022_03.jpg

Good looking bike, even in that Jo Burg Lumo Green

2 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

You have hit the nail on the head, tgefe is a good number of frames that are compatible that have been around for a while.

SRAM Should Actually Update their List

6 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

SRAM Should Actually Update their List

I’m sure they will

Any good  bike mechanic can also take a vernier to the frame and inform the customer whether their bike would be compatible or not.

Once it’s fully available and said customer is of course interested in the upgrade.

If the gap between the smallest sprocket and inside edge of the drop out is about 4-5mm then the frame is likely UDH compatible 

#i did say likely

not all compatible Frames are listed because not all manufacturers fit the sram udh. Some use their own drop that is made to fit the udh mounting template 

Edited by DieselnDust

“Amish mtb components FTW” - disgruntled SRAM AXS owner.

i run a bar end shifter on my gravel bike. I like manual cars. I enjoy the involved act of cycling.

I maintain that in an overcomplicated world I crave simplicity in the things I value most.
I see the value in this new hangerless bs…but please don't take away load-shedding addition rear derailleurs😅

Aint nobody got time (or electricity) to worry about charging a fn bicycle. 

Edited by MORNE

6 hours ago, BaGearA said:

1.PNG

👍 … UDH compliant frame, remove the hangar and install a T-type derailleur. Which will include Shimano even, at least going by the current patent circulating.

7 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

How do you know this ?

ONE-SIXTY_10K_grntit_MY2022_03.jpg.  

I freelance with some of the industry media and tech areas. 
The UDH standard and T-type derailleurs have been in development over a few years. Other than comms from the marketing dept and supply chain/product managers I had seen some of original test product on the derailleurs with engineers a few months back. At the time the information was under embargo, especially for the T-type derailleurs and new drivetrains. 

More recently some of the SRAM staff have also confirmed the info in discussions since the official release during Epic. SRAM also had one of their senior staffers at the Cape Epic.

Yip, that is a 2023 model, and pretty blady mooi! It’s a UDH compatible frame, which relates to the hangar. Remove the hangar and fit the new type drivetrain. On a side note, always felt Merida are woefully underrated and undervalued bikes here in S of A.

These links are helpful as well;

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountain/products/udh 

https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-cnc999/

Edited by Danger Dassie
Update

9 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

I freelance with some of the industry media and tech areas. 
The UDH standard and T-type derailleurs have been in development over a few years. Other than comms from the marketing dept and supply chain/product managers I had seen some of original test product on the derailleurs with engineers a few months back. At the time the information was under embargo, especially for the T-type derailleurs and new drivetrains. 

More recently some of the SRAM staff have also confirmed the info in discussions since the official release during Epic. SRAM also had one of their senior staffers at the Cape Epic.

Yip, that is a 2023 model, and pretty blady mooi! It’s a UDH compatible frame, which relates to the hangar. Remove the hangar and fit the new type drivetrain. On a side note, always felt Merida are woefully underrated and undervalued bikes here in S of A.

These links are helpful as well;

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountain/products/udh 

https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-cnc999/

Dino, could you please provide some proof that you ARE in fact on the ground in amongst it?

You could very well just be sitting at home making this up....... 😋

Jokes aside, I think Meria made some really good bikes that perform well, but a lot of the mountain bikes hurt my eyes. They made some fantastic Enduro bikes too. I've just always been put off by the aesthetics. 

15 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

If the gap between the smallest sprocket and inside edge of the drop out is about 4-5mm then the frame is likely UDH compatible 

#i did say likely

not all compatible Frames are listed because not all manufacturers fit the sram udh. Some use their own drop that is made to fit the udh mounting template 

slapped a Vernier on my 2018 YT and it comes in at a 4mm gap...may be in luck with the UDH, just need to really test my luck on winning the Lotto in order to buy the grouppo :P