Dealing with Garmin South Africa...

MudLark

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

When was this? I know this was the case years ago but definitely not in my and others that I have spoken to recent experience. Recently it was more like a marginal discount and often not better than specials you can dig up with a bit of googling. 

In Garmin's defence I heard stories of few people abusing the old system with the big discounts by buying second hand units cheaply and then getting out of warranty discounts on upgrades. So not surprised that they have closed that loophole.

Just checked the email string May 2021, I didn't squeak the wheel on this one and I had a new unit on its way to me after 5 days of Garmin receiving my unit. I'm not sure I should be posting the actual amount I paid for the replacement but I was very surprised when I saw the amount now. 

Incidentally that was my last mtb crash that took me to the emergency room, up until yesterday that is (feeling sorry for myself right now 😆

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats actually a fair comment.

my ole mans Garmin packed up after being cracked in a fall and months later getting caught in the rain.

Garmin stepped up to the plate and gave a decent discount - out of warranty, clearly broken by an impact, with water damage.

thats worth something.

granted its in their interest to keep you as a client

There will always be more complaints about Garmin failures than any other device, given they sell devices in multiples of other players so big a calculator cannot handle.

Garmin has a global replacement policy, which Garmin SA should be following. Issues being experienced are not a down to Garmin, but rather the staff at Garmin SA. I have had a Garmin acquired in SA replaced in Canada, without any proof of ownership.

18 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Again - I don't think anyone on here is really complaining about units being replaced under warranty (assuming that is your case as well) - other than the turnover time being slow.

It's once you are out of warranty that dealing with Garmin becomes a pain, its frustrating when the only solution to relatively simple issues like a worn-out button or old batteries = new replacement unit at a marginal discount.

No - I've had old units replaced at end of life at a discount from Garmin. Well out of warrantee.

My Garmin history started in 2014 with a second hand Garmin520 bought on the hub, replaced by Garmin for nominal cost - about R700 - when the battery died, then replaced again with a 520plus (R900) when I damaged the replacement in a fall. The 520 plus eventually tired (battery) and they sold me a discounted 530 to replace it (R1200). My first 530 I broke when I caught it in a slammed boot lid (R1500), my second one expired after a particularly hot 44degC ride in the Karoo (replaced for free). 

That is 5 new or reconditioned devices over 9 years for R4300 (plus maybe R1500 for the initial hub purchase). Maybe some of them should have lasted a bit longer, but I don't think any other supplier offers anything like this. Most of the complaints seem to be that they don't want to support swapping out your own batteries - same as any other electronics manufacturer.

Edited by 100Tours

Garmin SA are seriously problematic!

I purchased a 1030, used it twice and WITHIN a year it packed up (GPS/ALT issue and intermittent switching off) Garmin SA said I must  get a new one!  The shop from where I purchased it managed to get a new replacement from the factory overseas.

True story.

16 hours ago, Skubarra said:

When was this? I know this was the case years ago but definitely not in my and others that I have spoken to recent experience. Recently it was more like a marginal discount and often not better than specials you can dig up with a bit of googling. 

In Garmin's defence I heard stories of few people abusing the old system with the big discounts by buying second hand units cheaply and then getting out of warranty discounts on upgrades. So not surprised that they have closed that loophole.

Much like the leatherman lifetime warrenty these days. also because of people abusing the system

36 minutes ago, no calves said:

Much like the leatherman lifetime warrenty these days. also because of people abusing the system

this, i think this was exactly what probably killed NavWorld. Their "Core Exchange" programme as they called was used and abused far too often in the end it seems that's all the were doing...

I've been on a garmin since forever... can't see myself moving away from it... 705 which i had replaced by NavWorld for a 800 which i sold for a 520 which i had replaced by NavWorld for another 520 which i sold for a 820 (i hated the touch screen) which i sold for a 130 plus (my favorite device) which i sold for a new 530 (bought off bikehub) been about a year now, and no issues to date.

I still wonder why these brands don't support aftermarket repair industry with genuine parts like batteries, screens and buttons etc. At least it opens some more options for owners with out of warranty products like the cell phone repair industry - I have the same issue with IDT, lots of dead kickr laying around and all they need is a small electronic component that is not available to the general public.

