Where to get sponsors?

Erik Breedt

Good evening

I'm Erik and I'm a 15 year old teenage boy and I'm looking to do the berg n bush race this year with my teammate Cullen posthumus. I've been asking alot of companies for a sponsorship so we can ride but no luck so far if any of you know guys I can contact it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, erikbreedt said:

Good evening

I'm Erik and I'm a 15 year old teenage boy and I'm looking to do the berg n bush race this year with my teammate Cullen posthumus. I've been asking alot of companies for a sponsorship so we can ride but no luck so far if any of you know guys I can contact it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey man, out of interest, how good are you at riding?

If you are going to most likely be a pro, or have a  huge social media following, you are likely to get sponsored. If you are an average rider, there isn't really any benefit in a company sponsoring you.

A sponsorship is a 2-way street. The sponsor provides you goods/money/services, and in turn, you win races/promote them to your large audience.

For example, I would love it if PYGA sponsored me, because then I could upgrade from the slakline to new enduro bike for free. But I realize there is no chance of getting a sponsorship. I like to think I am quite a bit above average in terms of my riding skill, but nothing compared to the top guys in the country.

If getting a sponsorship was so easy, all of us would be sponsored.

Lastly, if you need the sponsorship for financial reasons, why not get a part-time job, or negotiate a loan type agreement with your parents where you pay them back in installments? 

*also it's afternoon haha

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

26 minutes ago, erikbreedt said:

Good evening

Erik, if you haven't done this already, put a proposal together that you can send to/present to the company.

You should cover things like:

- Who you are and why you ride

-  What your goals are for the events you have lined up

- Why you think that XYZ company is a good fit for you

- Why you think you're a good fit for XYZ company

- How you plan to bring them value

- How you're going to report on said value

- What the exact request is: do you want a bike and kit and entries or just kit, or just entries. Be specific as it makes the decision maker's life easier.

Good luck.

Going to be blunt here. Unless you have a history of race wins you are probably not going to find a sponsor. Money is tight for everyone. Our economy is one flush away from the sewer. 

Prove me wrong and I do honestly wish you the best. Everyone is looking for money and no one is dishing it out. Unless you have a relative or mate in the anc it will be super tough. Enjoy the ride. I did it a few years ago.

You guys focussing on race results live under a rock.

I know PLENTY of less than bog average 'athletes' who have a wicked social media presence, tell a good story and LOOK good at sucking who are 'sponsored' by companies.

Up your socials and just send the links to the companies. You probably won't get sponsored but at least you will have wasted thousands of man hours creating content of your or your mates' butts, doing wicked jumps getting 3 feet of air on your sledgehammer and grown your 'brand' into something sellable.

Everyone knows the only way to ACTUALLY get sponsored is to make VHS sponsor me videos and drop them off or mail them to the company HQ. I remember doing that as a kid your age for skateboarding.

All jokes aside, unless you will add massive brand value as a 15 year old with huge promise, there will be a struggle to get any sort of foothold 

You will likely need to win races, have wicked socials, a podcast AND make sponsor me VHS tapes.

Good luck! 

There were two dudes who used to be on here who managed to get a certain level of 'sponsorship' for riding bikes without being particularly excellent.

Maybe best to chat to AAron Borrill or Martin Zietsman?

Go beg your favourite wealthy uncle to sponsor you for the event. Pitch him the "opportunity of a lifetime" by doing the event.  Probably your best best bet.

Lol but at 15, a full time sponsor in our current economic conditions is extremely difficult unless your dad is/was the real deal. 

Thank you guys so much for all of your responses I really appreciate it. I'm not looking for a full time sponsor more like funding for that one specific race.

32 minutes ago, erikbreedt said:

Thank you guys so much for all of your responses I really appreciate it. I'm not looking for a full time sponsor more like funding for that one specific race.

So basically you saw a race and want to go and do it without having to pay for it? Your best bet in that regard will be to get yourself a blesser. 

