CSA introduces National Road Cycling Series

DroppedRider

1 hour ago, Zeffer said:

Which categories should be in the series?

Teams: elite/u23 men, elit/u23 women (apparantly we should not call the ladies), vets per age group

Individuals: Juniors, Elites/U23 men, women, Vet A, B, C and D men and women

1. Don't bother with teams outside of Elites. Vets are perfectly happy using team tactics to win individual categories without the need for a team category.
  2. Make vets categories in 10 year brackets, not the 5-year brackets of our licenses.
  3. Consider having two vets categories per start group as a standard for the entire series and mandate race numbers that can easily be differentiated between categories.
  4. Drive a social campaign pursuing serious A-groupers or Open riders to license up and join the race categories. Maybe even subtly appeal to the ego by referring to the A-group as the social riders and fun riders. I'd go as far as emailing all open group entrants with a decent seeding "congratulations, you qualify for an upgrade to race group X, here's what you need to do to."
  5. Verify license categories (at all events, not just those forming part of this Series), or drop the rule that states a rider with a Vets license may not enter as an Elite. Automate this at time of entry, no faffing about at registration.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

On the topic of seeding, races should be obliged to submit race results to a central database, for every event/timing company to use, and not be done by each individual organization.

This suggestion (while not related to this series where licensed race categories will be used) is an excellent example of a for-our-members benefit that a governing body should pursue. 

On 6/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, bleedToWin said:

Yeah, they really have not said anything about the Series or what they as an organisation will bring to the table.

probably R400 cash prize for the winner

CSA has been talking about this for as long as I have been cycling. 

It has taken them 20 years to get this far. 

Finally, let's hope it is a success. 

9 hours ago, Jbr said:

probably R400 cash prize for the winner

Speaking of which, are you able to compete without SA ID? 

11 hours ago, babse said:

Usually only nationals require à SA ID, but even this year the rules didn’t seem to say that anymore and when I looked it seemed I could enter. But my ID should be ready by the time I get back anyways, from there not sure how I can get a SA UCI number or if it’s even possible / if it’s still required for nationals

On 6/23/2023 at 11:55 AM, bleedToWin said:
  1. Don't bother with teams outside of Elites. Vets are perfectly happy using team tactics to win individual categories without the need for a team category.
  2. Make vets categories in 10 year brackets, not the 5-year brackets of our licenses.
  3. Consider having two vets categories per start group as a standard for the entire series and mandate race numbers that can easily be differentiated between categories.
  4. Drive a social campaign pursuing serious A-groupers or Open riders to license up and join the race categories. Maybe even subtly appeal to the ego by referring to the A-group as the social riders and fun riders. I'd go as far as emailing all open group entrants with a decent seeding "congratulations, you qualify for an upgrade to race group X, here's what you need to do to."
  5. Verify license categories (at all events, not just those forming part of this Series), or drop the rule that states a rider with a Vets license may not enter as an Elite. Automate this at time of entry, no faffing about at registration.

On the topic of which CATEGORIES should be included in the series, HERE is an idea, borrowed from elsewhere....!

A quick refresher on our batch descriptions.

A batch is for you if…
Your mountain bike is insured for more than your car.

B batch is for you if…
You’re fast, but you’re too shy to start in A batch because your bike is from last year’s catalogue.

C batch is for you if…
You prefer socializing to sweating on a bicycle ride.

D batch is for you if…
You pack more into your hydration pack than you do for an overseas holiday.

E batch is for you if…
You’re coming for a good time on the trails, not a fast time.

F batch is for you if…
You intend to ride slowly but “only to keep your partner company”.

G batch is for you if…
You’re a roadie, but coming out this winter as a mountain biker to your roadie friends.

H batch is for you if…
You can tell the difference between a cortado and a cappuccino, but chain links continue to baffle you.

I batch is for you if…
You’re a complete Berg & Bush or stage race novice.

On 6/23/2023 at 11:55 AM, bleedToWin said:

2 Years now I have moved away from the "Buy your seeding from CSA" ego **** suckered by age cat riders that has R1k to waste per year.

This social rider still enjoys his races.  

Seed me on ability or just leave it.

Edited by Spinnekop

On 6/23/2023 at 10:29 PM, babse said:

I've competed at Nationals for years before & after I got my Non-SA Citizen ID.

4th was my best result but wondered if I could actually 'officially' win it - hence I left the podium spots for others - LOL.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

Hi guys - here are the rules for the series - lets have it and be kind please.

Reminder its a pilot with the aim to test and learn for a proper 2024 national road series

2023 National road series.pdf 201.05 kB · 7 downloads

Ok we got races confirmed and age categories defined, and you allocate points to the results. So a winner is determined by the end of the series. What do they win? What do the points mean for the rest of the riders? 

I am just trying to understand what the benefit is of traveling and doing all these races? Are these ranking connected to colours in any way? 