1 minute ago, madmarc said:

I still wonder why these brands don't support aftermarket repair industry with genuine parts like batteries, screens and buttons etc. At least it opens some more options for owners with out of warranty products like the cell phone repair industry - I have the same issue with IDT, lots of dead kickr laying around and all they need is a small electronic component that is not available to the general public.

IMHO there is most likely some sort of brand image saving going on there. If they allow 3rd parties to repair out of warranty devices and they do a crap job then people start talking and bad mouthing garmin devices, meanwhile it was the 3rd party repairer that made a mess, but that fact does not get communicated when bad mouthing is happening.

Thats the only reason I can think of.

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

IMHO there is most likely some sort of brand image saving going on there. If they allow 3rd parties to repair out of warranty devices and they do a crap job then people start talking and bad mouthing garmin devices, meanwhile it was the 3rd party repairer that made a mess, but that fact does not get communicated when bad mouthing is happening.

Thats the only reason I can think of.

mmmm I dont know so much - I mean, virtually every cell phone make can be repaired including apple and Samsung with both genuine and generic parts of your choice

21 minutes ago, madmarc said:

I reckon it’s because ultimately the devices themselves are real cheap to make in the first place. The bulk of the costs being R&D thus it allows Garmin to have handsome exchange programs and still make a fair margin. ( on the device itself) 

I have been using Garmin devices since TomTom folded. Satnav, watches, bike computers all Garmin, I am a brand whore in that regard. Only time I had a an issue navworld refunded me promptly as there were no replacements at that time. 

23 minutes ago, madmarc said:

I wonder how much if any expertise there is around to repair components at that level?

Some years ago there were some around, my go to guy has sadly retired ... recently had to replace a complete garage door motor and make a DIY plan with the charger on our gate motor. Both of which I'm sure were pretty simple repairs .... but ja 'it is what it is' as the cool kids say 🙄

And another crap experience:

My Edge 520 plus been awesome but the menu buttons on the side have perished. It has served me well for 5 plus years and everything has a lifespan.

Called Garmin SA to see if above can be fixed and was told they do not do any hardware repairs but can replace with new 530 at 30% discount. I drive through to Rosebank (always a pleasure .... not) only to be told that in order to qualify for the deal, the technician needs to assess the unit and authorise the replacement ... and all this takes 30 days.

Assistant confirms they do not repair the buttons and says they will replace. In other words, the outcome of the assessment is known yet they'll take 30 days to go through the process. Utter inefficiency.

The products are great but the Yanks have to be told that the Saffers are killing their after service process

12 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

There will always be more complaints about Garmin failures than any other device, given they sell devices in multiples of other players so big a calculator cannot handle.

Garmin has a global replacement policy, which Garmin SA should be following. Issues being experienced are not a down to Garmin, but rather the staff at Garmin SA. I have had a Garmin acquired in SA replaced in Canada, without any proof of ownership.

Not trying to polarise anyone ….. 😁 but Garmin and replacement always appear in the same sentence, scale of sales just highlights it

2 hours ago, Ozzie NL said:

And another crap experience:

My Edge 520 plus been awesome but the menu buttons on the side have perished. It has served me well for 5 plus years and everything has a lifespan.

Called Garmin SA to see if above can be fixed and was told they do not do any hardware repairs but can replace with new 530 at 30% discount. I drive through to Rosebank (always a pleasure .... not) only to be told that in order to qualify for the deal, the technician needs to assess the unit and authorise the replacement ... and all this takes 30 days.

Assistant confirms they do not repair the buttons and says they will replace. In other words, the outcome of the assessment is known yet they'll take 30 days to go through the process. Utter inefficiency.

The products are great but the Yanks have to be told that the Saffers are killing their after service process

This is the core of the complaints on this thread. The issues are known and are not complicated. They do not need extensive diagnosis. Should be fairly simple to replace or offer repair upfront, and yes, of course at whatever rates they deem fair. Currently, the whole process feels very opaque as though there is a mystical divination that needs to occur before you can be told what your options are!

1 minute ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

This is the core of the complaints on this thread. The issues are known and are not complicated. They do not need extensive diagnosis. Should be fairly simple to replace or offer repair upfront, and yes, of course at whatever rates they deem fair. Currently, the whole process feels very opaque as though there is a mystical divination that needs to occur before you can be told what your options are!

Probably has to be signed off by Management.

Ever Worked for a Multinational ?