Back in the day for extra cash for skateboard, cricket and even bike parts, we would save what little pocket money we were offered. Delivered newspapers door to door, collect old newspapers and magazines for recycling and getting payed per kilo. Grab a lawnmower, offer to mow lawns around your neighbourhood, go around offering to wash cars for a few. Loads of stuff you can do! Nothing comes easy

Doing the Berg n Bush '@ 15 😲 - thought there was an age restriction on stage races

Best of luck though - ride it like you stole it 🤙   

Sorry to burst your bubble dude but Berg n Bush is a CSA(Cycling South Africa) sanctioned event and there are age restrictions for certain distances. Day 1 and 2 exceeds them. Entering your age and ID number in the entry form will kick you out. If you use someone else's ID and CSA catch you you'll get a 3 month ban, CSA license suspended or maybe a fine from CSA.

I know this for a fact cause I've seen it happen.

Rather plan a multi day bike packing trip during the school holidays you get to ride where you want, how long you want and get to explore more!

On a side note if you want sponsorship or sponsorship like deals go and work at your local bike shop over weekends and school holidays.

When I was in high school I worked at my local bike shop and would get a bike to use for the year and wholesale pricing on equipment. At first it will be boring making coffee, sweeping floors and washing bikes. But after that phase it gets real lekker!

You'll also learn how to maintain your own bike, all the money you save just from that is worth it.

Edited by Jimmy 2.0

10 hours ago, erikbreedt said:

Something like what many of the Cape Epic teams receive, many are normal average janes and joes but are sponsored the entry fee. So it could be possible, your age (still school going) might restrict your “business” contacts

I would suggest researching the CE entry list for private not well known teams and their sponsors, look for those that are in your vicinity and contact them with a brief cv and motivation letter of you and your mate as per other posts before this.

If you don’t try…. Good luck

1 hour ago, SwissVan said:

Something like what many of the Cape Epic teams receive, many are normal average janes and joes but are sponsored the entry fee. So it could be possible, your age (still school going) might restrict your “business” contacts

I would suggest researching the CE entry list for private not well known teams and their sponsors, look for those that are in your vicinity and contact them with a brief cv and motivation letter of you and your mate as per other posts before this.

If you don’t try…. Good luck

I think you'll find a lot of those mid pack teams are self sponsored riders through their own companies. Probably claim the VAT and fudge the whole thing as a "marketing" expense. There is basically zero exposure for anyone lower than 40th place so doubt a company will get involved unless there is a real interesting story to tell.

17 hours ago, erikbreedt said:

Good evening

I think you've got most of the answers here already, but to add a bit more I think you need to be as professional as possible. Therefore get someone to check your grammar and proofread proposals. Maybe you're doing that already, maybe English is not your first language but the thread title here as an example is clumsy. If you can't take the effort to get that right, how do I know you'll go the distance to promote my brand?

10 hours ago, Jimmy 2.0 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble dude but Berg n Bush is a CSA(Cycling South Africa) sanctioned event and there are age restrictions for certain distances. Day 1 and 2 exceeds them. Entering your age and ID number in the entry form will kick you out. If you use someone else's ID and CSA catch you you'll get a 3 month ban, CSA license suspended or maybe a fine from CSA.

I know this for a fact cause I've seen it happen.

Rather plan a multi day bike packing trip during the school holidays you get to ride where you want, how long you want and get to explore more!

I know of some cases of youngsters missing the age limit by a few months and managed an official entry by changing the month numbers in their ID's and then staying in the middle of the pack as not to attract attention - without mentioning names, one of them had to be held back by his ride partner as he was heading into a top 10 finish - today he is a Pro rider 

But when you nearly 19 and look 19 is different when you 15 and look 15. Chances of officials spotting you somewhere in the field are good.

According to one race organiser - If they break the age rule by even 1 month and its found out or something happens to the rider during the race, its huge problems for the organiser with CSA and their liability insurance   

Another great way to add value for any brand is to do something for a "cause" . Companies love getting behind something where their funds have a lasting impression. Find a charity or organization that you identify with and then approach local businesses in your area to sponsor you the entry. In return for the sponsored entry, you can run a campaign with your family/ friends/ school/ other local businesses to sponsor you a Rand value per kilometer etc. and set an ambitious target or goal to raise.

This creates value for the company that sponsors you the entry as their name is attached to the campaign and shown in a good light, but their money enables their funding to go much further if your fundraising target is double/ triple the cost of getting you to the race.