• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Tranquilitas Rim today. Quite chilly after this weekend's rain. Perfect riding conditions.

]

Hey mini hijack - tell me is would you say tranquilitas is relatively safe during the week to ride around on my own? Would stay on the routes close to camp, not too found of the bits going into town or past the dump as best of times.

Reason is I got leave that needs taking before December and want a place where I can just hop on the bike and go. Thoughts? Pls. To.

I ride from my house in Boven (other side of the railway line), through town, up Slaaihoek road, past the dump and then hit the Rim. I do this during week days on a regular basis. Been doing this for 4 years without as much as a single incident. I've passed a few shady characters here and there, but after greeting (do it in Zulu, it gives you street cred) it quickly becomes apparent that they are pretty chilled. No aggression/bad attidude at all.

Even riding out east around the mountain towards Machadodorp (on the way to Dullstroom) is really not a problem. The Swathis are a pretty laid back bunch.

Obviously there are no guarantees, ever. But from my experience you'll be fine even if you venture away from camp. Hit the Rim and then turn around where it meets the Slaaihoek road, and ride back to camp. You won't see a soul, except other MTBers, monkeys or cows (the 4-legged type).

Let me know when you're here so that we can do a few trails and have a beer or three. 

PS: I almost always ride on my own. 99.99% of the time that is. 

Edited by henningvr