19 minutes ago, DanMan said:

Ok we got races confirmed and age categories defined, and you allocate points to the results. So a winner is determined by the end of the series. What do they win? What do the points mean for the rest of the riders? 

I am just trying to understand what the benefit is of traveling and doing all these races? Are these ranking connected to colours in any way? 

National road series champion badge 🎖️

We dont have much to offer this year (yet, maybe an invitation to the annual awards ceremony?)- if it takes off and there is interest, then we can negotiate with some leverage with the EOs and potential sponsors - baby steps unfortunately. The Aus road series is hugely popular but it took them a few years.

One of the potential spinoff can be to include criteriums or road races with criteriums (both for adults and to offer raicng to youths) - remember the crits after Emperors?

Can not be colours unfortunately - colours you earn when you represent your country or province. 

59 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

National road series champion badge 🎖️

We dont have much to offer this year (yet, maybe an invitation to the annual awards ceremony?)- if it takes off and there is interest, then we can negotiate with some leverage with the EOs and potential sponsors - baby steps unfortunately. The Aus road series is hugely popular but it took them a few years.

One of the potential spinoff can be to include criteriums or road races with criteriums (both for adults and to offer raicng to youths) - remember the crits after Emperors?

Can not be colours unfortunately - colours you earn when you represent your country or province. 

I understand its baby steps but the same applies also for new race organizers. What I don't get is Cycling SA launches this product that makes no commercial sense, expect us the riders (Consumers) to buy into this and hope it grows? 

I am not trying to pick a fight or bad mouth this initiative but if something is not well thought out from the beginning it cannot succeed in the long run. I am a member of Cycling SA but I cannot see what this brings to the table if the points ultimately don't matter and I can go do these races by myself as a CyclingSA member or not. There is no value for me as the rider other than participating in these races, which I can do already. Please provide value to me and I will support you to the ends of the earth, but I cannot see this going anywhere. 

Regards

A concerned Cycling SA member

Some of the replies to this concept are brilliant and others are comical.

The crowd buying a CSA license want more to race for.... CSA try create a series that connects existing races people do already to create a competitive type league....

Cyclists: Make me want to do this!

CSA: We can't at this stage, we simply don't have the budget unless this is supported

Cyclists: Well then this is dumb and will never work (Will do at least 2 of the races anyway)

Other cyclists: Grow cycling! But also only grow it for Elites.... the existing 74 elites... but also grow it and give me prizes.... but also stop slow people from financing and supporting it because they suck and will hinder the elites. Also stop people who train indoors from doing it because they are super fast but they suck in groups, so stop them from joining and learning how to not suck. They aren't welcome... But also make cycling more appealing and grow it, but not to them. Only to people we approve of. Like Elites!

hahahahahahahahaha

Cycling Gatekeepers unite!

58 minutes ago, DanMan said:

I understand its baby steps but the same applies also for new race organizers. What I don't get is Cycling SA launches this product that makes no commercial sense, expect us the riders (Consumers) to buy into this and hope it grows? 

I am not trying to pick a fight or bad mouth this initiative but if something is not well thought out from the beginning it cannot succeed in the long run. I am a member of Cycling SA but I cannot see what this brings to the table if the points ultimately don't matter and I can go do these races by myself as a CyclingSA member or not. There is no value for me as the rider other than participating in these races, which I can do already. Please provide value to me and I will support you to the ends of the earth, but I cannot see this going anywhere. 

Regards

A concerned Cycling SA member

I think what they are trying to do is good, but it appeals to a small number of participants. Race Organisers currently foot the bill to organise the event, so the risk remains with them to be profitable, which requires bums on saddles, or a decent sponsorship, of if they’re lucky both.

So whether it’s value (money spend) for a sponsor, or for the participants, it’s always going to be rough start. But if they don’t try, they won’t know.

25 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Some of the replies to this concept are brilliant and others are comical.

The crowd buying a CSA license want more to race for.... CSA try create a series that connects existing races people do already to create a competitive type league....

Cyclists: Make me want to do this!

CSA: We can't at this stage, we simply don't have the budget unless this is supported

Cyclists: Well then this is dumb and will never work (Will do at least 2 of the races anyway)

Other cyclists: Grow cycling! But also only grow it for Elites.... the existing 74 elites... but also grow it and give me prizes.... but also stop slow people from financing and supporting it because they suck and will hinder the elites. Also stop people who train indoors from doing it because they are super fast but they suck in groups, so stop them from joining and learning how to not suck. They aren't welcome... But also make cycling more appealing and grow it, but not to them. Only to people we approve of. Like Elites!

hahahahahahahahaha

Cycling Gatekeepers unite!

Thank goodness nobody complained about the ebikers wanting to join the social rides .... sorry, races.

Surely ebikers dont have to pay for a CSA day license .... 😋

PLEASE read in Comic Sans ....🙈